Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 11:25 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
No she asked for my opinion I gave it to her. She doesn't have to like my opinion. It isn't going to change my opinion. If she is that butt hurt over my opinion she can always leave, or try something else on.
I am honest. Brutally honest.

Honey does this dress make me look fat?
No but you wolfing down cheetos and burger king doesn't help you or the dresses cause...
Her jaw drops. I giggle.

At any time she can either say F you and walk. Or take my "mean words" into consideration, alter her diet up... For her sake she may want to alter her diet and take my constructive criticism for her own health and well being not for my viewing pleasure...

*awaits the feminists to screech REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*
Not sure who or what you are referring to, but my little analogy was not directed to you or any comment of yours. Check the record if you want to properly track and address my comment and what I was specifically referring to...

My point in any case had to do with the futility of exchanging opinion with someone who is not really being objective about the subject at hand. If you feel that's time well spent, productive in some way, fine, but again I've not got anymore time to waste with that sort of thing today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 11:26 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post

Making AR15's illegal is just feel good idea that will never see the light of day. If you want to propose a change that would help, work to pass legislation that restricts magazines to 10 rounds. It would not only help reduce the carnage a nut job can inflict, it's a restriction that would actually have a chance to be made into law...
A deterrence will greatly reduce the carnage a nut job can inflict.

Again. Reducing capacity is not a common sense thing. Its a way to curtail rights subjectively by focusing on the implement, not the individual, or the incentives that exist for them to do harm. It was proven to me by Cuomo, when I lived in NY, magazine capacity and feature bans would not do anything but make criminals out of us... It provided incentive to train to be faster in reloading... It would make no difference in 10 or 30 or 60 or 100 or 120 rounds. And here is why.

Here is why and here is where the AR is different from MOST other semiautomatic rifles.

1. It is DI gas fed. Direct Impingement.
Why does this matter?
The rifle/carbine has its own built in fail safe to protect the barrel. That would be the gas tube.
2. This system works by forcing hot gas through the front sight post/gas block, through the gas tube, to the bolt carrier to drive the bolt rearward. What does this have to do with anything?

The faster you shoot, the hotter it will get. The fail safe being the thin walled gas tube failing due to extremely hot gas and carbon fouling build up in the tube. It essentially will over heat fail and prevent the barrel from melting down.

Are there exotic materials such as titanium and certain stainless steel that can be sourced for gas tubes to deal with the heat better? Sure. What will it accomplish? It runs a while longer. Still going to suffer from carbon fouling... Which will shut the gas down to the carrier.
Unless the ammo being used burns extremely clean...

The 2 seconds or so it may take the average person to swap magazines... and fire 5 or 10 rounds at a time... It isn't going to cause anything but a prolonged shooting. You aren't getting the rifle hot enough quick enough for the gas tube to fail, or the upper to become trashed with carbon fouling to jam the bolt carrier up or hinder the trigger.

I don't support a magazine ban. Not at all. Cuomo turned me and others into a felon overnight on the basis of magazine capacity.
There are millions of magazines in circulation right here, right now.
Every month or 2 I order 100 at a time.

Want to reduce the carnage inflicted? Put a deterrence in place.
Gun free zones offer quite the incentive for these attacks.
Remove that incentive and put in place a deterrence... You have yourself a solution without infringing rights on subjective interpretation.

We have only done things one way in the history of this nation addressing these things... One way and one way only... Whenever someone else comes forward with a legitimate response it is down played as radical and crazy...
Haven't seen an armed teacher or school staff member thwart an armed intruder looking to slaughter have we? No. Because gun free zone.
To go off the rails and propose a fortress with bullet proof glass, metal detectors, xrays, TSA style security on steroids is one way. Not very realistic, quite expensive. My solution was simply to repeal gun free zones in favor of those who willingly want to participate and make a difference in the even something should occur.

As it is now...

A gun free zone, an area that a criminal or deranged individual can enter with no armed opposition, no real threat of their safety and well being, offers them quite the incentive to descend upon with their evil plans...

Revoke their incentive.
Install a deterrent.
Cameras? Xray machines? Metal Detectors? Bullet Proof glass?
Camera-So you can identify them and see them do it while they do it.
Xray/Metal Detector to bottle neck entry to buildings leaving an outside target rich environment for them?
Bullet Proof glass-Expensive but only will stop so many rounds before it fails... Maybe.
Armed presence trained to handle the threat?
No waiting for good guys with badges and guns. Good guys with guns are present in the building. And can put the scumbag down the moment they brandish or start firing.

Change lay outs of rooms? I support that. Provide a less open floor plan for an intruder.
That's how the rooms were in my highschool were laid out. You didn't open a door to an open square. You had a short hallway about 10-12 feet to walk into and then a square.
You wanted to shoot through the door? You were not hitting anything but a wall... But once you shot the glass out of the door... You could reach in and open the door from the outside... Would give just enough time to either bolt out the window, or smack the intruder with a desk or chair... We however, were instructed to lay face down on the floor. Yeah in a real incident, this kid would not have simply complied and listened to instruction. My life is more important than the gun mans. F your rules and instructions. They don't protect me...
We had lock down drills. They simply got us to be rounded up to become fish in a barrel for the gunmen. It may have evolved since I was in highschool to do something more than suck the floor and hope police arrive before the intruder did...

Old 01-27-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Sorry, I've not got that sort of time...

You tell me where we differ and why, and I'll go from there. I already tried to distill to that end. If not good enough and/or you feel we have reason to further exchange opinion, do let me know, but please don't ask I read all that in addition to all the rest of the reading required from news sites and all other comments in this thread and others.

In fact, I try to avoid gun threads as a rule, but anyone who seems to be wanting an exchange that goes beyond the simpleton insulting kind, is always worthy of consideration far as I'm concerned. Thanks again in any case, but I suspect we don't disagree about much.

Besides, I've got to sign off now...
Then we can't have a discussion then.

Plain and simple.

Not willing to read? Not willing to debate or honestly discuss it.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:32 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Making AR15's illegal is just feel good idea that will never see the light of day. If you want to propose a change that would help, work to pass legislation that restricts magazines to 10 rounds. It would not only help reduce the carnage a nut job can inflict, it's a restriction that would actually have a chance to be made into law...
Well California and possible some other states have made the AR-15, and other firearms illegal. Many states have also adopted magazine capacity restrictions, but it has not lessened violent crime, nor deaths where a gun is used. The vast majority of crime is committed using a hand gun, not a rifle. Also, there are a plethora of magazines already in circulation, and you just can't get those back, so magazine capacity is just a canard. A nutjob can do a lot of damage with a five or ten round magazine. They are very easy to remove, and insert.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Well California and possible some other states have made the AR-15, and other firearms illegal. Many states have also adopted magazine capacity restrictions, but it has not lessened violent crime, nor deaths where a gun is used. The vast majority of crime is committed using a hand gun, not a rifle. Also, there are a plethora of magazines already in circulation, and you just can't get those back, so magazine capacity is just a canard. A nutjob can do a lot of damage with a five or ten round magazine. They are very easy to remove, and insert.
Plus, they are not running the weapon fast/hot to cause the unique characteristic component of the AR platform to fail. Which is the gas tube.
The gas tube is the weak link in the weapon.

Firing 5-10 at a time. It could fail. Much later on down the round count.
Not as quickly as burning through 100s at a pace and super heating the tube until it splits.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:42 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" a dozen punks with automatic weapons"

Do you know in fact that this is true or are you just popping off?

If it is true, why haven't we seen or heard of any of it from the media?

With media liking to go 24/7 over any gun relate crime, I am surprised it is NOT on national media.

I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage. That was just a comparative analogy nothing more. Comparing gangs of yesteryear to those today. MS 13 compared to the Sharks or Jets from West Side Story. Hope that clears it up. I sure wasn't expecting such a violent reaction to such a simple thing.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:15 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:

The only difference is the number of magazines required. Changing magazines is so fast it would have no affect. The shooters are the problem, not the guns.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:18 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
One reason I have not bought an AR15 is because the M16 was a piece of junk. I used one in combat and they were totally unreliable. Are the ARs a better rifle?

Old 01-27-2018, 12:40 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
One reason I have not bought an AR15 is because the M16 was a piece of junk. I used one in combat and they were totally unreliable. Are the ARs a better rifle?
The design from the Vietnam era has been changed so much that it may as well be a different product. I have more than one AR, chambered in different rounds and set up for different uses, and all of them are great for their purpose - whether that purpose is teaching the kids with one chambered for .22lr or distance shooting with the one still chambered for .223.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Generally. Yes.

I used to buy them.
Now I build them.

There are so many options available out there... endless directions to go.

Pistol? Sure
SBR? Sure
Carbine? Sure
Rifle? Sure

And you are not stuck with using a 20in barrel with a fixed length stock and tall front sight post and carry handle...

Now you can run a 20in barrel with a collapsible stock for adjusting length of pull and eye relief set proper to have a long range/hunting rig.

Whatever direction you want to go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies