Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 12:05 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Repeating firearm technology was already in its infancy at the time of the writing of the 2A.

One of the reasons the antis always lose out in the end is that simply they do not know squat about the issue they love to talk about....
I don't really care about the founding fathers, and I don't understand peoples' fetishization of them. That's some 1950's public school brainwashing as far as I'm concerned.

Therefore the fact that so-and-so technology predates the constitution is completely irrelevant to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 12:08 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Let's talk about real solutions:

1. Stop releasing anybody who is ineligible to own a firearm. They need to stay in prison or hospital until their situations change.

2. Impose a mandatory 10 years minimum sentence without parole for anybody committing any felony with any arm, not just guns. The second time, the person gets life without parole.

3. Abolish background check entirely (see #1) - employment or gun purchase. Either people have paid the debt to the society or they should stay in prison until such time.

4. Prohibit all media from glorifying mass murderers. For example, a murderer should only not be named or he should be given ridiculous nickname. Language such as "most deadly mass shooting in history" should not be used.

5. All accomplices including the straw purchaser should be charged with the same crime as the primary.

6. Parents should be held liable for their children (<18) using their guns to commit crime.

7. Change the prison system so that inmates must work, learn or both.
Your solutions appear to be highly impractical and would take decades.

They would require changing both federal and state criminal and sentencing laws.

They would require amending the Constitution.

A federal law requiring parents to be liable for their children's actions would need to encompass a lot more than guns. Accomplices can already be charged in some states, but it would be rather overkill to charge a 'straw man' with capital murder charges and execute them for that.

We've been trying to reform the prison system for years, and they just keep stuffing more people in prison, including the mentally ill. Sessions appears to want to continue that practice.

As far as suppressing freedom of the press for the purpose you suggest? That's absurd. We cannot even get the so-called leader of the free world to stop using ridiculous nicknames for mass murderers, or murderous dictators with nukes, but we should limit freedom of the press?

Old 10-03-2017, 12:09 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
This is so nuts it's not even worthy of debate.

1. So anyone ever convicted of any kind of felony must serve life in prison without parole? Because currently any ex-felon is barred from owning firearms unless they successfully petion to get their rights restored. Your idea would have anyone released from prison being eligible. You would be weakening current laws.

4. So much for the First Amendment.

6. You mean parents should go to prison for life without parole if their kid kills someone with a gun?

1. Why should people who are too dangerous to have a firearm be allowed to live free in society?

Either change the definition to allow non violent felons to automatically regain 2nd amendment rights when they have completed their sentence or keep them locked up.......violent felons...throw away the key.

4. This can be done on a voluntary basis. .....no violation of the 1st necessary.

6. I'll give you that one. I'm not too big on holding others responsible for the actions of someone else......with kids it's borderline to an extent though.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:10 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
If you take away suicide, and inner city gang violence the number drops dramatically. These are people problems. They aren't accidents, or mechanical failures. Banning guns will neither remove them from society, nor will it stop violent people committing crime. Address the violent people no matter what tool is used.
Except there are ample examples of exactly the opposite. Once guns are removed from circulation they aren't used in crimes very often. Hawaii has strict gun laws and the fewest guns in circulation of any US state because of this few people are killed by guns in Hawaii. Which helps Hawaii have one of the lowest homicide rates of any US state at around 1.5 per 100,000. Alaska has half the number of people as Hawaii, is cold, sparse, and has less people living below the poverty line but has way more guns per person. Alaska averages about 5.6 homicides per 100,000. Alaska by every measure should have a lower murder rate then Hawaii. Which is small, crowded, warm and has one of the higher rates of poverty. The difference between the two states in the volume of homicides is linked only to guns. No other explanation can define it.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:10 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
I'm pro-gun. And I AM open-minded enough to consider some compromises. However, compromise means both sides give some.

I'm a far left liberal on every single political issue except guns. Liberals need to be more willing to meet in the middle on this issue, otherwise nothing is going to change. I hvae tried talking to some of my liberal friends and family, and they have a "zero assault rifle" mindset. They feel that no private citizen in this country should be able to legally on an assault rifle. I told them they would get nowhere with that attitude.

My point is, I'm usually on the liberal side, arguing with conservatives...thinking to myself "geez, conservatives are stubborn and refuse to compromise on anything." But in this case, I find myself saying that about liberals.

Earth to democrats/anti-gun crowd: you are losing the war on guns, really badly. As it stands right now, the NRA and pro-gun crowd have just about everything they want. Unlimited amount of rifles, unlimited amount of ammo, high capacity magazines/drums (in some states), very easy to buy rifles.

So if the anti-gun crowd is currently losing, the burden is on them to reach across to the pro-gun crowd and at least offer some sort of compromise to get the ball rolling or at least maybe get an open dialogue going. If the anti-gun crowd would offer something, anything in the way of compromise, the medai would put a tremendous amount of pressure on the NRA and pro-gun politicians to address and respond.

Now granted, I know the NRA has never been willing to compromise much either, but the first step would be at least to get the media talking about it by the left offering up some sort of middle ground to start from. But to approach gun owners like me who are open-minded and willing to compromise with a "no ARs for anybody, period" mentality, nothing is going to happen.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:13 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,346,518 times
Abolish background checks??????

So... if the Russians alert the US to a radicalized person entering the US...ie Tamerlan Tsarnaev(sp?),Boston Bomber, we should ignore that? (we actually did and look what happened.)

How about abolish high capacity magazines and full auto mods?

Old 10-03-2017, 12:15 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
We already have countless laws and measures in place against guns. More laws won't really do anything. Calling for "gun control" is just an emotional "feel good" reaction.

CRIMINALS DON'T ABIDE BY LAWS!

You can make all the laws you want; bad things will still happen.
And without laws, their acts have no consequences.

Is that what you favor?

Old 10-03-2017, 12:15 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
You can't demonize guns .... without fallout on those promoting them as more a right then most things one could list? It is what ... many see as the Great American freedom that you can collect weapons for more then self-defense as a God-given right and privilege that other nations either .... do not have? Or are not deserving to have as our enemies.

Some make it a right of passage to have guns and. Other fully created mass weapons for war. It has become a means to separate real Patriot Americans .... from the other fringe that many see THEY WILL ONE DAY FIGHT in a new civil war or sorts.

Generally, we just need to look to Canada for laws that make more sense in placing rights in a perspective that needs LESS EXTREEMISM on either side of the political agendas to demonize the other.

Did Our Founding Father's desire :
- ALL should have their own CANON TOO?
- that the weapons of their day most HAD A RIGHT TO OWN .... was a RIFLE.
- could they fathom that .... their right to BARE ARMS. Would basically mean a right to more then - self-defense and war from invaders and offensive to settle this continent by forceful means as we spread westward?

The problem became a movement from seeing guns as a necessary lifestyle need? That to others .... are a right to be a American and own them vs those who say they see we should have evolved to not need to?

I personally never owned a gun. My Father had a hunting rifle .... he even got rid of when I was young as having no need to hunt as recreation given how he worked. Others see recreation alone .... is reason enough.

Still to this day... I see no reason to own a gun. I'm approaching retirement and see no fear YET I need to. I know MANY who do own to just collect guns. Most from military past experience or merely as hunters. None say DIRECTLY .... they see a eminent need to defend themselves. But AS THE NATION FRACTIONS MORE .... That is changing in fear by EXTREMISM BY BOTH SIDES.

More and more as small cities become more diverse as Big city folk are displaced to look for cheaper areas to live? The UGLY OUTSIDER who is not working with different perspectives on like then locals and corporate America NOT moving to where these ACTUALLY LESS HIREABLE ( in blemished histories make them un-hireable as workers)? We continue to GROW a underclass.

In my visits to my volunteer fire-house clubs with bars. I find more THEM vs US being displayed. Just this kneeling for the National Anthem has the N-word used. Last night I was told to take my baseball cap off .... while the Monday-night football Anthem played. I did but saw another did not. That person merely was not seen I believe .... thought I saw NO REASON to not to remove my cap? I still felt SINGLED OUT and would have FEARED NOT TO WHEN ASKED.

Another very nice peaceful guy. Speaking to another on HOW "REDNECKS" are the BIGGEST GROUP in the Nation that WILL UNITE AND CAUSE A EVENTUAL UPRISING.

That also takes me back to Bible School and FINAL PROPHECIES of the LAST DAYS. Rumors of wars increase, more disasters in earthquakes to Storms to Famines (still in line with climate change) though many dispute it? Biblically, ALL reasons for the UPHEAVALS to come ..... are with MAN to blame anyway. But still ..... the question was? WHERE IS THE US IN BIBLE PEOPHECY? IT SEEMS NOT PART OF A LAST DAYS? Some sects merely include the US as Israel.

So IF WE CONTINUE OUR DIVISIONS? We do risk IMPLOADING FROM WITHIN..... NOT by a outside enemy? Though they surely will then find a means to infiltrate to cause it even? As seems the RUSSIAN HACKINGS INTENDED. To increase suspicions and divisions and a President who so far ..... is increasing them.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:17 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,305,536 times
....what about enforcing the gun laws we already have??

Some common sense measures:

- Make sure all the databases touched by the NICS background check are up to date (especially for mental illness).

- I support an effortless and streamlined compulsory background check for private gun sales.....exactly the same as the NICS call that happen at dealer/gun shop level....a phone call, charge me 10 bucks or so, half hour to clear the sale and here you go (not like the mess we been left in WA state).

- I support a proficiency test for CCW permit holders, exactly like a driving license (and the permit should be recognized in all 50 states)

I may support a safe storage requirement in the house but that is tricky...you still want relatively easy access to firearms for legitimate home defense purposes....so maybe mandatory when you are not at home.

That's it.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:17 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Let's talk about real solutions:

1. Stop releasing anybody who is ineligible to own a firearm. They need to stay in prison or hospital until their situations change.

2. Impose a mandatory 10 years minimum sentence without parole for anybody committing any felony with any arm, not just guns. The second time, the person gets life without parole.

3. Abolish background check entirely (see #1) - employment or gun purchase. Either people have paid the debt to the society or they should stay in prison until such time.

4. Prohibit all media from glorifying mass murderers. For example, a murderer should only not be named or he should be given ridiculous nickname. Language such as "most deadly mass shooting in history" should not be used.

5. All accomplices including the straw purchaser should be charged with the same crime as the primary.

6. Parents should be held liable for their children (<18) using their guns to commit crime.

7. Change the prison system so that inmates must work, learn or both.
Rocketman would be proud of this list. Sounds like something North Korea would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies