Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 11:30 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
There are over 12,000 gun related homicides in the US every year. Which averages about 230 people per week or the equivalent of jetliner. If ever week a jetliner crashed killing 230 people, how long would we go before we made major overhauls to either the planes or the airline industry?

If every week 230 people died from contaminated drinking water how long would we go before we started purifying the water?

If Hurricane Irma swept in and killed 12,000 people would we make major overhauls to ensure it didn't happen again?

Yet we accept 12,000 gun deaths a year and we do nothing. We have no right calling ourselves a first world nation.
If you take away suicide, and inner city gang violence the number drops dramatically. These are people problems. They aren't accidents, or mechanical failures. Banning guns will neither remove them from society, nor will it stop violent people committing crime. Address the violent people no matter what tool is used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
you are missing the point. The 89 deaths in England on the bridge were done using a truck.. not a firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
"...there’s a more basic problem when comparing firearm and motor vehicle deaths. The causes of death are very different. In 2013, 99.4% of car deaths were accidental in nature. In sharp contrast, only 1.8% of gun deaths were accidental. A staggering 65% of gun fatalities are suicides. "

Gun Vs. Traffic Accident Deaths

1,700 posts, read 1,045,836 times
Interesting ideas, I give you a thumbs up for thinking outside the box at least.
Having a tuff time with #1, I see your point of view, honestly can't counter it off the top of my head.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:31 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Let's talk about real solutions:

1. Stop releasing anybody who is ineligible to own a firearm. They need to stay in prison or hospital until their situations change.

2. Impose a mandatory 10 years minimum sentence without parole for anybody committing any felony with any arm, not just guns. The second time, the person gets life without parole.

3. Abolish background check entirely (see #1) - employment or gun purchase. Either people have paid the debt to the society or they should stay in prison until such time.

4. Prohibit all media from glorifying mass murderers. For example, a murderer should only not be named or he should be given ridiculous nickname. Language such as "most deadly mass shooting in history" should not be used.

5. All accomplices including the straw purchaser should be charged with the same crime as the primary.

6. Parents should be held liable for their children (<18) using their guns to commit crime.

7. Change the prison system so that inmates must work, learn or both.
I'm in, except for #6
A 16 year old wigs out, tortures both parents to give up the gun safe code , then steals the guns an goes on a shooting spree. How can the parents be responsible for that ?

Old 10-03-2017, 11:32 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Please don't post such idiotic stuff suggesting there is no difference between a semi auto holding 15 or more rounds per mag that is capable of being rapid fired and reloaded almost instantly, and a shotgun or rifle .You simply demonstrate that you have no common sense and aren't worth taking seriously.

I think you are he one making senseless claim....you need a range session and some trigger time before talking about things you do not know nothing about...

Yes the is almost no difference in the ability to send rounds downrange between a lever action, a pump and a semi-auto....as a matter of fact, I can keep reloading some lever actions or pumps as I shoot
better than fumbling with magazines........learn something about firearms before posting....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4GLOnwmfUM&t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9CuwadlikU

Old 10-03-2017, 11:34 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
This is so nuts it's not even worthy of debate.

1. So anyone ever convicted of any kind of felony must serve life in prison without parole? Because currently any ex-felon is barred from owning firearms unless they successfully petion to get their rights restored. Your idea would have anyone released from prison being eligible. You would be weakening current laws.

4. So much for the First Amendment.

6. You mean parents should go to prison for life without parole if their kid kills someone with a gun?

Again, the most important thing is the rights of gun nuts.

They super-cede any and all other rights or concerns anyone may have.

The most important thing, again, is that powerless man-children have their toys to stroke while fantasizing about a race war or communist insurrection. We must adjust all laws, including those which commit people to mental health institutions, to make sure that unfettered access to weapons is our first priority.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:36 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i had to google it, but yes, sure.

i like guns, what i don't like are civilians owning weapons capable of "mass destruction," whether from the factory or via modifications.
Own a musket. For home defense since thats what the found fathers intended, of course.

Five ruffians barge in my domicile.

"What the devils!?" AS I put on my powdered wig on and spring from my stool.

Grab my Kentucky long rifle. First scallywag through the door gets a baseball sized hole through his chest. He's dead before he hits the ground.

Draw my pistol on the second one BANG misses completely at 12 yards distance since it's a smooth bore and round ball of course, flies through the neighbors wall and tags their dog.

DRATS! As I sprint to the kitchen grabbing the blunder buss and powder horn.
Ram all the forks and knives down the tube **** the hammer KABOOM hits the second and third. AHH HAA take that you scoundrel! But the other two still come charging!

Drats... what to do... I clip clop down the hallway and mount my cannon it's loaded with grape shot.
They round the corner...
TALLY HO LADS! I light the fuse KABOOOM I make shreds out of them.

Ears ringing house filled with smoke what's this!? Another one outside slowly approaches intent to collect booty... I briskly run down the hallway grabbing the rifle... no time to waste... I fix my bayonet and charge the last rapscallion deaf as can be. I shout as loud as I can charging through the smoke and fog of war and plunge my blade into his chest. By now the neighbors have alerted the authorities

Tis a shame the last bloody one bleeds out when the medical staff arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are a bloody nightmare to stitch shut. He expires on the front lawn.

Just as the founding fathers had intended.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:37 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
WOW...a little dramatic are we....

All repubs.....what a BS lie.....

They are not? Care to back up that claim?
I saw ZERO outrage about Sandy Hook from Republicans. They jumped behind the NRA screaming the answer was more guns. That mother was an NRA member that used guns as a method of bonding with her mentally unstable son. The first person he shot was his mother.

Show me where a parent was charged with murder for the death of a child that was shot by another child. Show me where a gun owner was charged when someone at a party grabbed an available gun and killed someone over something stupid because of alcohol. The guy that shot another guy in the movie theater over texting still hasn't gone to jail and probably never will. Reality is, guns may be a source of security for many but no one is held liable for the massive number of injuries and deaths that result from their easy proximity whether it is a child finding one in a purse to people keeping them around the house like they are a standard appliance.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:38 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Own a musket. For home defense since thats what the found fathers intended, of course.

Five ruffians barge in my domicile.

"What the devils!?" AS I put on my powdered wig on and spring from my stool.

Grab my Kentucky long rifle. First scallywag through the door gets a baseball sized hole through his chest. He's dead before he hits the ground.

Draw my pistol on the second one BANG misses completely at 12 yards distance since it's a smooth bore and round ball of course, flies through the neighbors wall and tags their dog.

DRATS! As I sprint to the kitchen grabbing the blunder buss and powder horn.
Ram all the forks and knives down the tube **** the hammer KABOOM hits the second and third. AHH HAA take that you scoundrel! But the other two still come charging!

Drats... what to do... I clip clop down the hallway and mount my cannon it's loaded with grape shot.
They round the corner...
TALLY HO LADS! I light the fuse KABOOOM I make shreds out of them.

Ears ringing house filled with smoke what's this!? Another one outside slowly approaches intent to collect booty... I briskly run down the hallway grabbing the rifle... no time to waste... I fix my bayonet and charge the last rapscallion deaf as can be. I shout as loud as I can charging through the smoke and fog of war and plunge my blade into his chest. By now the neighbors have alerted the authorities

Tis a shame the last bloody one bleeds out when the medical staff arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are a bloody nightmare to stitch shut. He expires on the front lawn.

Just as the founding fathers had intended.

A revolver is probably more effective in that situation

Also you would fill your cannon with canister shot in that situation, not grapeshot

Old 10-03-2017, 11:39 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The First Amendment didn't give us those rights. The First Amendment and the Bill of Rights was written to establish that Government must not infringe upon those rights.

Our inalienable rights come from God.

At the time of the writing of the Constitution, there was much argument and discussion about whether our rights should be enumerated at all, because some believed that if they were, people would claim, as we see happening today, that those rights were granted by government, and therefore government could take them away.

You'll find it all in The Federalist Papers.
Love your posts, all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies