Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 04:16 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have never know anyone personally who has stopped a criminal by having a gun, which includes myself as a young woman and as young married woman whose husband owned guns after a home robbery attempt.

Personally, I have had more contacts with gun owners shooting themselves and others; coworker who was shot by her ex with her own gun, elderly neighbor who shot her invalid husband in his wheelchair, and just last June childhood friend with cancer who shot himself in the head in his home for his wife to find him.
I have known someone personally who has stopped a criminal by having a gun.

He was a retired Colonel I work for in the 80s. He was going down to the gun smith to have his pistol worked on when at a stop light, someone got in his car and tried to rob him. He invited the would be thief to sit still as he dropped him off at the police station.

Perhaps in my years, I can recall others.....but that Colonel immediately comes to mine.

Equally, I knew a Major who took his head off in the backyard with a shotgun. One of my elementary school friends died as a teen at a party by someone who thought the gun was empty and was playing a joke.

So, I do know both sides of the coin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 04:18 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That was one of the most nonsensical statements I've ever read. In the event of a civil war there will be no laws.
My statement or the one to which I replied?

Old 10-03-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
From my earlier post:

Then the whole "fighting against government powers" argument is moot...

Old 10-03-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
As gun sales have increased, the murder rate has decreased.
Causation or correlation?

Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Ever heard of guerilla warfare? It's the reason why American forces weren't able tp "pacify" most of the rural regions of Vietnam. why the Soviet Union failed in Afghanistan, and why neither a hostile invading force, nor a bureaucracy full of do-gooders would have any hope of subjugating rural America.

Let's make a deal; stay within the confines of your little blue safe space, and we'll have no need to force our thinking on you.
Do me a favor: if my posts bother you so, place me on ignore. I will not listen to you or anyone else as to what topics I may or may not post on.

The fact that you and others believe its totally impossible for a government to use its strongest weapons against its own citizens completely invalidates the entire militia argument you've all been bandying about for years. And yet you don't see it. Amazing.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
You are misinformed. Hawaii is the State with least gun violence:
The 10 States With the Least Gun Violence - 24/7 Wall St.
Vermont ranked as 'Safest State' | Vermont Business Magazine

Old 10-03-2017, 04:26 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do me a favor: if my posts bother you so, place me on ignore. I will not listen to you or anyone else as to what topics I may or may not post on.

The fact that you and others believe its totally impossible for a government to use its strongest weapons against its own citizens completely invalidates the entire militia argument you've all been bandying about for years. And yet you don't see it. Amazing.
I reuse to let you off the hook by ignoring a threat; the fact that you responded in the manner you did merely underscores your inability to present a coherent rebuttal.

Of all the mass killings in North America since Howard Unruh's rampage back in 1949, the incident linked below probably bears the closest resemblance to Sunday's tragedy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

There are lessons to be learned here, and the outcome probably won't satisfy either of the two extreme positions, but a closer look at contributing factors and the less-polarizing steps taken at the time would at least provide a starting point.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-03-2017 at 04:38 PM..

Old 10-03-2017, 04:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have never know anyone personally who has stopped a criminal by having a gun, which includes myself as a young woman and as young married woman whose husband owned guns after a home robbery attempt.

Personally, I have had more contacts with gun owners shooting themselves and others; coworker who was shot by her ex with her own gun, elderly neighbor who shot her invalid husband in his wheelchair, and just last June childhood friend with cancer who shot himself in the head in his home for his wife to find him.

Well here is 533 pages worth of stops, to go against your 3 examples.
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/

Actually you have only two valid examples, since as has been pointed out, there is no correlation between gun control and suicide control. Japan has gun control to the point where there Olympic athletes in shooting sports have to leave the country to train, yet Japan has a higher suicide rate than the U.S.

I have personally stopped a criminal with a gun, years ago when I was working graveyard shift at a convenience store, and turned away an armed robbery attempt by virtue of having a gun. No shots were fired. The would-be robber ran out the door and was not apprehended. But hopefully he learned a lesson and found a different way to get money.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:48 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
America is Not giving up its guns, try and find yourself gone either politically or physically. Wrap you head around that Fact. There will be no Confiscations, there will be no Voluntary Turn In's of guns, there will be no Australian Style Reforms, and there will be no new invasive Laws to curtail the Right to Bear Arms. The sooner some of you realize that Fact the better, even many on the Left stand against stupid gun laws that would have Zero effect.

The Problem is Not guns, they were everywhere when I was a kid, we did not have this issue, the Problem is Us. Deal with the criminals and then address the Real Problem, the mental health issue that is plaguing this Nation. We as a People need to Learn and then accept the Fact that we have a major problem and it is not guns, it is People that need help surviving in our Society, which anyone with half a brain knows is not being addressed. We love to blame a tool for the actions People do, and yet are quick to ignore the underlying problem, does that make any sense. We are the Problem, not guns, or cars, or knives, WE are the problem.
Now does anyone want to talk about mental health, or is whining about the tool they used more comforting?

Heads out of arse folks,
Thanks,
now back to whatever it was you were doing....................Done with this.......

Old 10-03-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I reuse to let you off the hook by ignoring a threat; the fact that you responded in the manner you did merely underscores your inability to present a coherent rebuttal.

Of all the mass killings in North America since Howard Unruh's rampage back in 1949, the incident linked below probably bears the closest resemblance to Sunday's tragedy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

There are lessons to be learned here, and the outcome probably won't satisfy either of the two extreme positions, but a closer look at contributing factors and the less-polarizing steps taken at the time would at least provide a starting point.
I have no clue what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies