Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 09:51 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, A and B.

A: Maybe having people getting their man card with the -15 and the current rail system is a good thing. I think the post system for marksmanship is the stupidest thing I've seen because it adds undue fatigue to the shooter. I learned the slings in JROTC or the palm rest in standing which moved to using the magazine of the -14 in the Navy. Then when I was out of the Navy, I taught myself a combat sling but still resting the rifle in my hand. Having to expend muscle energy gripping something just seems counter productive beyond belief....if one isn't on the battlefield.

B: What's too much? Well, what's the situation? There are three ready lockers in my house and then there is the vault room. The carbines in two of those ready lockers are 9mm, to be of a common caliber with the pistols they share the locker with. The ready lockers are by the doors so if a threat should be by the door, there is something there to be grabbed, to handle the situation. Those other carbines in the vault room ARE IN the vault room because they don't have such an instant need.

Further, one must consider the other thing as well. We are constantly in talk to ban or otherwise severely limit purchase the semi auto rifles. Given how that is almost always around, is it any wonder that people buy materials to keep what they have viable?

Just out of curiosity, are you connected officially some way with law enforcement or the military? I think I have seen you post about creating training scenarios with weapons, and I am wondering if you do this in some official government capacity for LEO or military, or if you are one of those that go out in the woods and pretend to be taking on zombies or the liberal US government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 09:56 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,450,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
If I can afford it I should be able to buy it... Not to go off topic but could I ask your position on the Electoral College?
I'm not well versed when it comes to the Electoral College, but I don't have any major problems with it. I believe it was originally put in place as a way to control who gets into office, because the founding fathers didn't feel the common man had enough knowledge to vote for sensible electors.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:59 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Just out of curiosity, are you connected officially some way with law enforcement or the military? I think I have seen you post about creating training scenarios with weapons, and I am wondering if you do this in some official government capacity for LEO or military, or if you are one of those that go out in the woods and pretend to be taking on zombies or the liberal US government.
In one of my hats, I am a Law Enforcement Researcher. Every so often, people call me up for my opinion on something because I'm an intellectual.

As part of one of my degrees, I worked with SWAT teams testing out a new mapping technology. That project went on for about 2-3 years and one of the members of my board was the regional SWAT commander. I presented that technology at an annual regional police conference.

The work that enables me to pay most of my taxes has had me perform computer security at times such as by looking for information leaks.

I have trained with public safety divers (fire/police) and I work, other work, for an organization that has provided manpower and equipment for a PSD team.

Is that sufficient to answer your question?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:05 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
Quote:
In one of my hats, I am a Law Enforcement Researcher. Every so often, people call me up for my opinion on something because I'm an intellectual.

As part of one of my degrees, I worked with SWAT teams testing out a new mapping technology. That project went on for about 2-3 years and one of the members of my board was the regional SWAT commander. I presented that technology at an annual regional police conference.

The work that enables me to pay most of my taxes has had me perform computer security at times such as by looking for information leaks.

I have trained with public safety divers (fire/police) and I work, other work, for an organization that has provided manpower and equipment for a PSD team.

Should have told them to mind their own beeswax. They're just fishing for a opening to take a shot at gun owners....

Old 10-07-2017, 10:07 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,835,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Might want to take a look at countries like Australia that heavily restricted guns and haven't had a mass shooting in 21 years. Almost every other developed nation has heavy gun restriction, and their gun violence is astronomically lower than ours.

So yes, it works all over the world.
What a load of horse *****.

Australia has never had gun laws ANYTHING like the USA. Hand guns have always been illegal to open/conceal carry in Australia. In fact they are/were virtually impossible to even own.

Not to mention you've NEVER been able to use a firearm in self defense in Australia. You'd go to jail for murder.

In Australia if someone breaks into your home, you are obligated to retreat. You cannot defend yourself or cause any injury to the invader. **** that.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Sure. There is a big difference between working out firefight scenarios for LEO's and creating them for TEOTWAWKI bunch .

So , given an evidently normal civilian like the Vegas shooter was, is there any limit of AR15 purchases that would raise a red flag to you about the sanity and mental health of the guy buying them? Especially if these purchase were increasing rapidly in recent months?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Should have told them to mind their own beeswax. They're just fishing for a opening to take a shot at gun owners....

Well , since I own guns, that would be strange. My focus is on the AR15 clones. Something readily understandable to those who can read.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:17 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
Good article for those who are against guns and can't understand anyone who is not.

6 Reasons Your Right-Wing Friend Isn

Old 10-07-2017, 10:19 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Ah, I see you had someone explain what I actually said to you, sort of. Good. But my point was about AR15 clones, not guns in general. Looking back on my post that started this line of debate, I see I did not clarify this adequately. My apologies. When I said arsenal, I meant along the lines of the Vegas shooter having a bunch of AR15 clones.

That number, of course , would be the source of much debate. For me, as someone who sees the semi auto as more of a big boy toy , that number would be fairly low. Maybe 3, and then you start to wonder at number 4. But my impression of the semi auto rifle, as an old deer hunter who has never had any trouble bringing down a deer with a bolt action , is not very high and is formed by comments like the gun shop owner who admitted that many of his AR15 clone sales are 18 yr olds buying their first gun who want a military looking weapon and experience without having to actually be in the military (actually said by the gun shop owner in an interview. I don't think he quite understood the impression his comment left), or by the ad campaign of Bushmaster imploring males to "get their man card back" , and seeing their sales increase as these guys flood to gun shops to apparently do just that. This ad campaign was scrubbed about the time of the Adam Lanza shooting, as I guess the mental image of the wide eyed little wimpy looking shooter being "manly" because he just mowed down a bunch of kindergartners with the rifle was too much for them.

But I am curious from your side of the debate. Is there any point at which you saw a friend or neighbor steadily creating an arsenal that you would think " whoa, WTF? This guy is getting a little out there.". We are talking semi auto rifles, not anything else. 10? 25? 50? 100? Is there any number that would raise a red flag to you ?
How many AR 15s can one person fire simultaneously?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:22 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Source?

Regardless, the FACT remains that over the past 20 years, while gun ownership has increased by 50%, the gun homicide rate has decreased by 50% and the nonfatal violent gun crime rate has decreased by 76%.

That is nothing other than a DIRECT BENEFIT to society.
Paddock must be a hero to you. Forty something guns.

And that has been what is happening over the last decades. the gun owners have been vastly increasing the number of guns held by each.

But the percentage of the households who have a gun has gone down over a third.

For a report on gun ownership...

http://www.vpc.org/studies/ownership.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies