Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 10:05 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The argument in your post is simply dull. That device was designed primarily as an assault weapon for relatively close in combat.
Are you talking about the full automatic, military only M-16? If so, even the short barreled, current M4 version is effective at 600 METERS. That's not a short range weapon. It is also highly accurate at long distances. The civilian, AR-15 is semi auto only, and no different from any other semi auto rifle.

Quote:
I also learned to shoot in the 50s and served in the US Army in that decade. I suspect I can still strip an M1 or M1 carbine. I am reasonably familiar with the modern guns though neither an expert nor hobbyist. I may well chose to get a concealed weapons permit one of these years.
Thank you for your service. I also own an M1 Garand, and M1 Carbine. They are still very effective weapons. As you know the Garand is .30-06, which is a much more powerful, and damaging cartridge than the AR-15's 5.56MM/.223 which is basically a varmint round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 10:10 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Ah, did I hit a nerve?
If making simple-minded comments to nowhere without substance is to "hit a nerve," you're hitting them out of the park!

Old 01-27-2018, 10:11 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I always forget the singular focus typically encountered in these gun threads, typically by the usual characters, but with all due respect, that article touches on a good deal more than magazine size, much that I would think provides more the balance of consideration and analysis that many gun enthusiasts even promote, the more reasonable gun enthusiasts anyway. For starters, here's what the article offerred for consideration about magazine size that is not exactly the panacea gun enthusiasts like to suggest gun control advocates think it is.

"A ban on large-capacity ammunition magazines might also make some difference to the lethality of mass shootings. The best rough estimate for a long-term impact of the ban, researcher Chris Koper suggested, might be a 1% reduction in shootings, or 650 fewer people shot per year. That effect would only begin to be seen after many years, once the US’s existing stock of large capacity magazines is used up. From a public health perspective, even a marginal reduction could be worth it, Koper argued, since the medical and social cost of a single gunshot injury is substantial."

True or not to whatever extent, as I have commented many times, I have little optimism there is any satisfying way to reduce gun violence in America and certainly not without an entire host of efforts combined, most of which do NOT have anything to do with removing guns from the hands of law-abiding Americans.
Remove the emotion from it and see it logically You will have a satisfying way to reduce "gun violence"
I addressed one way in doing just that. Odd you nor others have seriously challenged what I had proposed. Especially when I lay the plan on the table with mentioning I wont address hyperbole.
What do I get?
*crickets*

Quote:
Not sure you read the article beyond the headline or actually gave it any real consideration. Can't say I'm surprised, but lots of "freaks" are addressing this issue as well. Also noted in the same article...

Urban, gang-related violence: the Boston ceasefire strategy

Chicago, Oakland, New Orleans, Detroit: decades of gun violence have had a devastating impact on some of the country’s economically struggling neighborhoods.

The violence, rooted in segregation, unemployment, mass incarceration, and the “war on drugs”, can seem like a hopeless and intractable problem. But decades of justice department-funded research has identified several promising strategies for reducing gun violence – not over the long term, but immediately, in a matter of months.

Cities that have done in-depth analyses of their gun violence problem have found something surprising: the majority of violence is driven by a very small number of young men. In Oakland, for instance, just 1,000 members of a few active street groups were responsible for most of the city’s homicides. The violence was not fueled by turf wars or drug business, for the most part, but by long-running feuds and arguments among loose groups of young men engaged in other illegal activities.

Communicating directly with these young men – and offering both assistance and intense law enforcement attention – led to an immediate drop in violence. This “ceasefire” or “focused deterrence” strategy, first launched in Boston in 1996, requires coordination between police departments, prosecutors and community members in the neighborhoods most affected by violence.
And what plan specifically curtails their activities?
That is the problem with "gun control" What applies to the bad seed must apply to all in the name and sake of being fair? No. Chicago Oakland NOLA Detroit, Those are their problems to address. And it goes on neglected just like the school shootings.
I propose a fix I catch hell.
Others have proposed a fix. They catch hell.
It tells me every time I engage in these debates, there is no genuine concern by the side that wants to ban. They just want to ban, curtail, and subjectively interpret and dictate to others on the basis of what goes on in the cities and suburbs, and what goes on in isolated incidents.
School shootings-No deterrence present.
Cities-No deterrence present. You could put a cop on every street corner in those cities. They would become targets. That wouldn't solve anything.
Shot Spotter. Again. Its a monitoring device, and an expensive one to use. Again. NO deterrent present. Wait until folks figure out how to trigger it by slapping 2 bricks together in an alley way...
The approach I find from the left and the anti gun crowd is much the same in everything else.

Monitor it. Thats all they want to do is Monitor.
Do not give others the right to defend themselves.
Make them dependent upon the police to ensure their safety. Seconds matter. Help is only minutes away.
Demonize the implement to create an allure. Also to create more tensions between left and right or pro vs anti.
Skip over the incentive, the motive, and the individuals reasons for doing such heinous activities. Its the guns fault...

Quote:
Let's be honest, shall we? The opportunity to go on about guns like this for gun enthusiasts is perhaps second only to the love of shooting them. The want to intelligently and rationally consider the pros/cons of gun control in an objective manner (without all the usual childish insults) pales in comparison.

That said, there are SOME gun enthusiasts who are able to have an intelligent adult conversation about this subject just like SOME can generally talk politics in the same way. Just a little too rare in this forum to waste too much time trying is all...
Intelligent mature conversation. Pfft. Not with the likes that have commented continuously in these threads with knee jerk responses. There is no communicating with them. Fact be damned. Look at the arguing had between myself and lvmensch.
Wants to ban the AR15 in one breath for having no legitimate purpose other than to kill as many people as possible...
Ignores the statistics doesnt even know what the definition of statistics Is to begin with, makes the outlandish claim that there has to be some sort of benefit with the deaths that occur to justify the rifles existence?
Again skip over the fact a human element existed to control and manipulate the weapon... Its the weapon. The inanimate object solely or majorly responsible.

Quote:
There's that circle I'm talking about, and considering you are one of the biggest offenders unable to move on with something a bit more substantive, more circling it is! In fact here it seems the suggestion we go backwards instead.

From bad to worse but also not altogether atypical of these gun threads to nowhere...
Well, we have tried it in the anti gunners way for years. Multiple times.
Clintons AWB did not reduce or curtail or stop anything. Columbine still happened. 2 sawed off shotguns and an intratec9 pistol.

The ban. The limit. The regulation. The curtailing of rights. Does not work. Does not reduce. Does not Stop.

Having a deterrence does.
We once had a common agreement on responsible gun owners.
When liberals took the approach of being proactive in the school about safe sex, there was a decline in teen pregnancy from 1990-2014. Decline in teenage pregnancy, decline in teenage abortion, decline in STD rates among teens too.
Now the numbers of kids finding weapons and injuring or offing themselves and others, is a tiny fraction of those who have fallen.
If the goal is to have responsible gun owners. Reduce the occurrences of these events and tragedies from happening... Why not teach responsible manners in school like with safe sex?

Its a legitimate question. Why are firearms demonized and the mere suggestion of introducing a program or class to address the elephant in the room met with such vehement opposition?
Could it be a political agenda would lose relevancy as it loses victims bodies to stand on top of to grandstand on behalf of?

I believe so. As insulting as that is and tacky and brutal that is, can't fault me for being honest with my opinion generated from an observation...

I honestly believe if there were guns everywhere and drastically reduced crimes/accidents/negligent occurrences, democrats would not have something to present to their voting base.
The would lose relevancy.
I'm convinced of it.

Prove me wrong.
Firearms go back in the classroom.
Children are taught safe practices and methods along with laws. Let them know how much they risk and stand to lose for being an Ahole and stupid with a firearm.

Allow Teachers and school faculty to exercise their 2nd amendment rights to keep and bear arms to have the means of defense to protect the students and themselves.
Want specifics on how I would address it? Fine I would list and address every concern conceivable. But I will not engage in hyperbolic rhetoric, doomsday prophecies, and ridiculous what Ifs.

Basics of the above.
1. Expedite their concealed carry permit. Teachers can not hold a license to teach while holding a felony charge. Just do the finger printing the passport ID and turn around in a quicker fashion to get them their permit/license following their state guidelines. If their state even requires a CCW.
2. Train during summer break. Train right there in the class room with simunition rounds with sheriffs dept/swat/law enforcement and private and volunteer trainers. I would volunteer to take part in training the faculty. Starting with the basic principles and go right on up to force on force with simulating an active shooter. You get the bang, the concussion as close as the real thing as possible.
3. Help to hone through what worked, what didn't work and how to do improve.
4. Want smart gun tech so a teachers weapon can not be lifted by a crazed student? Fine we can do that.
5. Want a safe or lockable and readily accessible container for the weapon? Fine we can do that too.
6. Want a budget for what it would cost? I can come up with it. For the simunition rounds, the weapons, the cost of a container/smart gun tech.

Do not counter with the kids will die in droves. A teacher will snap and kill all the kids. I won't engage in hyperbole.

Inner cities and such...

That's a separate problem and the outline to address that is listed in that article. Yet... Mayors are not coordinating efforts to address it. So I will.

Want the shootings to stop in your big cities and urban areas?
Perhaps maybe lower taxes to attract businesses to hire the locals. That way they are not turning to criminal enterprise to float themselves and their families. Provide an opportunity for gods sake!
If its true that this isnt "gang" warfare but just some confused young men with a grudge... Speak to them. Show them the error in their ways. Provide them with a positive figure to look up to. Provide them with an alternative than You scuffed my shoe? I shoot you fool! Or you stole my girl, I steal your life! If true that young men are killing each other due to rivalry and petty instances leading to a big violent grudge... Then perhaps address the incentives there that exist that promote this crap.

The way the article cites it, it seems more a cultural thing than a legitimate crime thing... Insinuating live by the sword, die by it...
Yet...
You look at the age group. Say 17-24 urban environment and 17-24 rural environment.

How is it the rural kids aren't offing themselves in record numbers?
Is it
1. Lack of single parent house holds?
2. Growing up with responsible parents?
3. Educated in proper and responsible practices with a firearm?
4. Know the act of threatening to do harm with, or actually doing harm with, is a crime with a hefty punishment and is not worth it?

What separates the urban kids from the rural kids?
For the concept of guns=death... How is it Billy Bob in rural areas doesn't grab his gun when disrespected? Yet... Hard Street Harold can put a hole in your face for "dissing" him in some fashion?
If that is the angle the report wants to run with... Its just misguided youth who turn to violence in inner cities and rack up the body count over grudges and such...

At least there was an acknowledgement of Yeah, you know what... There is something more to it than guns... And that, I can respect...
Solely the gun? Now you're being silly...

Old 01-27-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We already have TONS of Gun Control laws on the Federal, State, and Local level. Most of them are UN Constitutional yet activist courts uphold them. For a RIGHT enumerated in the Constitution, not to be infringed, it certainly has a lot of infringements. CA, NY, NJ, MA, CT, RT, HI, and others are specific examples on the state level.
An argument like this one always reminds me of when a woman asks if a dress she loves looks good on her. If you don't agree it does, maybe best to say you think so anyway, because there's no winning otherwise...

We have countless examples of court decisions that have gone both ways when issues of constitutionality are concerned. The legal decisions, rationale and precedents all documented, reviewed and tested time and time again. When we can assume decisions contrary to our way of thinking are "unconstitutional" even despite the many levels of our legal system that deem otherwise, all the way to the Supreme Court, well we're no longer talking intelligently about those legal cases.

That said with all due respect to your constitutional legal expertise of course!

Old 01-27-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Remove the emotion from it and see it logically You will have a satisfying way to reduce "gun violence"

At least there was an acknowledgement of Yeah, you know what... There is something more to it than guns... And that, I can respect...

Solely the gun? Now you're being silly...
My sincere apologies, but your comments can be a little overwhelming. How about a little distillation to save us both a little time and trouble?

No emotion I have about this subject other than the want for less violence clouds my judgement about this subject. If you disagree, please be specific about where you feel I am of opinion different from yours, and I can confirm and further explain as perhaps necessary.

I can easily agree with your conclusion "there is something more to it than guns."

Easy enough. That help any?

Old 01-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The argument in your post is simply dull. That device was designed primarily as an assault weapon for relatively close in combat.
Really? An Add circa 1963 when the AR15 first hit the market.

Does it say anything about close combat? Nope.
Assault weapon. If I slap you in your head does my hand constitute as an assault weapon?

Assault is an action.
Weapon is a noun.
Are you implying that a weapon, an inanimate object, is capable of assault?

Quote:
It is capable in even a semiautomatic version of a high rate of fire with a relatively large ammunition load.
It is an inanimate object incapable of anything. The end user and you should know this being an electrical engineer designing and having expertise in controlling mechanics determines the rate of fire.
Jerry Miculek runs a revolver in blinding fast speed. Does that make the revolver a machine gun? Due to his ability to achieve a high rate of fire? What of him using any other weapon because of his training and abilities... Again. Gloss over the individual hold the implement responsible...

Quote:
Paddock demonstrated its capability very well as did Mateen and Johnson.
No they demonstrated their sick sadistic deeds.
They have shown when seconds matter help is but minutes away.

Quote:
The fact that you choose to assemble a relatively long barreled version to hunt coyotes in no way changes the design intent.
Design intent...
Do you understand how foolish that sounds?

Designed intent...
LOL

Again gloss over the individual... and jump straight to implement.
What of those 8 run over in NYC?
That gets a pass. As the truck has a design intent to carry loads...

Quote:
I am an electrical engineer with decades of experience in designing and controlling mechanisms.
You are? Good. Design a mechanism that controls criminals with electric. Call it. The thug zapper. Make a tesla coil to put in cities with cameras up all around. Someone brandishes a firearm ZAP just to knock them down and out cold.

We have a common goal and different ways of accomplishing it. You are not going to control my rights and the rights of others due to your fear. It isn't going to happen. I wont stand for it nor allow it. Neither will millions of others who are fed up with this seek to ban approach. Its feeble at best. Absolutely foolish.
For an engineer you really have a clouded intelligence thinking the best and only way is to ban and curtail rights of current and future generations. Wrong. There are better ways in addressing things. More than 1 way to skin a cat. This country has been hijacked and held hostage by anti gun liberals for years and we have seen their method prove to be flawed, significantly flawed. Couple that with with social engineering to breed weak offended lemmings and you have the perfect stew for degeneracy population which can't be independent, well, chooses to be dependent on others (primarily the government) to solve their problems and push a boogey man ban theory.

TIMES UP!
Your side and mentality had your chance and blew it. Your sides methods... DON'T WORK!
With the laws your side has enacted, it prevents Our sides from becoming implemented UNLESS and I am doing this, Garner enough signatures on a petition to overturn these flawed laws. Now would be the time to do it with a 1 for 2 regulation approach under Trump.
I want to take the country back from being weak victims dependent upon a nanny or an adult in the room, and bring back being Independent, capable of thinking and doing for oneself, and having a spine to do the right thing when necessary. Rather than become another statistic.

I don't want a future full of idiots dependent on big brother, freebie this freebie that, boohoo my feelings are hurt, arrest that person for wrong think. I am a victim and need special treatment. Boo hoo life is hard the government can solve my problems for me. That ends. I don't want to see the future of this nation follow the lead of Europe or any other nation. Our slogan used to be Land of the Free, Home of the Brave. Today... Pfft.

Land of the dependent lemming, Home of the wimp incapable and offended.

What sucks for your side... Being a teenager and young adult and paying close attention to the BS that was spoon fed in school and college... Being observant to your sides ways and way of thinking...
Nah.
I don't have a problem with a blue dog dem. Bleeding heart firearmphobic control freaks and this constantly offended mantra that is the modern democrat party? Is a cancer.

Quote:
I also learned to shoot in the 50s and served in the US Army in that decade. I suspect I can still strip an M1 or M1 carbine. I am reasonably familiar with the modern guns though neither an expert nor hobbyist. I may well chose to get a concealed weapons permit one of these years.
Good thing paddock didn't use an M1... It would have been ALOT worse... that little varmint cartridge he used is responsible for 58? Had he used a 30-06 and trained with that... phew...

That's a step in the right direction.
Nothing wrong with seeking the means to defend yourself. Do it Monday.
Now is salad days. Great deals to be had for all.
Serious. Go do it. Want deals and promo codes? I will hook ya up

Old 01-27-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
My sincere apologies, but your comments can be a little overwhelming.

Overwhelming?
You have to read it all. Seriously, not being a dick. Read it all.

I'll read those blazing walls of text from Chance and Change every time they come around to dismantle their point piece by piece. I would expect others do the same to me.

That way specifics are addressed and we aren't swatting flies with a pizza peel.
And addressing in terms of generalizations. Am I and Bent and handful of others in here the only ones who read and dissect piece by piece?
Regardless how long the post is?

Read it all, dissect it at your discretion. Bring forth what you want to debate/talk about.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:51 AM

716 posts, read 393,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The AR-15 is no different from any other semi auto hunting rifle that accepts a magazine. It is a very commonly used rifle, THE most common in the U.S. It is used widely for hunting, target shooting, competition, and home defense. It scares Urban, Liberal/Progressives, because they have no experience with them, and fear all guns.
I have to agree with Pilot1 on this issue. As he points out, an AR15 is no different from any other semi-auto rifle that accepts a magazine. They're only being 'targeted' due to their black scary look.

Unlike most gun owners, I have no problem with reasonable restrictions. I want to see a background check for every firearm buyer for example, but making specious arguments does not help our cause.

Making AR15's illegal is just feel good idea that will never see the light of day. If you want to propose a change that would help, work to pass legislation that restricts magazines to 10 rounds. It would not only help reduce the carnage a nut job can inflict, it's a restriction that would actually have a chance to be made into law...

Old 01-27-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
An argument like this one always reminds me of when a woman asks if a dress she loves looks good on her. If you don't agree it does, maybe best to say you think so anyway, because there's no winning otherwise...
No she asked for my opinion I gave it to her. She doesn't have to like my opinion. It isn't going to change my opinion. If she is that butt hurt over my opinion she can always leave, or try something else on.
I am honest. Brutally honest.

Honey does this dress make me look fat?
No but you wolfing down cheetos and burger king doesn't help you or the dresses cause...
Her jaw drops. I giggle.

At any time she can either say F you and walk. Or take my "mean words" into consideration, alter her diet up... For her sake she may want to alter her diet and take my constructive criticism for her own health and well being not for my viewing pleasure...

*awaits the feminists to screech REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

Old 01-27-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Overwhelming?
You have to read it all. Seriously, not being a dick. Read it all.

I'll read those blazing walls of text from Chance and Change every time they come around to dismantle their point piece by piece. I would expect others do the same to me.

That way specifics are addressed and we aren't swatting flies with a pizza peel.
And addressing in terms of generalizations. Am I and Bent and handful of others in here the only ones who read and dissect piece by piece?
Regardless how long the post is?

Read it all, dissect it at your discretion. Bring forth what you want to debate/talk about.
Sorry, I've not got that sort of time...

You tell me where we differ and why, and I'll go from there. I already tried to distill to that end. If not good enough and/or you feel we have reason to further exchange opinion, do let me know, but please don't ask I read all that in addition to all the rest of the reading required from news sites and all other comments in this thread and others.

In fact, I try to avoid gun threads as a rule, but anyone who seems to be wanting an exchange that goes beyond the simpleton insulting kind, is always worthy of consideration far as I'm concerned. Thanks again in any case, but I suspect we don't disagree about much.

Besides, I've got to sign off now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies