Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 02:32 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,380,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'd disagree. Look at Antifa. BLM. The whiny, Berniebots that demand free stuff with no effort on their part. The intolerance and violence of so many on the left. The constant attacks on America and especially the working class by the left. ALL of those things are products of our educational industry. All of those acts and concepts came from our left-leaning universities and have for decades. Academia in far too many cases has become a training ground for leftists and an anti-intellectual stronghold. Not all degree programs or universities of course-we still have schools teaching the hard sciences and STEM classes where most often this doesn't apply. But it is far too common in most liberal arts "basket weaving" programs.
Been consuming a lot of right wing media lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 02:55 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,380,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The Key Words here are "never have been".....

I have lived there. Did you know that incest is a real thing there? Or that many people sat day after day on their front porch with televangelists on the TV? Or that drugs and booze are epidemic....or that 3/4 of the young people leave for the cities and other places....

Of that in some towns and counties over 3/4 of the entire population have left?

Now - think about it. Much of the original population were coal miners or the like (some auto mechanics, etc.). Most who could leave - left.

What does that leave?

Note - there are areas of WV where wealthy DC folks are moving - sometimes at retirement or for vacation. There are some other areas with limited tourism. I even have a friend who moved from Philly to Morgantown and established a life there as a teacher....but Morgantown may as well be PA or Ohio.

WV has some natural beauty. But "the man" (Robber Barons, Wall Street, etc.) stripped that place and the people who lived there of the wealth leaving nothing much except for woods and misery behind."

Note - my friend the teacher is, of course, a do-gooder liberal trying to help those people. He even won various political offices, but the status quo didn't like it much.

Beautiful place, tho. I remember bathing in the buff in the Gauley River...and watching baptisms in another local creek while the fog rolled in. Scenes right out of a movie (Deliverance?)......

Learned a lot when I lived there - about history, ecology and the folks who settled there. Learned that I did't want to stay there - mostly because of coal extraction. They can dig up ANYWHERE, even right behind (or even under) your Farm or Homestead.
Incest is a real thing there? I lived for twenty years in and around Gallipolis, Ohio...a river town right on the West Virginia border and I never picked up on that. Incest would have been one of the absolute worst things a person could do in the part of WV I was familiar with. There are regional variations between different parts of the state regarding many things..are the attitudes toward incest different in other areas of the state?

Old 10-09-2017, 03:53 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
People with post grad degrees are quite often people with degrees in the humanities and liberal arts so it's only natural they're going to lean towards voting Democrat. People in a lot of other fields have to get certifications and so on, not liberal arts schooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Incest is a real thing there? I lived for twenty years in and around Gallipolis, Ohio...a river town right on the West Virginia border and I never picked up on that. Incest would have been one of the absolute worst things a person could do in the part of WV I was familiar with. There are regional variations between different parts of the state regarding many things..are the attitudes toward incest different in other areas of the state?
That person you're replying to is pretty much full of crap if anything the part of WV they're talking about has more shrooms and pot growing hippies more than anything else.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:44 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
The liberals in Austin tend to be educated.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:59 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Nope, it's the red states that genally vote against their own self-interests. Middle class and poor people voting to give tax cuts to the 1%.
If only you could do math.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:00 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Education doesn't directly translate into intelligence.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:20 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Many of these blue dogs still cave to the national party on many issues, like they did on Obamacare, gay marriage, and illegal immigration. There are hardly any Democrats who do not support illegal immigration and legalizing the Dreamers who shouldn't be legalized. Many blue dogs claim to be pro-life but many still vote in favor of abortion and were okay with Obamacare mandating birth control and abortion coverage.

Obamacare and gay marriage are relatively centrist issues - most Americans support gay marriage by sizeable margins, and most support expanding access to health insurance as well.

Also, most Americans have nuanced views on abortion- only about 13 percent of Americans believe in banning abortion in all cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies