Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 04:44 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually in any realistic outcome they will be grandfathered. Maybe a ban on sales with some sort of by back procedure. But no I do not expect that anyone will come to take the ARs.

As I have said a number of times as long as we have the existing interpretation of the 2nd I will support permissive concealed carry and may chose to do so myself. But let us not misunderstand. There is every indication that people armed with handguns will not do well against anyone with an AR. See Johnson in Dallas and Mateen in Orlando.
I don't understand your dislike of ARs. They are not a particularly powerful rifle. The magazines don't hold any more rounds than most of the old hunting rifles that have been around for many years, most of which are far more deadly than ARs, and shoot at the same rate. Is it because of the way they look? The old weapon ban was based solely on looks, a muzzle loader with some of the "black" accessories would have been illegal under the ban. They are just as good if not better for hunting than a semi-auto 22 which have been on the market for many years. For most shootings, they have not been the weapon used, most use a handgun. I do not understand the hysteria over an AR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 04:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I don't understand your dislike of ARs. They are not a particularly powerful rifle. The magazines don't hold any more rounds than most of the old hunting rifles that have been around for many years, most of which are far more deadly than ARs, and shoot at the same rate. Is it because of the way they look? The old weapon ban was based solely on looks, a muzzle loader with some of the "black" accessories would have been illegal under the ban. They are just as good if not better for hunting than a semi-auto 22 which have been on the market for many years. For most shootings, they have not been the weapon used, most use a handgun. I do not understand the hysteria over an AR.
I don't dislike ARs. If I had to bust into a hostile room I would want a fully automatic AR. But Paddock, Mateen and Johnson show me why they may not be good things to have widely around. And Paddock apparently had some with 100 round magazines. Got off something like 2000 shots in something like 10 minutes.

And even a very good rifleman would not have approached that death toll with an M1.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:15 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,690 times
Quote:
I don't dislike ARs. If I had to bust into a hostile room I would want a fully automatic AR. But Paddock, Mateen and Johnson show me why they may not be good things to have widely around. And Paddock apparently had some with 100 round magazines. Got off something like 2000 shots in something like 10 minutes.

And even a very good rifleman would not have approached that death toll with an M1.
If I had to burst into said room, I'd rather have a semi-auto short barrelled shotgun and a handgun...or an MP5...

As for the people mentioned...perhaps gun bans for Leftists would be the right thing to do since they're the ones doing all the shootings!

Old 01-27-2018, 05:29 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Still nonsense.
The thing is designed to be used as a bullet fire hose. The fact you can and do use it otherwise does not change that. If it was outlawed you would easily find other guns to use in the same pursuits.
So, you admit that outlawing the AR15 would merely lead to people finding another firearm to take its place. Yet, you still want to ban it because banning it would keep people from using it for illegal purposes.

Do you read what you type or do you just randomly fill in words?

Old 01-27-2018, 05:31 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:

100 round magazines can be bought or made for many old hunting rifles. Take a larger caliber rifle and more of the injured would probably have been dead. And I have not read where they had fully automatic weapons. I thought they guy in Vegas used a bump stock.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
So, you admit that outlawing the AR15 would merely lead to people finding another firearm to take its place. Yet, you still want to ban it because banning it would keep people from using it for illegal purposes.

Do you read what you type or do you just randomly fill in words?
It would make what Paddock, Johnson and Mateen did much more difficult. While not really interfering with NVPlumbers need to shoot coyotes.

I write reasonably carefully and pretty much mean what I say. Lack of comprehension though often occurs in those with s strong bias.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:43 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
It would make what Paddock, Johnson and Mateen did much more difficult. While not really interfering with NVPlumbers need to shoot coyotes.
What Paddock, Johnson, and Mateen did could have been accomplished with other firearms currently on the market. Would it have been more difficult? A little bit, sure, but not noticeably. Do you really think that Paddock, for example, would have changed his mind if ARs weren't available? He planned the attack out, you think he wouldn't have done the same if he had to use a different firearm?

Quote:
I write reasonably carefully and pretty much mean what I say. Lack of comprehension though often occurs in those with s strong bias.
You want to ban ARs to stop shootings, yet you know (and have admitted) that one can simply use a different firearm for the same purpose. So your issue isn't shootings, your issue is with the AR15. You could care less how many people get shot, as long as the shooter uses a different firearm.

That, in a nutshell, sums up your position. And shows your bias.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:47 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

The violence, rooted in segregation, unemployment, mass incarceration, and the “war on drugs”, can seem like a hopeless and intractable problem. But decades of justice department-funded research has identified several promising strategies for reducing gun violence – not over the long term, but immediately, in a matter of months.
Mass incarceration causes violence? Isn't it the other way around?

Segregation causes violence? So black people kids need to have more white folks around them to keep them from shooting each other?

Old 01-27-2018, 05:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Gun violence is disproportionately urban (ie, black. hispanic)...if you back that out, we have the same homicide rates as some Western European countries, like Belgium.

This is a demographics problem, more than a firearm problem.
No we don't at all. The white homicide rate is like 2.7. Europe is roughly a third of that rate. This is clearly the effect of guns IMO.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/su6001a14.htm

Old 01-27-2018, 05:54 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Wrong...
So wrong...

That is your opinion, your feelings.
Our Rights do not begin or end around your feelings.

If outlawed LOL What? You coming to get them?

Not one person who owns 1 is willing to forfeit theirs.

We're going to fight to keep them and to keep manufacturing them.

I've bout said my piece in regards to the plethora of jobs the AR does and does well. I asked for some solid factual backing of the absolute statement made as to the rifle being just a bullet hose, provided concrete facts to back it all up and all we've seen is more speaking in absolutes based on propaganda.

As things are the AR is pretty much the 21st century version of the Kentucky/Pennsylvania long rifle. Old Betsy with a space age look. Mine goes with me in the truck whenever I head to the back 40 and I have been known to pack it horseback too. It's light weight, accurate and can pack as much or as little punch as I may need for any given task.

It's a breeze to maintain and repair and the modular design lends itself very well to custom touches. Yepper, the AR is as American as Cheeseburgers and onion rings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies