Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 08:33 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Are we assuming the Vegas guy liked video games. I don't remember hearing that.
We are suggesting that Hollywood and games have a huge influence on our gun culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 08:41 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
We are suggesting that Hollywood and games have a huge influence on our gun culture.
I think the gun culture has a huge influence on Hollywood.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:42 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Nobody said it was normal. Your petty attacks are amusing though.

Since I was in highschool following 9/11, we had lock down drills. They entailed, nearest to the windows, close the blinds, teacher sprints to lock the door, doors all had a huge pane of glass in them, and everyone lay on the floor face down.
Exceptions were for PE and shop class...
5-10 minutes later, wailing of police sirens were heard, then you'd hear boots out in the hall along with the occasional bark from a K9.

I asked my highschool teachers then, why not get a pistol permit and carry concealed to school and push for the state to allow it? What good are we laying on the floor like sitting ducks?! They bust the window out of the door... reach in unlock the door we're doomed! Your desk is adjacent to the door, see someone armed, yell to plug our ears and thwart the threat yourself. What good are you going to do unarmed? Chuck Norris spin kick them in the teeth?

My sophomore year of highschool they placed 2 state troopers in my highschool. They were armed. Guess they listened sort of... they called them Student Resource Officers SROs for short. They were quite the opportunists too. Wrote tickets in the student parking lot quite frequently...

Obviously a bank truck offers more incentive to a homicidal loon... so why aren't more of them knocked off? I wonder if having armed guards had anything to do with it

So if I had kids, knowing how scum of the earth seek out gun free zones and psychos seek out schools. I'd want my kids teachers to be able to be armed as they saw fit. Not of fear. Acknowledging the risk that exists, and being prepared for it. Would I home school and shelter them from reality? Heck no. Go out and live. Would I be sending them to school with a plate carrier and 3A plate and trauma pads? No. Be a kid! Not a bubble wrapped dork.

You really have quite the projection issue that I find amusing. Weekend warrior wanna be etc.

Again your use of projection and tirade is amusing

Projection? LOL. Sorry son, but I don't have a rifle I like to pretend to be some sort of warrior with. Im sure all the games are not quite as cool with a bolt action . That would be the guys buying the AR15s to regain their man cards.

I'm sure I will see you again after the next mass shooting . We both know its going to happen.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:28 PM

8,154 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The hysteria over gun violence is overblown and horribly misreported. Yes, every single time a senseless act of violence occurs, it's a bad thing. The USA is unique in two ways: Absolute freedom of speech and guaranteed right to bear arms. This changes the dynamics of things in the USA certainly, but matters are not nearly so dire as one might imagine.

Consider this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate
  • This presupposes that all of the nations listed are accurately reporting homicides. Do we believe the numbers North Korea and Cuba are reporting? Is it even possible to double-check their numbers?
  • This doesn't count government purges like China's mass arrest, massacre, organ harvesting, torture, etc of many millions of Falun Gong practitioners. (I guess it ain't murder if the government is the one doing it?)
  • This doesn't count things like honor killings or state sanctioned executions in the Muslim world for things like walking around without a veil or getting raped, etc.
  • Many nations are hopelessly incapable of reporting the actual numbers.
  • Countries with tiny populations and geographical size make for lousy comparisons to the USA.

With all of those caveats, there are still 93 nations with a higher homicide rate than the USA. The USA is one of the very few nations in the Western Hemisphere with a homicide rate under 10 per 100,000 annually. In fact we are well below that threshold, at 4.8. The numbers have been trending downwards consistently. There are countries like El Salvador with homicide rates more than 20 times higher than ours.

So sure it's true that the USA experiences more murders than we'd like to be seeing. But it is not nearly so dire as the gun control alarmists would have you believe. Our homicide rate is relatively low. We are most certainly not "the murder capital of the world" as they often like to claim. Many, many, many nations without legalized ownership of firearms out-murder the USA by a huge margin. Guns are not the root of the problem here in the USA.
Wow, I feel so proud, we are better than 93 countries. Better than El Salvador, and hopefully better than Syria?

Now, to cut the BS, when the homicide rate here starts approaching that of the rest of developed world, report back. For now, it is not even close.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:32 PM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
I think the gun culture has a huge influence on Hollywood.
Well Hollywood is unified behind gun control. Yet they make a lot of money depicting gun violence.

Hypocrites?

Old 10-07-2017, 09:35 PM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Are we assuming the Vegas guy liked video games. I don't remember hearing that.
No I was not saying every shooter can be figured out easily. This Vegas dude does not fit the profile of someone who would want to do something like this. Except for perhaps anti-depressants which seem to be common with mass shooters.

Its funny how you defend liberalism and Hollywood on this issue even if it means more people might die.

Would the world come to an end of we took the depiction of guns out of the mass media?

Old 10-07-2017, 09:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Well Hollywood is unified behind gun control. Yet they make a lot of money depicting gun violence.

Hypocrites?
If the actors/producers/whatever involved in a flick believe the movies have no impact on violence in the real world then it isn't hypocritical.

If they are on the record saying they believe there is a connection logic tells me they are promoting violence.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:19 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If the actors/producers/whatever involved in a flick believe the movies have no impact on violence in the real world then it isn't hypocritical.

If they are on the record saying they believe there is a connection logic tells me they are promoting violence.
What does your rational brain tell you about the effect?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:24 PM

32,076 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

Hypocrites?
These are movies not real life.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:05 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are a TON of realistic first person shooter games out there so I understand the point, I don't have an answer.

Unfortunately, it's hard to know what someone might fixate on.
I don't often do the realistic first person shooter (UT2004, yes, but really, that's not realistic) games. I guess when your work has been like that, it is no longer a game.

EDIT: As I think about it, I guess one of the things about the game is that rounds are going EVERYWHERE and when I am training it is to put all rounds on targets. Rounds that miss are unacceptable. Hence, what's in the game is unacceptable to the way I've been trained. Hence, "Lethal Enforcers" is probably more of the realistic game.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 10-08-2017 at 03:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies