Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 11:41 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The Constitution was meant to be amended as circumstances changed.

Anyway we don't need to ban all guns, just the ones capable of putting out large numbers of rounds in a very short period of time. Repealing the second amendment may not even be necessary to accomplish that.
Hmmmm, just here marking time to catch up later.

Such as to re-note that the technology of some of the features of guns today predate the Constitution by decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puckle_gun

An exchangeable magazine, decent rate of fire, and predates the Constitution by about 60 years or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalthoff_repeater

This rifle could fire every 2-3 seconds and it predates the Constitution by over 100 years.

Even if we say, "Well, they were impractical back then," the point still stands that proof of concept of what weapons could become existed when the Constitution was written.

Please, carry on, I'll check back tonight....assuming the thread is still open, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 11:41 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Something to think about:
Quote:
"The law has been used to destroy it's own objective; It has been applied to annihilating the justice that it was supposed to maintain; to limiting and destroying rights which it's real purpose was to respect. The law has placed the collective force at the disposal of the unscrupulous who wish, without risk, to exploit the person, liberty, and property of others. It has converted plunder into a right in order to protect plunder. And it has converted lawful defense into a crime, in order to punish lawful defense." "But it is also true that a man may live and satisfy his wants by seizing and consuming the products of the labor of others. This process is the origin of plunder." --- The Law by Frederic Bastiat (1801-1850) French economist, statesman, and author.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:42 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
There are over 12,000 gun related homicides in the US every year. Which averages about 230 people per week or the equivalent of jetliner. If ever week a jetliner crashed killing 230 people, how long would we go before we made major overhauls to either the planes or the airline industry?

If every week 230 people died from contaminated drinking water how long would we go before we started purifying the water?

If Hurricane Irma swept in and killed 12,000 people would we make major overhauls to ensure it didn't happen again?

Yet we accept 12,000 gun deaths a year and we do nothing. We have no right calling ourselves a first world nation.
It's a race/culture problem, not a gun ownership problem. Look at the disparities in gun violence by race, and then consider the fact that Whites have a higher rate of gun ownership:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/socia...ite-americans/

The demographics of gun ownership in the U.S. | Pew Research Center

Old 10-03-2017, 11:43 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Let's talk about real solutions:

1. Stop releasing anybody who is ineligible to own a firearm. They need to stay in prison or hospital until their situations change.

2. Impose a mandatory 10 years minimum sentence without parole for anybody committing any felony with any arm, not just guns. The second time, the person gets life without parole.

3. Abolish background check entirely (see #1) - employment or gun purchase. Either people have paid the debt to the society or they should stay in prison until such time.

4. Prohibit all media from glorifying mass murderers. For example, a murderer should only not be named or he should be given ridiculous nickname. Language such as "most deadly mass shooting in history" should not be used.

5. All accomplices including the straw purchaser should be charged with the same crime as the primary.

6. Parents should be held liable for their children (<18) using their guns to commit crime.

7. Change the prison system so that inmates must work, learn or both.

Sorry, this would require actual thought and besides, it might actually work.

Much easier to blame Republicans and the NRA while calling for impractical, unenforceable and ineffective laws that violate the 2nd amendment.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:45 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Own a musket. For home defense since thats what the found fathers intended, of course.

Five ruffians barge in my domicile.

"What the devils!?" AS I put on my powdered wig on and spring from my stool.

Grab my Kentucky long rifle. First scallywag through the door gets a baseball sized hole through his chest. He's dead before he hits the ground.

Draw my pistol on the second one BANG misses completely at 12 yards distance since it's a smooth bore and round ball of course, flies through the neighbors wall and tags their dog.

DRATS! As I sprint to the kitchen grabbing the blunder buss and powder horn.
Ram all the forks and knives down the tube **** the hammer KABOOM hits the second and third. AHH HAA take that you scoundrel! But the other two still come charging!

Drats... what to do... I clip clop down the hallway and mount my cannon it's loaded with grape shot.
They round the corner...
TALLY HO LADS! I light the fuse KABOOOM I make shreds out of them.

Ears ringing house filled with smoke what's this!? Another one outside slowly approaches intent to collect booty... I briskly run down the hallway grabbing the rifle... no time to waste... I fix my bayonet and charge the last rapscallion deaf as can be. I shout as loud as I can charging through the smoke and fog of war and plunge my blade into his chest. By now the neighbors have alerted the authorities

Tis a shame the last bloody one bleeds out when the medical staff arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are a bloody nightmare to stitch shut. He expires on the front lawn.

Just as the founding fathers had intended.

Get off the internet grab a quill and parchment to communicate with the rest of the world. That's what founding fathers intended you to use...

Old 10-03-2017, 11:46 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
I don't think laws keep people from breaking them. It just give the justice system a means to punish them after the fact. That is, if some one whats to commit a crime e.g. shoot some one, they will find a way and no law will prevent it.

There are over 300 MILLION guns in public hands in the US. The genie is out of the bottle, so to speak, and its never going back in.

We are back to the old west for the most part. About the only sane thing to do at this point is train and arm good citizens willing to help protect against outlaws and make sure there are adequate 'gun fight' laws to protect those using weapons in self defense of them selves and/or the helpless.

As a further deterrent, anyone convicted of murder and evidence is sufficient where there is absolutely zero doubt of the circumstances and guilt, the perpetrator should be stripped of appeals, sentenced to death, and execution carried out in public within 30 days or less.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:47 AM

8,152 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Besides the logistical nightmare of trying to actually invade, occupy and hold the US, one of the reasons they aren't coming is because we indeed have a rifle behind every blade of grass (falsely attributed to Yamamoto, but likely source is MacArthur's personal historian paraphrasing).

The other two scenarios I presented are indeed more likely, and the one where our government goes armed oppressor is the thinking that led to that amendment being explicitly placed and so unconditional.

Hate to break to you, but your government already oppresses you in a hundred different ways every single day, they just do it administratively and stealthily. This means they already consider you a resource for their consumption, and it isn't that hard to picture them deciding (incorrectly) that their grasp on power is absolute as is their command over the military. You, I and every other citizen having the right to keep and bear arms keeps them properly unmotivated to step up their oppression game.

For more on this concept, see: "why during the last 150 years of warfare on the European continent, no army has invaded Switzerland." Neutrality and banks are helpful, but every adult male in the country being issued badass semiautomatic rifle for civil defense (like Israel) has a lot to do with it as well. And for even more, see: "why Israel keeps not being invaded, even when surrounded out to almost 1,000 miles in any direction by entre armed populations who seek the utter annihilation of their country, religion and race."
False.

SOLDIERS are allowed to carry their weapons even when off duty. The gun control is extremely strict over there.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:50 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I don't think laws keep people from breaking them. It just give the justice system a means to punish them after the fact. That is, if some one whats to commit a crime e.g. shoot some one, they will find a way and no law will prevent it.

There are over 300 MILLION guns in public hands in the US. The genie is out of the bottle, so to speak, and its never going back in.

We are back to the old west for the most part. About the only sane thing to do at this point is train and arm good citizens willing to help protect against outlaws and make sure there are adequate 'gun fight' laws to protect those using weapons in self defense of them selves and/or the helpless.

As a further deterrent, anyone convicted of murder and evidence is sufficient where there is absolutely zero doubt of the circumstances and guilt, the perpetrator should be stripped of appeals, sentenced to death, and execution carried out in public within 30 days or less.
This death row and no capital punishment is just straight BS. No one should retire in a prison for killing someone.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:51 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
This "list" is the the epitome of a knee-jerk reaction that hasn't been thought through.

By this list, millions of Americans that are currently blocked from buying guns would be able to walk into any gun store and buy anything they want.

John Hinckley Jr. could go out and buy himself a couple of AR-15 rifles. Good idea, huh?

Most people with mental health issues are living fairly normal lives under treatment. This list would require anyone with any mental health instability to be incarcerated for life.

This list would require anyone convicted of any felony to be in prison for life without parole, else result in millions of ex-felons having greater access to buy guns.

We might be able to keep dangerous felons in prison as long as we think they are a threat to society but we have no control over the prisons of Mexico or Canada or any other country. They could release violent persons who end up here. And every year a million people illegally enter the country.

All of the vicious and violent thugs with warrants out for their arrest including the federal Ten Most Wanted could buy anything they want, since they have not yet been taken into custody to not be released.

See the insanity of this assumption that if someone is free that they are ok to possess guns?

Old 10-03-2017, 11:51 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Get off the internet grab a quill and parchment to communicate with the rest of the world. That's what founding fathers intended you to use...
Well drats.... I shall have to find field stone and mortar. As the grape shot has taken out the wall. Now I may build a fireplace. And I shall bring my Kentucky rifle and duel with the bear. Make a rug of the beast to place before my latest addition...

Afterall he wants to ban the 2nd ammendment to how the founding fathers had intended. I say to hell with it. Let's party like it's 1776! To the beer hall men! There are lovely wenches to bring home. And they don't shave, or vote, own or have rights to property. We may board ships and parlay for good carribean rum. And blast away pirates. And return after collecting their stolen booty. Tell tales and drink rum. Le Roi shall swab the poop deck. For he made us forfeit out modern weaponry.

Come to think of it... I could be the new Paul Revere
THE ATF IS COMING THE ATF IS COMING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies