Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 03:16 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
The 'educated' liberal is a myth, they're far more indoctrinated than educated.
And still nowhere near as indoctrinated as conservatives from your local church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 03:38 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
A college graduate is a college graduate, regardless of the type of major one partakes in.
This is absolutely not true. College provides signalling, learning, and networking and all three of those benefits change dramatically depending on what you study, where. There's a materially bigger functional difference between an MIT engineer and a social science grad from a noncompetitive college than there is between the latter and a high-school dropout.

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 09-24-2017 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: edit: cut out non-pertinent section of quote.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:15 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The media always likes to present Democrats as more educated and claim college educated people are supposed to be liberal. However I've noticed this is probably only the cases in the Northeast, the East Coast and West Coast.

Here in Louisiana, and where I used to live in West Virginia, your average Republican is a LOT more educated than your average Democrat. Here in the Baton Rouge area most of the college educated, middle class suburban people are Republican and many suburban communities voted for Trump by over 80%, higher than many of the rural towns in fact. Its very common to meet people who are well traveled, sophisticated, have high incomes, even have yuppie tastes like going to Trader Joes and still be very Republican. While social conservatism certainly still predominates here in the South, most people are also fiscally conservative and don't believe in government dependency. The culture of entitlement is still mostly seen as an inner city and illegal alien thing, vs in the rest of the country where many young people are also into the culture of entitlement and dependency ie Bernie Sanders base. The most Democrat areas are the most impoverished, uneducated ghettoes in New Orleans and Baton Rouge's inner city areas.

WV is a mostly blue collar state but the most Democrat counties were the poorest and least educated. Contrary to media portrayal, your stereotypical "trailer trash" is more likely to be socially liberal and are often politically apathetic and don't vote. The hardworking blue collar folks, the middle class folks and the business leaders were mostly conservative and also tended to be more openly religious.

Its the liberal Democrats in the NYC and LA suburbs and the Bay Area that vote against their own economic interests just so they can push their liberal social agenda on the rest of the nation.

Who knew that all those people in welfare lines (the Democrat base) in the Northeast , East Coast, and West Coast were so well-educated?

The things you learn on CD!

P. S. Stop swallowing liberal malarkey.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:11 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Nation Wide,

Clinton won College grads with 49% to 45%

Post grad, 58% to 37%
Colleges and Universities are liberal brainwashing institutions.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:31 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,460,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Please provide facts to support your ridiculous claims

Old 09-24-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't see how its been addressed by a rational way by the liberals like you.

You seem to believe that somehow as a middle class person living in Louisiana (someone who IS college educated with a USEFUL degree I put to use) and who is very financially independent, it is somehow in my best interest to vote for sending more of my tax money into the ghetto, as if that would solve issues. Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, and Philadelphia have all proven that is not the case. And though I work in a white collar profession personally, many of my friends do not, and I don't look down on the people who work in these pipelines and chemical plants and coal mines and offshore drilling platforms who make the products we use everyday and produce the coal that powers our electricity or the oil and gas that we put in our cars every day.

And my point remains that here in my part of the country there are plenty of educated Republicans with college degrees and who live a middle class lifestyle despite the media's stereotypical portrayal of Trump supporters as "rednecks" or "hillbillies". Anyone who really doesn't understand the intelligent, educated suburban conservative definitely needs to visit some of the New Orleans suburbs or see the middle class scene that does actually exist in West Virginia. And we vote Republican because we believe in American values and because we know Republican policies are in our best interest.
Just because an argument doesn't confirm your preconceived narrative doesn't mean it's not rational. Step outside the confirmation bias. Fact is you've been shredded on this thread several times but continue to pretend otherwise like a typical Trumpster. Thanks for keeping up the not so thinly veiled racist straw man arguments though. And if we can choose whom to exclude from our tax dollars, I like the majority of the north east, such as those in and near Philly, NYC, and Boston, who subsidize LA, WV, AL and so many other Trump states, would like to avoid my taxes from paying for the third generation out of work WV opioid addict's disability check. Since 10% of the state of WV is on the disability trough that should be fair. Let all these wealthy suburbanites of NO you keep bringing up donthat instead and let me keep my tax money in my state.

Also, I've yet to see anyone insulting those who work in chemical plants or drilling, yet another straw man argument you make. What I criticize is the third generation out of work coal miner with no education wanting to destroy our economy and kill real jobs that pay well and actually drove our economy to turn back the clock supporting dying industries so they can get what they feel is thier birthright simply by being born a white
Male; all the while never lifting a finger to improve thier lot in life.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:44 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
And we must assume that is why you cannot spell Dog.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
And we must assume that is why you cannot spell Dog.
We must assume that it is because he is unemployed.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
This is absolutely not true.
Yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
College provides signalling, learning, and networking and all three of those benefits change dramatically depending on what you study, where. There's a materially bigger functional difference between an MIT engineer and a social science grad from a noncompetitive college than there is between the latter and a high-school dropout.
That is not what the poster was referring to.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
The 'educated' liberal is a myth, they're far more indoctrinated than educated.

They conflated knowledge with a diploma as well. There is no shortage of college graduates who are functionally illiterate, in addition to the ones with zero marketable skills.
Please google economic data for college grad vs mon college grad. Please compare indicatiors between two and make some effort to step outside the confrontation bias you seem to live inside of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies