Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 10:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Paddock must be a hero to you. Forty something guns.

And that has been what is happening over the last decades. the gun owners have been vastly increasing the number of guns held by each.

But the percentage of the households who have a gun has gone down over a third.

For a report on gun ownership...

http://www.vpc.org/studies/ownership.pdf
About five years ago, I received a survey call about gun ownership.

I lied and said I didn't own any.

Honestly, I'd guess that at least a third of gun owner would say in a survey, school questionnaire, medical questionnaire, etc that they don't own any guns.

I'd also guess it has been a growing trend that is reflected in that survey, making it unreliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 10:27 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So, putting emotions aside, which Gun laws would you support?
A Ban on Bump Stocks
A Ban on Silencers
A Ban on High Capacity Rifle Magazines (30 Rounds or more)
A Ban on All AR and Military Type Rifles
A Ban on All Semiautomatic Rifles
A Ban on All Magazines over 10 Rounds, Rifle and Handgun
A Ban on All Handguns and Rifles
A Ban on Bulk Sales of Ammunition (No more than 200 rounds per month)
A roll back on All Gun Laws Nationwide
Don't Care
The only ban that would actually work is a total ban of firearms. Not only would it take 20-30 years to start getting some results, but it would start a revolution in this country. We're not Europe or Australia.

Also, none of the things on that ban list would prevent crazy people from committing mass murders. Just look at Britain or France. It's almost impossible to get a legal firearm in these countries, yet they experience more large scale massacres than the U.S. per-capita.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:28 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How many AR 15s can one person fire simultaneously?

What does this have to do with my question? The issue here is not physical ability, but owning a large number being a sign of mental instability.

And since you chose to respond, please give an answer to my question.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:35 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
What does this have to do with my question? The issue here is not physical ability, but owning a large number being a sign of mental instability.

Is being a collector a sign of instability?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:

It wouldn't matter if a person owned three or two hundred.

If some psycho wants to go on a killing spree, after they hit three, there really is no point or advantage for any more.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:36 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
It MIGHT cause a madman to switch from a gun to a truck, plane, explosives or fire.
Those all have been used already here, and abroad. We are not going to stop criminals, or the insane from committing violent crime by enacting bans. What will happen is the law abiding citizen will be disarmed, and even more at risk from these people.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:38 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Banned drugs cant be kept out of prisons with 24/7 surveillance, a gun ban would be the same failure.
all gun bans do is create a violent black market just as drug bans have done.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Is being a collector a sign of instability?

Can you give an amount of AR15 clones being bought by your neighbor that would be a concerning number for you or not? Im not much interested in a discussion in which the other side repeatedly avoids answering my questions by asking more of their own each time I give an honest and direct answer to theirs, as I have courteously done with you (it was 4, in case you missed it). Its a waste of my time .

Old 10-07-2017, 10:41 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Sure. There is a big difference between working out firefight scenarios for LEO's and creating them for TEOTWAWKI bunch .

So , given an evidently normal civilian like the Vegas shooter was, is there any limit of AR15 purchases that would raise a red flag to you about the sanity and mental health of the guy buying them? Especially if these purchase were increasing rapidly in recent months?
Difficult to say.

For one thing, the -15 seems to be an extremely popular rifle. In my weekly flyers from Academy, I am seeing them on sale for about $550 and that's not much money to spend, basically. I mean, I gasp when I realize that I have spent that on ammo but then realize I easily spend that much money on videos, so it is not too much (ought to save it, though).

Further, there is the item of "it is not going to see the light of day (because you have so many) except once every 5 or 10 years". That is perhaps true but then again, there are other items that can apply to as well. The amount of money I spend on Renaissance Faire items could fit into that category as well. FURTHER, there are those at Ren Faires who will make a real sword for those who want it, say about $4000. Just mentioning that for those who might say, "Your buffalo cape isn't going to kill anyone".

As far as purchases increasing rapidly in recent months, that could depend on how he perceived the situation. In 2016, I bought 3 pistols, was shopping for another -15, and had an upper -15 on order. Why? I thought Hillary Clinton was going to win the election.

NOW, if I was going to create a computer program to search for a person getting ready to go off the deep end, I'd probably have a bunch of conditions programmed into it. What kind of conditions I don't know because I have not researched that area yet. As an example, however, to detect a possible human trafficking operation, I would be "listening" for word back from the street of "The girl didn't even speak English!".

That's one of those things of trying to detect this or that kind of operation of any of many kind of operations. It means really getting DEEP into what is going on, what chemicals might be used in their production (illegal salvage), of what motivates someone to be a buyer of that criminal market (many affairs), of why supposedly common events are happening more often (illegal salvage). Let's take the buyer for an example from my side of work.

One of the things that is expected of me when I make a report on a criminal problem is my recommendation of how to solve that problem. If it is a criminal profit issue, I examine that market to find ways to disrupt it, such as finding ways to stop people from being buyers in that market.

Etc, etc, etc. I'm going into details from my line of work to show two things. The telltales are not that simple. "How would you solve" is not a question that is answered in five minutes.

Quote:
Can you give an amount of AR15 clones being bought by your neighbor that would be a concerning number for you or not? Im not much interested in a discussion in which the other side repeatedly avoids answering my questions by asking more of their own each time I give an honest and direct answer to theirs, as I have courteously done with you (it was 4, in case you missed it). Its a waste of my time .
They say that in Texas, anyone who doesn't have at least 20 thousand rounds on hand is an amateur.

For me, I suppose there is no number that would be of concern to me. For one thing, I once worked for a gun dealer. I was under an informal apprenticeship, for another field, with him but he was an FFL and I had the clearances to handle the guns for him.

As an FFL, his gun safe was impressive. When he went out of business, his final sale was impressive as well. He had, for one thing, an exotic .17 rifle that is still a temptation to me this day (but I have enough different calibers to keep in stock and I don't need another).

Did his massive amount of fire power raise a concern? No, because that is the world I operate in. As a further example of that world, I remember when a FWB got out of bed with me, got dressed, and strapped on his pistol. While in an instant I was slightly alarmed, in the next I was not because that is my world.

As we say in the psychology world, you can't take things in a vacuum, you have to consider the whole picture.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, why don't I buy more -15s? Because the modern design does not suit me. I am old fashion, I want the carry handle and those sights, I have no use for the rail system. What is being sold in the -15 does not suit my style. As far as the -10 goes, those are hardly ever on sale.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 10-07-2017 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-07-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
It wouldn't matter if a person owned three or two hundred.

If some psycho wants to go on a killing spree, after they hit three, there really is no point or advantage for any more.

Agreed on the physical ability to shoot them, which is why my number was 4. But again, as I have made clear and which you seem to wish to avoid, we are talking large numbers being a sign of mental instability. So a neighbor owning 200-300 AR15 clones would not ring any warning bells in your head or make you wonder at the guys mental state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies