Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:23 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,142,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Saying that they're 'college grads' doesn't mean jack squat if they got their degree in something useless like "Art History" or "Women's Studies". A 5th grader could pass and get those types of degrees.
You still need core classes like math, science, English, etc... to get a degree in those majors.

You would know that if you went to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 01:40 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Saying that they're 'college grads' doesn't mean jack squat if they got their degree in something useless like "Art History" or "Women's Studies". A 5th grader could pass and get those types of degrees.
LOL, I doubt most 5th graders know anything about art history or women's studies.

And usually when pollsters peak of "educated liberals" or "educated voters" they mean people who have at least a bachelors degree. So in that context a BA in Art History or Women's Studies does actually mean something.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL, I doubt most 5th graders know anything about art history or women's studies.

And usually when pollsters peak of "educated liberals" or "educated voters" they mean people who have at least a bachelors degree. So in that context a BA in Art History or Women's Studies does actually mean something.
If you can find a 5th grader who can pass college algebra or college English, than that kid is a prodigy

Old 09-20-2017, 01:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Excuse me? A liberal arts degree requires rigor, too. What on earth has given you the idea that a 5th grader could accomplish it? Is this your personal experience?

Old 09-20-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Excuse me? A liberal arts degree requires rigor, too. What on earth has given you the idea that a 5th grader could accomplish it? Is this your personal experience?
5th grade in Alabama is their version of a college degree

Old 09-20-2017, 02:00 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
I'm still cracking up that Trader Joes is considered "yuppie" and/or sophisticated.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:01 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Quote:
So I take it you don't go to many art museums, or find any value in them?

What a shame.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Never have been to WVa but I recognise ignorance when I see it. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Key Words here are "never have been".....

I have lived there. Did you know that incest is a real thing there? Or that many people sat day after day on their front porch with televangelists on the TV? Or that drugs and booze are epidemic....or that 3/4 of the young people leave for the cities and other places....

Of that in some towns and counties over 3/4 of the entire population have left?

Now - think about it. Much of the original population were coal miners or the like (some auto mechanics, etc.). Most who could leave - left.

What does that leave?

Note - there are areas of WV where wealthy DC folks are moving - sometimes at retirement or for vacation. There are some other areas with limited tourism. I even have a friend who moved from Philly to Morgantown and established a life there as a teacher....but Morgantown may as well be PA or Ohio.

WV has some natural beauty. But "the man" (Robber Barons, Wall Street, etc.) stripped that place and the people who lived there of the wealth leaving nothing much except for woods and misery behind."

Note - my friend the teacher is, of course, a do-gooder liberal trying to help those people. He even won various political offices, but the status quo didn't like it much.

Beautiful place, tho. I remember bathing in the buff in the Gauley River...and watching baptisms in another local creek while the fog rolled in. Scenes right out of a movie (Deliverance?)......

Learned a lot when I lived there - about history, ecology and the folks who settled there. Learned that I did't want to stay there - mostly because of coal extraction. They can dig up ANYWHERE, even right behind (or even under) your Farm or Homestead.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:07 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
You should cry to the OP then, not me. Regardless, there are no numbers to support his overall claim.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:07 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I grew up in rural AL and two of my best friends and neighbors had parents that had not advanced beyond third grade. However, both the men worked at a Monsanto Plant and they lived very well - in a nice suburban neighborhood with two vehicles, etc. The women stayed home - not a bad life at all.

They were rigid Southern Baptists who I adored - except when they tried to tell me how I was going to hell.

None of my old friends from back there went to college. Exactly NONE.

But the Monsanto days are over - living that well on a third grade education.
Exactly so. My family came to the Kentucky mountains alongside Daniel Boone, and some reside there still to this very day. My great grandfather was considered to be the best educated man in Goldbug, KY because he had the newspaper from Louisville sent to him in the mail every week. He lent my grandparents the money to buy a tobacco farm in the Bluegrass region so that they could escape the poverty that is endemic to Appalachian America. All six of their children graduated from the University of Kentucky. They also were staunch Christians and voted Republican come election time. All but one left Kentucky for good paying jobs elsewhere in the South. And there's the problem - the people with spunk who want to better themselves and earn a decent wage leave the rural South. The ones who remain behind spend their days doing whatever they can just to keep a roof over their heads and have little time left over for politics.

The South has always been America's lost stepchild. I may have a college degree and vote democratic, but I understand all too well why my cousins back in the rural South vote Republican and have better things to worry about than saving up for college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies