Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 05:11 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Perhaps reading comprehension is not your forte? I said punched someone in the face and stole their wallet. They used violence to commit a crime. Screw 'em. I have no sympathy or empathy for these types of individuals. Except when I was a kid on a playground, I can't remember the last time I punched someone in the face especially for no apparent reason. Except for maybe a bar room brawl where you have a bunch of drunks who are willing combatants. Yeah, I'd be okay with locking people up for life for committing any act of violence against any innocent person. As for the bar room brawlers, make 'em pay for the damages and lock them up until they sober up.

My aunt at 86 was beaten up in Yonkers, N.Y. because she wouldn't let go of her purse. So I guess you'd consider that not to be a serious violent crime? Big tough guy picking on an 86 year old women for a coupla' lousy bucks. It's too bad my aunt didn't have a gun and know how to use it.

Which begs the question of how many other crimes did this individual commit? Is he now serving time and if not how many crimes is he committing today?

Agreed, I could not give you Rep, but I don't know why some people feel empowered to take what does not belong to them, by force from another person. It really is a sad state of affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 05:14 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
No you are not. There is no national gun registry.
Guns ARE matched to owner by serial number, in many cases. Guess how that happens.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:16 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Conspiracy theory...prove to me that your gun is registered somewhere by the government. I want facts not allegations.
They're not. I didn't buy them at Cabela's. My guns are off the books.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:42 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
That's the back ground check that is used... you declared background checks mean multiple things, it doesnt. There's only NICS.
Implying there are more that aren't used is wrong.

Implying there are more that should be used is a different topic as NICS is the system used for background checks.
As I said a background check might mean different things and it does. I never discussed NICS.

I could tell you what is needed to decrease the likelihood of gun violence but you are not going to like it.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:48 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No? Try buying one at Cabela's and see what happens. The gun is registered to you. You and the gun are on a gov registry.
I have no idea what you are talking about, not having a registry is actually one of the problems.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:58 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Get kids to trade video games for wrenches and get them building stock cars or hot rods... that will keep them pre-occupied and spending money on go fast parts and machine shop work.

Ammo and C16 both go quick on a saturday...
Now you're talking my kind of language.

Although I've got to admit that as a teenager I've used alcohol more than once, tried pot a few times, never used tobacco products. Fortunately for me it was just a passing fad and a bit of stupidity on my part. One of those: "all my friends are doing it sort of things". I also came to the conclusion that to continue wasn't going to lead to anything good. I've got a few old friends who've got nothing to show for their lives.

One of my cousins never knew when to stop. Not only was he a user and abuser he got heavily into dealing and committing petty crimes. Some of the people he associated with you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley, that's for sure. Anyway he died in his late 30's of a heroin overdose. It wasn't like he had a bad family life and his brother is just the opposite, he's got a good job, and is happily married with children.

Me? I was always into mechanical objects at an early age, taking motorized toys apart just to see what makes them tick. Later on I had my own power boat on the Hudson River at 12 years of age. I started working on my outboard motor at that age, tune ups, rebuilding the carburetors and fixing the gear box after hitting debris that was floating just beneath the surface which is common on the Hudson.

Obviously that led to cars when I got my license and bought a used car but could not afford to pay others to fix it. Which then led to restoring antique cars as a hobby and working on guns. It got me hanging out with a different crowd who were into those same things. So yeah, having constructive hobbies can indeed keep you straight. EVEN GUNS!

Unfortunately not everyone is mechanically inclined or have any outside interests. Those are they types of people that somehow you gotta' get through to. I don't think that there's too many people that are leading happy and productive lives as an addict or an alcoholic. I tried to talk some sense to my cousin when he was at my sisters wedding but to no avail. He just looked at me and said: You don't understand, I'm a f***in' addict, I can't stop!

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-20-2017 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 06:00 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Yeah, just like the prohibition of alcohol didn't work. Just like the prohibition of firearms won't work.
Prohibition never works.

Quote:
However alcohol can be used in moderation with no ill effects. The only purpose of drugs like meth, cocaine, heroine and the like is to get wasted which often leads to addiction. Do we really want them to be sold the same as alcohol is being sold and regulated? Although addicts are gonna' be addicts, legal or not. Tobacco products are also addicting and millions have died as a result of using those products.
There should be no law that has the intent of protecting one from oneself. Want to get high or overdose? Have at it. The gene pool needs to be cleaned out. If you decide to get high and drive and wind up killing someone, you can spend the rest of your life behind bars with the rest of those who are incapable of living with society.

Quote:
Unfortunately some people have a real problem abusing alcohol, tobacco and drugs. But the $64,000 question is: How do you get people to not get started using that crap in the first place? That would certainly end all the crime and violence associated with the illicit drug trade. It would also save billions of dollars in health care costs.
Education and not treating the possession of drugs as a crime would be a good start. Treating drug addiction as a health problem rather than a criminal one would also help. You won't stop all drug addiction, but you'll probably come closer than we do putting them in prison.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Prohibition never works.

There should be no law that has the intent of protecting one from oneself. Want to get high or overdose? Have at it. The gene pool needs to be cleaned out. If you decide to get high and drive and wind up killing someone, you can spend the rest of your life behind bars with the rest of those who are incapable of living with society.

Education and not treating the possession of drugs as a crime would be a good start. Treating drug addiction as a health problem rather than a criminal one would also help. You won't stop all drug addiction, but you'll probably come closer than we do putting them in prison.
Yeah, I could go along with that.

I just wish there was a way to get people to not even start. It's not like people before they start, aren't aware of the ramifications of drug and alcohol abuse.

It's the same thing with tobacco products. You'd have to be living on Mars to not understand the consequences of smoking. I might have smoked maybe half a dozen cigarettes in my lifetime if that. The first time I tried one, I thought: These things taste like s**t! They serve no purpose. Why would I want to continue?

I do kinda' feel sorry for people who are addicted to drugs. It wasn't like my cousin was a bad person. Christ, we grew up together and shared a lot of good times when we were kids. We sure raised a lot of hell together. He'd give you the shirt off his back. But that all ended when he got involved with that crap. From his late teens till the day he died his whole life revolved around drugs. My father would often say: My God, what a waste of a perfectly good body.

Then you think of all the people who died through no fault of their own who would just love to had a chance at life only to see others just flush their lives down the toilet. It really is a crying shame.

One of my nephews was born with a rare genetic disease and died at age 18. Right before his high school graduation. What a great kid, my God what he had to endure while growing up. Most adults couldn't deal with that and yet he soldiered on. We miss him terribly. Then I think of my cousin.

Obviously there are no laws to prevent people from destroying themselves. But when they do it can sure wreak havoc on their friends and family as well. You can be damn sure of that.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:56 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Now you're talking my kind of language.

Although I've got to admit that as a teenager I've used alcohol more than once, tried pot a few times, never used tobacco products. Fortunately for me it was just a passing fad and a bit of stupidity on my part. One of those: "all my friends are doing it sort of things". I also came to the conclusion that to continue wasn't going to lead to anything good. I've got a few old friends who've got nothing to show for their lives.

One of my cousins never knew when to stop. Not only was he a user and abuser he got heavily into dealing and committing petty crimes. Some of the people he associated with you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley, that's for sure. Anyway he died in his late 30's of a heroin overdose. It wasn't like he had a bad family life and his brother is just the opposite, he's got a good job, and is happily married with children.

Me? I was always into mechanical objects at an early age, taking motorized toys apart just to see what makes them tick. Later on I had my own power boat on the Hudson River at 12 years of age. I started working on my outboard motor at that age, tune ups, rebuilding the carburetors and fixing the gear box after hitting debris that was floating just beneath the surface which is common on the Hudson.

Obviously that led to cars when I got my license and bought a used car but could not afford to pay others to fix it. Which then led to restoring antique cars as a hobby and working on guns. It got me hanging out with a different crowd who were into those same things. So yeah, having constructive hobbies can indeed keep you straight. EVEN GUNS!

Unfortunately not everyone is mechanically inclined or have any outside interests. Those are they types of people that somehow you gotta' get through to. I don't think that there's too many people that are leading happy and productive lives as an addict or an alcoholic. I tried to talk some sense to my cousin when he was at my sisters wedding but to no avail. He just looked at me and said: You don't understand, I'm a f***in' addict, I can't stop!
debris in the Hudson.... you mean the bodies/remains of mafia hits and bridge jumpers?

Old 10-20-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Guns ARE matched to owner by serial number, in many cases. Guess how that happens.
Only when they are initially purchased, and that information is kept at the gun dealer where the gun was purchased. Except of course in states where they have to be registered before taking possession of it. Which mostly applies to handguns in states that require a permit to own them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies