Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 03:07 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Maybe not, but that's where you belong. You're all about power and control. All about dictating how others should live their lives. Subscribe to my way of thinking or you'll pay the price. That's your mantra.
Says the guy who wants to facilitate more mass murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 03:10 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Guns are not the issue. The Swiss are well-armed, and they don't have anywhere near the amount of violence.

I think the real issue is how people are raised. The USA in general endorses treating their young like prisoners more than most other developed countries. People are raised that might makes right.

Cultivate that mentality, and don't be surprised if people grow up to be more violent here, or if they are unable to act right without having to be forced. It's what they're used to.
I can agree with this.

We also have a very self centered culture here in this country. Just look at any number of threads on the state of public schools, healthcare, elder care or the environment. People in this country honest to God believe they should be allowed to do whatever they want to do whenever they want to do and damned the consequences to others in their way.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Insurgency. Obviously Iraq and Vietnam are lessons in how our military has a hard time dealing with it. And in this case, that insurgency would be American people so what do you think would happen?
You're kidding me right?

They are following laws that restrict what we can and cannot do on foreign soil. If our government wished to totally incapacitate the populace, do you think they'd give two craps about rules of engagement on their own soil?

Old 10-03-2017, 03:16 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Yup.

That's a good thing, by the way.
No, because it is not grounded on a solid foundation, nor does it even have any practical, pragmatic or factual applications.
You can just make anything up you like, such as beings from another planet should come and make us stop our petty squabbles like in the original movie, "The Day The Earth Stood Still". That may be your wish/fantasy, but it is not based in reality.

More importantly, your liberal hopes are in direct contrast to our countries founding principles. You'd have better luck if you were to say I am going to a country that does not have all these things in their founding documents that I do not like.

But as an American, you must accept both what you like and what you do not. I and most other Americans accept that we will not always get what we want, but are overall very happy with our country. That is especially true when compared to other countries.

`

Old 10-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You assume that Government forces will follow unlawful orders Some maybe but I can't see a bunch or 20 something kids kicking in mom and dads door to take the guns they grew up with or going toe to toe with guys they just served with The same thing gets said every time this crap happens...

P.S. As has been said many times... Have you noticed government forces still continue battle rogue forces equipped with not much more then small arms across the world....
Dude, if a government is taking over their people by force, why in God's name would you or anyone else think they are going to follow laws? If they were following laws in the first place, a takeover wouldn't be happening!

Old 10-03-2017, 03:26 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Actually, they did. The "experts" (unnamed, of course) cited in their article may call it 5, but experts in the US use the number 4 to define "mass killings". As do I.
No.
They did not lie or contradict themselves.

They clearly stated that they are defining a mass killing as a gunman killing 5 or more people excluding him/her self.

A gunman killing 4 people and him/her self absolutely does not meet that definition.
Neither does 10 people being killed in an arson attack.

You may disagree with the definition they are using.

But in no way does the article lie or contradict itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That article is a lie.

It states in the first paragraph: The oft-cited statistic in Australia is a simple one: There have been no mass killings — defined by experts there as a gunman killing five or more people besides himself — since the nation significantly tightened its gun control laws almost 20 years ago.

They then contradict themselves by citing a mass killing in that involved a gun: The deadliest shooting since 1996 occurred last year, when a farmer in New South Wales fatally shot his wife and three children before killing himself. That's right folks, that's not "none".

They also muddy the waters by saying mass killings are defined as a gunman killing 5 or more. No, that would be a mass "shooting".

And what of these "mass killings"?

6/23/2000 - Arson attack that killed 15.
2/7/2009 - Arson attack that killed 10.
11/18/2011 - Arson attack that killed 11.
12/14/2014 - Stabbing that killed 8.
1/20/2017 - Vehicle attack that killed 6.

The article lies in the first paragraph. My examples show that if evil people are bent on killing, they will kill. Take their guns away, and they will resort to any number of other weapons.
Wife = 1
Kids = 3
Total = 4

4 < 5
The article didn't lie.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:26 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Says the guy who wants to facilitate more mass murder.
Says the guy who can not dispute what I've posted. Don't even bother, you've wasted enough of my time already. You're just not worth it anymore.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Dude, if a government is taking over their people by force, why in God's name would you or anyone else think they are going to follow laws? If they were following laws in the first place, a takeover wouldn't be happening!

That was one of the most nonsensical statements I've ever read. In the event of a civil war there will be no laws.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You're kidding me right?

They are following laws that restrict what we can and cannot do on foreign soil. If our government wished to totally incapacitate the populace, do you think they'd give two craps about rules of engagement on their own soil?
From my earlier post:
Quote:
You may think that the government has a monopoly of power with their superior weapons. But it is highly unlikely that the military if ordered to do so would come in and destroy all of their friends, families and neighborhoods. There would be nothing left for them to come home to. More than likely they would use those weapons on those who ordered them to do so.

With some 80 million or so legal gun owners and taking an educated guess. I'd say that most members of the military have their own private arms and believe in the 2nd Amendment and Constitutional Law. They've taken oaths to uphold it. Same for members of law enforcement who would refuse to go on house to house searches to confiscate privately held arms. Not only that but there's not enough manpower or money to conduct such a massive operation. Not to mention tying them up from all other duties they are required to perform. They'd also be met with massive armed resistance which would be overwhelming. Hell, after 10 years we couldn't defeat the North Vietnamese with all of our firepower short of using nuclear weapons and igniting another world war. You think they'll do that to their own country?

Then there's all of the retired law enforcement and military veterans that have been trained in both military and law enforcement tactics who are also staunch defenders of the 2nd Amendment. A massive well trained army unto itself.

But keep on trying to abolish our civil liberties and Constitutional Law. You really have no idea of what the reality is that you will have to deal with in the event of a civil war. You'll never win, that you can count on.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:37 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
No.
They did not lie or contradict themselves.

They clearly stated that they are defining a mass killing as a gunman killing 5 or more people excluding him/her self.

A gunman killing 4 people and him/her self absolutely does not meet that definition.
Neither does 10 people being killed in an arson attack.

You may disagree with the definition they are using.

But in no way does the article lie or contradict itself.
I'd call that convenient, personally. I guess you are only "killed" if you are shot? How handy for the narrative.

And yes, I do disagree with their definition. Which is why I take information given out by the biased media with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies