Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 07:07 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Yeah, I could go along with that.

I just wish there was a way to get people to not even start. It's not like people before they start, aren't aware of the ramifications of drug and alcohol abuse.

It's the same thing with tobacco products. You'd have to be living on Mars to not understand the consequences of smoking. I might have smoked maybe half a dozen cigarettes in my lifetime if that. The first time I tried one, I thought: These things taste like s**t! They serve no purpose. Why would I want to continue?

I do kinda' feel sorry for people who are addicted to drugs. It wasn't like my cousin was a bad person. Christ, we grew up together and shared a lot of good times when we were kids. We sure raised a lot of hell together. He'd give you the shirt off his back. But that all ended when he got involved with that crap. From his late teens till the day he died his whole life revolved around drugs. My father would often say: My God, what a waste of a perfectly good body.

Then you think of all the people who died through no fault of their own who would just love to had a chance at life only to see others just flush their lives down the toilet. It really is a crying shame.

One of my nephews was born with a rare genetic disease and died at age 18. Right before his high school graduation. What a great kid, my God what he had to endure while growing up. Most adults couldn't deal with that and yet he soldiered on. We miss him terribly. Then I think of my cousin.

Obviously there are no laws to prevent people from destroying themselves. But when they do it can sure wreak havoc on their friends and family as well. You can be damn sure of that.
Unfortunately, just like there is no way to stop violence there is no way to stop addiction. I come from a family that has more than its fair share of addicts. All four of my grandparents were functioning alcoholics, and their kids were young adults just in time for the hippy movement. Some dabbled, some never stopped. I've had my own issues with addiction in the past, both alcohol and harder stuff. I was a young adult in South Florida in the early nineties, you can do the math. No law ever stopped anyone in my family from indulging in their habits.

The point is, we can't stop addiction. We've been trying for fifty years and had no success. It sucks, but it's the truth. What we can do is try to educate our children about the dangers and encourage them to ignore peer pressure. We can also stop destroying the lives of people who fall down that proverbial slope by taking away any chance of getting help for their problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 07:09 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
As I said a background check might mean different things and it does. I never discussed NICS.

I could tell you what is needed to decrease the likelihood of gun violence but you are not going to like it.
Go for it.

But remember if I give you what you want, you give me what I want. And I promise you, you won't like that.

Compromise is meeting in the middle.
Want psych screenings. Want blood. Hair. Finger prints. Registry.

I get unrestricted access to everything I want.
Belt fed/box fed machine guns.
Suppressors deregulated to be a fire arm accessory no different than that of a sling bipod or optic.
No limits on ammo.

Fair compromise yes?

Old 10-20-2017, 07:09 PM

9,142 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about, not having a registry is actually one of the problems.
Yeah, that's a problem alright.
Ya can't round em up if ya don't know where they are.

Not an inch.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
A registry ?! Which part didn't you get, 42 arrests and 15 felony convictions ....he should be rotting away in a cell not on some registry.
Well, he obviously did his lawful "rotting away" and then got out so shouldn't the nation know about him and his whereabouts to protect them from this obviously very,very dangerous person?

Old 10-20-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Yeah, that's a problem alright.
Ya can't round em up if ya don't know where they are.

Not an inch.
I want to see if they are for fair compromise.
If they want ridiculous demands. We make ours.

No restrictions. What so ever. No limits. What so ever. They get their registry and rainbow unicorns and puppy dogs. We get everything the military has/had access to short of field artillery and nukes.

I want to see if they're for real on a fair compromise.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:13 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I have never understood the law against suicide. It is only technically suicide if they succeed. How would they arrest a dead person?
Very simple. Capital punishment for suicide attempters.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, he obviously did his lawful "rotting away" and then got out so shouldn't the nation know about him and his whereabouts to protect them from this obviously very,very dangerous person?
Maryland shooter?

He was a convicted felon... he didn't buy those guns at a gun store or a gun show...

Old 10-20-2017, 07:16 PM

9,142 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I want to see if they are for fair compromise.
If they want ridiculous demands. We make ours.

No restrictions. What so ever. No limits. What so ever. They get their registry and rainbow unicorns and puppy dogs. We get everything the military has/had access to short of field artillery and nukes.

I want to see if they're for real on a fair compromise.

Nukes make really lousy self defense weapons.
It's just so damn hard to get out of the blast radius in time.
No use for artillery either, ammo is too expensive.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Nukes make really lousy self defense weapons.
It's just so damn hard to get out of the blast radius in time.
No use for artillery either, ammo is too expensive.
Sure would make for one hell of a grand finale on the 4th of July though!

Old 10-20-2017, 07:19 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,305,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Perhaps reading comprehension is not your forte?
Even punching someone int he face to steal a wallet or a purse is not a crime to lock someone up for life.

Now, violently beating (with possibility of killing) is a very different story....same as attacking a much more weak person (an old lady for example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies