Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 06:16 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times

Advertisements

With all the talk about "Doing Something" about gun violence, it got me thinking.
Most of ideas on here are completely unconstitutional (secret no buy list,outright bans) some of them are just plain ridiculous (camara's on guns)

How about this...If your caught with a stolen gun, caught stealing guns, Felon with a gun, caught with an illegal gun (modified to full auto etc.) You get the full monty, No plea bargain's ( DA's banned from bargaining) full maximum sentence+ with no parole, A judge can add to but not lower a sentence.

I would even go so far as to ban Governor's from being able to parole them.

What do you say, you want to do something right, right?

RR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 06:19 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
That should be the democrat party motto... "Do something!"

Dont ask us what it should be or punish criminals for committing crimes... Just do something... For the children! Make sure the new laws punish law abiding citizens with no criminal record in the process while we continue to give thugs with felony possession of a firearm a slap on the wrist and send them back out on the streets do they can commit more crime... After all its the gun's fault... These poor thugs are just victims of bad parents!

Old 10-03-2017, 06:21 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You really think being equipped with your own arsenal would ever prevent a determined government from destroying you? Do you have a tank? Do you have drones that can kill? Do you have advanced surveillance methods? Do you have a plane that drops bombs? Do you have explosives? You could collect ammunition all your life and you would never own a fraction of the killing machines that the U.S. military owns.
Well as it turns out, I don't own a firearm; have never handled anything bigger than a .22-calier rifle in a college rifle class, and recognize that I'll never be a good shot due to a spinal curvature that leaves me permanently "out of plumb".

But I divide my time between two rural communities where everyone knows everyone else (and yes, we do have our share of minorities), where a young man knows how to handle a rifle before he enlists in the military (comes in plenty handy when the chips are down in combat), and where sport hunting is a long-standing tradition (just not for everybody), I've heard on many occasions that if gun registration were forced upon us, those who had weapons might register one or two, and "overlook" the rest; Veteran policemen can cite city blocks in rotten neighborhoods where there are far more already-illegal guns than in just about any rural municipality.

There have been tragedies, thanks to growing alienation (fed by the shallow, biased and pernicious nature of the mass media) there likely will be more.But what we need is a well-researched and Constitutionally-policed effort to identify and restrain/remove the thugs, punks and occasional lone nuts who are the real source of the problem.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-03-2017 at 06:35 PM..

Old 10-03-2017, 06:22 PM

7,510 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Do YOU have more relevant experience than a woman in that regard, Bob?

Please accept my apologies in advance in case you’re gay and have seen more penises than dot.

How many weapons does a person need to have?
As long as they're not being used for nefarious purposes, as many as they want and can afford.

A lot of people collect firearms just as people have car collections, collect antiques, art, pottery, dolls, Teddy bears or just plain junk. It's not a matter of needs and you have no business deciding for others what their needs should be. Just because you don't approve of or understand it. A lot of us resent being told by people of which the likes of you, on how we should live our lives according to your standards.

We are supposedly, at least for now still a free country. We don't go around rewarding the guilty by punishing the innocent by advocating for and passing laws that would criminalize their lawful activities and by threatening and in some cases confiscating their legally held private property. That's what gun control activists are all about. They're conniving and deceptive. Instead of "gun control" they now use the term "gun safety". As it doesn't sound as threatening but the end results are the same. It's not about safety at all it's about control.

We already have thousands of laws that address the criminal and negligent mis-use of firearms along with laws that address every conceivable criminal act imaginable. Any additional laws would be redundant and do nothing to effectively thwart those activities.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:22 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times
Nothing will be done.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:23 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Your idea would have done absolutely nothing to stop the Las Vegas shooting.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:23 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times
Nothing will be done. Vegas changes nothing, it means nothing.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:25 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks69 View Post
Contrary to the title of the thread, I don't think we can actually solve this debate but I am curious if the collective people here on City Data can come to any type of solution. Even a little..........
Pretty much every thread you read about gun violence has the exact same arguments over and over so I am going to challenge you NOT to post unless you can offer some glimmer of a solution. Even a weak solution that could potentially be built upon. Please read to the end before posting.

Pro-Gunners
I am a pro-gun individual but I am challenging you to really think about this and offer up what you are willing to do towards gun control / stopping all types of gun violence. As for myself I would agree to 1) make all full auto weapons illegal for sale to the public regardless of stamps. 2) All silencer's to be illegal as there isn't a real good reason to have them other than their cool........and don't do the whole hearing protection argument as it is weak. 3) Make tannerite illegal...........mark my words it will be used in a mass killing. Why is this product legal? I know it is damn fun and really cool to blow stuff up but think about it. Why is it legal? 4) Eliminate bump stocks. By all indications bump stocks were used in Vegas. (My own disclaimer to the above. I have not shot a full auto firearm but would love to do so. I have used a silencer, tannerite and a bump stock. All of which were a lot of fun but that is about it in my opinion........fun.)

Anti-Gunners
I apologize but I have a difficult time thinking as you do. This is not a slap in the face as I truly do want to understand your position. Perhaps you could bring answers to these questions to the thread. 1) Chicago and Washington D.C. have the strictest gun laws in existence yet they have the highest gun related crimes in the US. Why? 2) Regardless of what gun laws are put into place, people like Steve Paddock don't care. If they are willing to fire full auto into a crowd of 22,000 then they could really care less about a gun law. After all it is illegal to murder someone right? How do you address this? 3) I heard on the radio today there is 330,000,000 firearms in the US..........if they are made illegal what keeps the entire US from being turned into a large scale version of Washington D.C. and Chicago? 4) There has been a lot of discussion about mental health and gun ownership. How do you enforce this? How do you decide if someone is mentally fit to own a firearm or not? I would sure bet that Steve Paddock would have passed the test.

Guess we will see where this goes from here. I sincerely hope to see honest soul searching on how to help the situation.
I just posted my solution on a a new thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-violence.html

I doubt the anti-gun people will go for it thought, punishing actual criminals is always very low on there list of things to do.

RR

Old 10-03-2017, 06:26 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Your idea would have done absolutely nothing to stop the Las Vegas shooting.

No, but he's right that the focus should be on "criminal control" rather than "gun control."

Old 10-03-2017, 06:27 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And I sell machineguns too. Make some nice change doing it too.
Good. So you don’t mind if someone kills you with one of them, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies