Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times

Advertisements

Got to give the college credit for reaching out to the Black folk.

Too bad, as usual, they find something to be offended about.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Does the article state that? Maybe they would have put out the same thing for a bunch of white students?

From the article:

So you didnt read the very next sentence

Quote:
So I attend Lipscomb university and as most of you know that is a predominately white school. Tonight AFRICAN AMERICAN students were invited to have dinner with the president of the school. As we arrived to the president's home and proceeded to go in we seen cotton as the center pieces. We also stood and ate dinner, there were no seats to sit in and it felt very uncomfortable. We were very offended, and also the meals that were provided resembled many "black meals" they had mac n cheese, collard greens, corn bread etc. The night before Latinos also had dinner at his house and they had tacos. They also DIDN'T have the center piece that we HAD.....
If not sure if you have an agenda, or if you only read up until the part that suited your argument in and of itself and then shut down.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:20 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,507,413 times
"A university president held a dinner for black students — and set the table with cotton stalks and collard greens "

I don't think cotton stalks are bad, I see them in natural arrangements a lot. Usually with Lotus pods, sunflowers, twigs and stuff like that. The dinner definitely could be perceived as racist though. Does he really think that's what they wanted to eat? He sounds racist, but maybe he's just dumb. Good grief, just cook a roast with potatoes and carrots, toss a salad, easy peasy.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:21 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
LOL..cotton stalks has been fall decor for years and never hit the headlines until now.
Unless you are around where cotton actually grows you'd never know that either.

They just harvested near me and I have wads of cotton blowing all over the place.

In the Hobby Lobby/Cotton thread I confessed to growing a bit of cotton here in Maryland. It produces really nice flowers as it is related to Hibiscus. Then the bolls form.

At Christmas, I take two bolls and stick them with candy canes in a Tiki mug. It makes for a great retro decoration.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:28 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If they had been there the entire time, you wold have a point. but the fact that they are only there because of the black people makes it racial.
they weren't there before? how do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
LOL..cotton stalks has been fall decor for years and never hit the headlines until now.
Unless you are around where cotton actually grows you'd never know that either.

They just harvested near me and I have wads of cotton blowing all over the place.
that would be a trigger event for a number of posters here. good thing you weren't susceptible.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:28 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times
Lipscomb president issues apology over cotton stalk centerpieces - NY Daily News

A link to the article which shows the original photos which sparked outrage. The meal seems to be collard greens, corn bread, Mac and Cheese and Hamburgers.

Much ado about nothing it seems.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:35 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
These are traditional SOUTHERN dishes, not only for blacks. How racist of them to assume it is "black meals". I'm a Yankee and eat mac and cheese, cornbread, and steamed leafy greens similar to collards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collard_greens
All kind of greens, mustard, collard, polk salad were staples around our Texas home growing up. Top it off with cornbread and blackeyed peas and you could eat for a week.

There is nothing racist about Southern food whether it be fried chicken, watermelon, greens or grits. Even us white folk enjoy good southern comfort food.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:35 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Personally I think the centerpiece is attractive. But of course my great great great great great great great grandparents weren't field hands on a plantation picking cotton.

They were too busy dying from a potato fungus.
Uh....my father picked cotton as a part of a share cropper family in his youth. In their instance, it was a form of peonage. My father's grand father was born into slavery. In other words, there are people alive today who have talked with people who were actually slaves.

Way too many "greats" in your post. Your use of hyperbole is noted for its intent.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:36 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So you didnt read the very next sentence

If not sure if you have an agenda, or if you only read up until the part that suited your argument in and of itself and then shut down.

It just said the Latinos didn't have those as a centerpiece, it doesn't say they were never out before. I still don't understand how traditional southern cooking, or centerpieces are "racist" and would make these people "uncomfortable". IT seems they are looking for ways to be offended just to get attention.

Again, we have traditional centerpieces in the North with corn, nuts, gourds, and other items that are typical of the area. Cotton is a typical, traditional crop of the South. I don't understand why it is offensive. Now if the President of the University put out chains, and shackles of the slave era, then I would think that would be offensive.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:38 AM

1,548 posts, read 913,607 times
LOL at thread title. I thought he did it on purpose to mess with them. Should've been watermelon and fried chicken, with some grape Kool-Aid. That would've really set them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.