Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 03:25 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
What does your rational brain tell you about the effect?
Wait, I have a rational brain?

Never really thought about it.

But I do know a few things for sure.

1. You have no right to initiate force on another person. The only moral use of force is defensive.

2. Digesting the entire scope and depth of human history tells me we are living in the safest & most comfortable time in our existence. Meaning, humans generally don't need extra motivation from emerging technologies/the introduction of new stimuli to treat each other like crap. And despite technological advancements which makes mass carnage easier we actually have far less now than we ever did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 05:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It MIGHT cause a madman to switch from a gun to a truck, plane, explosives or fire.
So you are saying no precautions should be made to prevent some one from murdering masses of people .because they will just find another way to carry out their plans.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:24 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are a TON of realistic first person shooter games out there so I understand the point, I don't have an answer.

Unfortunately, it's hard to know what someone might fixate on.
I remember when I was a kid, people would blame violence on books from the likes of Stephen King or comic books.

The one thing people seem to forget is there are millions of people who read these types of books or play COD, GTA, etc. and are totally normal, non-violent people.

The underlying issue to these mass shootings is mental health combined with ease of access to any number of weapons someone can purchase without passing a mental health test.

Yes, I understand it is a right to own a gun and get your militia on. I get it. What I don't get is why people can't (or won't) understand that we have to meet certain requirements for a litany of things we do everyday. So why do we not apply this same standard to ownership of an item that can kill people?

Old 10-08-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The Truth About Video Games and Gun Violence – Mother Jones

Seems those studies have different results so I wouldn't be so quick to make assumptions.

American culture romanticizes gun ownership. Always has...and that is reflected in the movies, tv shows, books, etc. It just is.

Blame 'liberals' all you want....
Is it art imitating life or life imitating art?

Old 10-08-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
We are suggesting that Hollywood and games have a huge influence on our gun culture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I think the gun culture has a huge influence on Hollywood.
If eating ice cream was something that sold movie tickets, Hollywood would be making movies featuring big name stars eating ice cream.

Hollywood is a business and it does its research before greenlighting scripts and movies to invest in. IOW, they know the masses have always loved a good shoot 'em up movie so that's where they invest money.

May I remind everyone of such classics like White Heat, He Walked By Night, Obsession, Act of Violence and Brute Force (1940s)? In the 1950s we had gems like In a Lonely Place, Pick Pocket, Pickup on South Street, The Violent Years, Blackboard Jungle and The Hitchhiker? The 1960s and 70s brought us movies like Faster Pussycat Kill Kill, Fistful of Dollars, The Wild Angels, A Clockwork Orange, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Death Wish and Massacre at Central High. In the 80s and 90s we had Scarface, Mad Max 2, 52 Pick Up, Rambo, Cobra, Natural Born Killers, Seven, Reservoir Dogs and Falling Down.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:38 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
. What I don't get is why people can't (or won't) understand that we have to meet certain requirements for a litany of things we do everyday. So why do we not apply this same standard to ownership of an item that can kill people?
What "requirements" are not being applied?

Old 10-08-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Wow, I feel so proud, we are better than 93 countries. Better than El Salvador, and hopefully better than Syria?

Now, to cut the BS, when the homicide rate here starts approaching that of the rest of developed world, report back. For now, it is not even close.
Yes. That's a very sound opinion.

Let things get worse before doing anything.

We are a reactive nation by nature so your philosophy dovetails nicely with that. Bravo.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Having to pass a mental health examination before being allowed to purchase weapons. An actual exam. Just like when someone who has seizures must have a doctor approve them driving.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:45 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
We have background checks. 99% of gun sales go through a background check. This is technically UN Constitutional because it could be seen as an INFRINGEMENT on our NATURAL RIGHTS upheld by the Second Amendment. Also, criminals get guns every day illegally. So yes, we have requirements for gun ownership. However, it is a Right, not a privilege.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:51 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Having to pass a mental health examination before being allowed to purchase weapons. An actual exam. Just like when someone who has seizures must have a doctor approve them driving.
So you want to institute a firearms licensing program with psych and medical standards?
You are aware we already have NICs, "background checks" with ATF Form 4473?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies