Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 12:34 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
That's about enough of this endless argument for me. Bye.
You guys are in an endless loop;
you are in a maze of twisty passages;
sign on wall reads, "2nd amendment is not going away."
There is probably no one who spends any extra bit of time in a gun thread that doesn't ultimately feel the same way...

When ideology overrides all else, you might as well be pounding sand!

"Kahan gave study participants – all American adults – a basic mathematics test, then asked them to solve a short but tricky problem about whether a medicinal skin cream was effective or ineffective. The problem was just hard enough that most people jumped to the wrong answer. People with stronger math skills, unsurprisingly, were more likely to get the answer right.

Then Kahan ran the same test again. This time, instead of evaluating skin cream trials, participants were asked to evaluate whether a law banning citizens from carrying concealed firearms in public made crime go up or down. The result: when liberals and conservatives were confronted with a set of results that contradicted their political assumptions, the smartest people were barely more likely to arrive at the correct answer than the people with no math skills at all. Political bias had erased the advantages of stronger reasoning skills."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ol-debate-bias
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 12:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
How many of those items are designed to kill people efficiently?

If your neighbor were buying up large trucks and fertilizer,would you be concerned? Or would you just brush him off as some weird guy that had a harmless fetish for delivery trucks and fertilizer?
Guns are designed to propel a projectile.

That projectile can put food on a table, protect the possessor and be used for sports.

Some guns are even works of art.

Saying guns are designed to kill people is like sayin knives are designed to kill people. Additionally, sometimes that is exactly what a regular person needs them to do to stay alive.

If they frighten you so bad, don't get one.

PS, how do you ever make it through any rural areas without calling the police constantly as you see trucks and fertilizer.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:38 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

That projectile can put food on a table, protect the possessor and be used for sports.

Saying guns are designed to kill people is like sayin knives are designed to kill people. Additionally, sometimes that is exactly what a regular person needs them to do to stay alive.

PS, how do you ever make it through any rural areas without calling the police constantly as you see trucks and fertilizer.
I think the question was about weapons "designed to kill people efficiently."

Knives don't really fall into that category. Nor typical hunting rifles...

Military assault weapons do.

Important not to mix "apples with oranges" when it comes to clear critical thinking about such issues. Don't you think?

Old 10-07-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
So by default, countries with strict gun control laws are fascist? I think that is way over the top, and isn't the definition of fascism at all.

Oxford

"An authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fascism

Quote:
Definition of fascism

1 often capitalized :a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
2 :a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control

Old 10-07-2017, 12:46 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:

Get over yourself dude. I own guns. I hunt. Also own a bow, which is really more fun than a gun because of the added difficulty in achieving a kill. I just don't own an AR15 clone. And the point, which folks like you cant seem to process, is not ownership in and of itself, but whether buying large numbers could be indicative of a mental illness.

And your point about trucks and fertilizers really points out the immaturity of your mindset. If you cant process the difference between seeing these randomly driving through rural areas ( I lived much of my life in a rural farming community ) and having a neighbor suddenly acquiring large numbers of both, you probably shouldn't be trying to comment here.

Is participating as an adult really too hard for you?

Old 10-07-2017, 12:47 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
Quote:
I already went down that road but s/he doesn't understand.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Important not to mix "apples with oranges" when it comes to clear critical thinking about such issues. Don't you think?
Hmm, in the quote I was responding to or the title to this thread, where was a specific model mentioned?

Old 10-07-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Get over yourself dude. I own guns. I hunt. Also own a bow, which is really more fun than a gun because of the added difficulty in achieving a kill. I just don't own an AR15 clone. And the point, which folks like you cant seem to process, is not ownership in and of itself, but whether buying large numbers could be indicative of a mental illness.

And your point about trucks and fertilizers really points out the immaturity of your mindset. If you cant process the difference between seeing these randomly driving through rural areas ( I lived much of my life in a rural farming community ) and having a neighbor suddenly acquiring large numbers of both, you probably shouldn't be trying to comment here.

Is participating as an adult really too hard for you?
Let me point out how you are completely illogical by asking you two questions?

1. How many people would you guess have collections of over 50 guns in the US?

2. How many people with gun collections of more than 50 guns would you guess have gone on shooting sprees in the US?

Once you answer those two questions, you'll realize how you view this with nothing but emotion.

You may even see that you are acting just like the person who will accuse you of owning a gun due to feelings of inadequacy.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:55 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:

And assault rifles are currently regulated and restricted and banned from production unless produced for police or military. See NFA and Hughes Amendment.

Last time I saw an assault rifle for sale it was 25k dollars...

Clear and critical thinking skills.
Assault rifles have a selective rate of fire.
Semi automatic rifles do not. One pull of the trigger = 1 round fired.

Know the difference between an assault rifle and a semi automatic rifle.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:03 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
Quote:

Well I will agree with you that critical thinking needs to be applied when discussing gun control. Problem is that gun control advocates are not using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies