Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 04:17 PM

1,896 posts, read 812,292 times

Advertisements

End the war on drugs and watch gun violence drop significantly. Police can go back to real police work instead of this illegal drug BS and not be at war with the neighborhoods they serve.

Less felons means less welfare. It's absurd how many males over the age of 18 are felons in this country.

Last edited by okcthunder1945; 10-20-2017 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 04:18 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No? Try buying one at Cabela's and see what happens. The gun is registered to you. You and the gun are on a gov registry.
No you are not. There is no national gun registry. Liberals are always clamoring for this as none currently exist.

In some states handguns have to be registered with the state as part of the permitting process. Some have extended that to what they deem to be so called "assault rifles". In states where handguns and assault weapons are registered the state requires you to notify them when the gun changes hands, is lost, stolen or destroyed. Most states do not require any guns to be registered. Some only apply to handguns.

When I had a concealed weapons permit (CWP) in New York the handguns that were registered to me were listed on the permit. In Arizona they are not listed on my CWP nor are they registered with any governmental agency.

The dealer keeps all Form 4473's as part of their records. When buying a gun from a licensed dealer the customer fills out Form 4473. Providing false information on Form 4473 is a federal crime. The FBI then runs a background check through the NICS system. The customer could still change their mind after the NICS check and not purchase a gun at all or choose a different one. The type of firearm being sold is not part of the NICS check. All the NICS check does is clear or reject you from purchasing a firearm.

About the only time the government will find out who the initial purchaser was is if the gun later turned up at a crime scene. At which point they would go to the manufacturer and find out which dealer that particular gun was sold to. They would then contact the dealer at which time the dealer would turn over the Form 4473 that relates to the sale of that gun. Dealers are required by federal law to turn over all of their firearms records upon the closing of that business. However by that time many of those firearms could have been sold and re-sold a number of times. Either through private sales where it is legal without paperwork or through a series of licensed dealers.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:19 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,305,536 times
Quote:
Guns have serial numbers. Guess what happens to that serial number when one buys a gun from Cabela's?

Are people really this stupid?!?

Conspiracy theory...prove to me that your gun is registered somewhere by the government. I want facts not allegations.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
No you are not. There is no national gun registry. Liberals are always clamoring for this as none currently exist.

In some states handguns have to be registered with the state as part of the permitting process. Some have extended that to what they deem to be so called "assault rifles". In states where handguns and assault weapons are registered the state requires you to notify them when the gun changes hands, is lost, stolen or destroyed. Most states do not require any guns to be registered. Some only apply to handguns.

When I had a concealed weapons permit (CWP) in New York the handguns that were registered to me were listed on the permit. In Arizona they are not listed on my CWP nor are they registered with any governmental agency.

The dealer keeps all Form 4473's as part of their records. When buying a gun from a licensed dealer the customer fills out Form 4473. Providing false information on Form 4473 is a federal crime. The FBI then runs a background check through the NICS system. The customer could still change their mind after the NICS check and not purchase a gun at all or choose a different one. The type of firearm being sold is not part of the NICS check. All the NICS check does is clear or reject you from purchasing a firearm.

About the only time the government will find out who the initial purchaser was is if the gun later turned up at a crime scene. At which point they would go to the manufacturer and find out which dealer that particular gun was sold to. They would then contact the dealer at which time the dealer would turn over the Form 4473 that relates to the sale of that gun. Dealers are required by federal law to turn over all of their firearms records upon the closing of that business. However by that time many of those firearms could have been sold and re-sold a number of times. Either through private sales where it is legal without paperwork or through a series of licensed dealers.

Exactly

Old 10-20-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
They way I look at it is that a violent crime is a violent crime. What would be considered a less serious violent crime? Punching somebody in the face, knocking them to the ground and stealing their wallet? Raping a women but not killing her? Spousal abuse? If a person has the propensity to use any type of violence to get what they want or to exert power and control over someone they should never ever see the light of day outside of a prison cell.

Problems often arise once they get out, such as in the case of the Maryland shooter. Sure he was probably let out after serving lighter sentences for less serious violent crimes until he went off the deep end and killed his co-workers. Do we really want to take that chance?

Unfortunately prison has become a university where criminals get a degree in becoming a better and more hardened criminal. Often times they become even more violent when they get out as they are mad at the world for the circumstances they find themselves in. What the hell are their job prospects upon release? Especially when they come out covered with neck and facial tattoos obtained while in prison?

Sure there are some who can be rehabilitated. But no one can say for sure who. Why even take that chance? As the "gun grabbers" like to say: "But if it will save one life, then it's worth it".

Then there's the issue of drug and alcohol abuse and the havoc that both wreak on society. How do we deal with that? Especially those that get out on the highway? There are thousands and thousands of them out there with multiple DUI's that continue to use intoxicating substances and still get behind the wheel. It only takes once to get into a serious accident.

Sorry but you cannot lock someone for life because he punched int he face someone.....

Old 10-20-2017, 04:28 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
No? Try buying one at Cabela's and see what happens. The gun is registered to you. You and the gun are on a gov registry.
that depends on the state... if the record is kept in Florida whoever made it, committed a felony. As registries are illegal. Only exception is for reported stolen or where it is required by federal law. There are no Cabela's near me, but there is a bass pro and it does the paper work via computer. No more pen and paper. It's faster.

Is that what you are referring to? Doing it via a computer opposed to filling out the 4473 by hand?

Old 10-20-2017, 04:34 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
In Missouri, we have a state law that makes gun registries illegal.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
End the war on drugs and watch gun violence drop significantly. Police can go back to real police work instead of this illegal drug BS and not be at war with the neighborhoods they service.

Less felons means less welfare. It's absurd how many males over the age of 18 are felons in this country.
Yeah, just like the prohibition of alcohol didn't work. Just like the prohibition of firearms won't work.

However alcohol can be used in moderation with no ill effects. The only purpose of drugs like meth, cocaine, heroine and the like is to get wasted which often leads to addiction. Do we really want them to be sold the same as alcohol is being sold and regulated? Although addicts are gonna' be addicts, legal or not. Tobacco products are also addicting and millions have died as a result of using those products.

Unfortunately some people have a real problem abusing alcohol, tobacco and drugs. But the $64,000 question is: How do you get people to not get started using that crap in the first place? That would certainly end all the crime and violence associated with the illicit drug trade. It would also save billions of dollars in health care costs.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:57 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Yeah, just like the prohibition of alcohol didn't work. Just like the prohibition of firearms won't work.

However alcohol can be used in moderation with no ill effects. The only purpose of drugs like meth, cocaine, heroine and the like is to get wasted which often leads to addiction. Do we really want them to be sold the same as alcohol is being sold and regulated? Although addicts are gonna' be addicts, legal or not. Tobacco products are also addicting and millions have died as a result of using those products.

Unfortunately some people have a real problem abusing alcohol, tobacco and drugs. But the $64,000 question is: How do you get people to not get started using that crap in the first place? That would certainly end all the crime and violence associated with the illicit drug trade. It would also save billions of dollars in health care costs.
Get kids to trade video games for wrenches and get them building stock cars or hot rods... that will keep them pre-occupied and spending money on go fast parts and machine shop work.

Ammo and C16 both go quick on a saturday...

Old 10-20-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Sorry but you cannot lock someone for life because he punched int he face someone.....
Perhaps reading comprehension is not your forte? I said punched someone in the face and stole their wallet. They used violence to commit a crime. Screw 'em. I have no sympathy or empathy for these types of individuals.

Except for when I was a kid on a playground, I can't remember the last time I punched someone in the face especially not for no apparent reason. Except for maybe a bar room brawl where you have a bunch of drunks who are willing combatants. Yeah, I'd be okay with locking people up for life for committing any act of violence against any innocent person. As for the bar room brawlers, make 'em pay for the damages and lock them up until they sober up.

My aunt at 86 was beaten up in Yonkers, N.Y. because she wouldn't let go of her purse. So I guess you'd consider that not to be a serious violent crime? Big tough guy picking on an 86 year old woman for a coupla' lousy bucks. It's too bad my aunt didn't have a gun and know how to use it.

Which begs the question of how many other crimes did this individual commit? Is he now serving time and if not how many crimes is he committing today? I somehow doubt that he's become a Boy Scout leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies