Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 12:27 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.07221610fc07

What a sad, weak generation we have created.
That is your opinion. I don't see them as weak for getting miffed about it. Personally, I would get very suspicious if I saw cotton stalks at such an event. I would. Considering history, it will raise alot of eyebrows with me. It would make me question the persons who came up with that.

Call it being "weak" all you want. I tend to notice that people who say something like that often lack empathy.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:28 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
I would rather have a group of ex-cons over my house for dinner before I would invite college students.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:30 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The main gripe of that black student was the decor and the fact the president brushed off their concerns.

On the Latinos not tweeting, honestly many minority groups are much more silent about things than blacks. Being outspoken is a part of our culture. That's why everyone else wants us to advocate for them ...
Exactly.

Some have learned to stand up for themselves and they often stand up for others.

The guy invited them to dinner to talk about their experiences, then talked about himself and his family and brushed off their concerns.

To make matters worse, there were stalks of cotton bolls about. What the hell was that all about? If it was their usual decor, (cotton boll decor is all the rage now. Check out Joanna Gaines, "Fixer-Upper" Magnolia Market), then why wasn't it out for the Latino students?

Got to wonder what the centerpieces were for that shindig.

And why serve mac n' cheese and collard greens when everyone will be standing?

If he wasn't deliberately trying to insult them, he has got to be the most clueless host/university president on the face of the planet.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:32 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Call me a snowflake but if anyone invited me to a dinner because of my race (though I'm mixed) I'd tell them to go F themselves.

You want to get to know me, my plans, my concerns about the school, etc as a student...I'm in.
do you think he hosted a 'white kid night'?

Old 09-20-2017, 12:34 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is your opinion. I don't see them as weak for getting miffed about it. Personally, I would get very suspicious if I saw cotton stalks at such an event. I would. Considering history, it will raise alot of eyebrows with me. It would make me question the persons who came up with that.

Call it being "weak" all you want. I tend to notice that people who say something like that often lack empathy.
Well I can understand that. It has a pretty horrid connotation for black folks.

At the same time, it is a common decoration. This is because it is very attractive, not because people want to offend you or other black folks.

Reasonable?

Old 09-20-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I would rather have a group of ex-cons over my house for dinner before I would invite college students.
Well, I trust college students before I trust ex-cons. I worry about the ex-cons stealing from me or repeating other criminal activities. I generally don't worry about college students doing stupid stuff like that.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well I can understand that. It has a pretty horrid connotation for black folks.

At the same time, it is a common decoration. This is because it is very attractive, not because people want to offend you or other black folks.

Reasonable?
Perhaps so, but I can't really help but get kind of suspicious about it. It's the way I am. I have to be able to trust that it's the case.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:38 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Will note on the bold, not sure how you came to that conclusion based on the social media post.

I personally think that white Americans should be above stereotyping by now and they shouldn't believe everything they see in popular culture. I think people in general should be smarter than that, including whites in America.

Your bold made me think of old black American icons. If Ida B. Wells had been invited to a dinner to ask questions about lynching for instance and instead of being able to ask, she had been told how good _____ was to slaves and given collard greens and mac and cheese, I think she would have had a problem with that. WEB DuBois, I think he would have a problem with that.

So them having a problem with not getting to ask questions is them adhering to our black American ancestors and our heritage. We are not a stereotype. Our ancestors have been speaking out against stereotypes and condescending treatment for hundreds of years.

No one said that anyone was a victim. Honestly, much of your post comes off as trying to get in good with the conservatives around here. Just like I expect white Americans in general to think and not buy into stereotypes - I think more of them than that sort of behavior - I also think more of you and you should not try to make these particular white individuals out to be some sort of victims or the black students as some sort of victims. Their complaint was that they didn't get to do a Q/A like they were told. IMO that complaint is warranted. Hopefully the college has a re-do and serves some sandwiches and chips and takes the students' questions and answers said question instead of apologizing over cotton since that was not the students' gripe.
I'm basing it on the reactions not the post although the post is along the same lines.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:39 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Well, I trust college students before I trust ex-cons. I worry about the ex-cons stealing from me or repeating other criminal activities. I generally don't worry about college students doing stupid stuff like that.
I can easily replace a stolen item, its much harder to fix a publicly trashed reputation.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:39 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:

and common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies