Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 10:44 AM

8,157 posts, read 3,678,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Gun bans in the four countries provided in that link prove that a gun ban had little or no effect in reducing murder.
As clear as it gets:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0622114743.htm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 10:47 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Why are you limiting your analysis to murder alone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post

Their homicide rate has been stagnant. Therefore: the gun ban had no effect on it.

And the left arguing that they care about life when they are the ones who argue for assisted suicide and abortion is like a neo-Nazi arguing for more African immigration. It's preposterous.

You people are seriously something.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:52 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We know that so long as you avoid being a gang member your chance of dying in a mass shooting are less than 1/10 of 1%.

I'm more concerned about my fellow Americans $%^ poor driving habits.
What people who make these sorts of comments seem to have trouble understanding is that the numbers, the statistics only tell part of the story, describe part of the problem, and don't prevent us from trying to prevent unnecessary death regardless the numbers!

When some yahoo decides to shoot up a school and children are killed, maimed, the only number you seem to factor is the death count, but the number of shattered lives is exponentially greater in number. People traumatized to some extent or another (like my sister-in-law after the Route 99 shooting) are many more. People affected in one way or another who are watching the gruesome scenes on TV, in the millions...

There is the psychological factor to consider as well. People don't want to be dropping their kids off at school having to think about the next shooting. Don't want to go to a concert to enjoy other than the music. I know people who are actually thinking twice about going to such entertainment venues, where to sit and/or from where the shots might come. Rational or not, productive or not, rightfully fearful or not, when these sorts of incidents are happening more and more often, obviously to be covered by the news, the simple body count is not all that matters.

Right?

In any case and/or in the same way, just because the number of salmonella deaths in this country are relatively low compared to car accident deaths DOES NOT MEAN we don't do what we can to prevent salmonella deaths. Right?

Old 03-27-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Horse Puckey! Of the plethora of states, some have NO uniform requirement to report violent crimes to a central database.

In point of fact what you see reported to FBI, CDC or any other Federal entity that publishes stats is a mere pittance of the violent crimes committed in the U.S.

Give us a break with this silliness as it applies to a uniform method of compiling stats and reportage of violent crimes in the U.S. as compared to other first world nations.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/press/vnrp0610pr.cfm

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...n_4310765.html

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/cri...justice-system

No one's buying the violent crime rate decreasing in America.
I also replied before getting to and reading your comment. Would have saved me the trouble had I read your comment first. Horse puckey indeed!

Old 03-27-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Their homicide rate has been stagnant. Therefore: the gun ban had no effect on it.

And the left arguing that they care about life when they are the ones who argue for assisted suicide and abortion is like a neo-Nazi arguing for more African immigration. It's preposterous.

You people are seriously something.

Lol. Did you read the "Key findings" section? It is in layman's terms, but you are welcome to read the original JAMA article as well.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
beginning of time = tons of guns ...... school shootings = yawn

2000's = still tons of guns..... school shootings = ban guns!!!!

WTF changed... as it sure wasn't the availability of guns

Therefore anyone with at least 1/2 a brain should conclude GUNS aren't the problem.
Another half a brain might consider an equation a bit more complicated than yours, involving more factors, variables, constants and results, if you get my meaning...

"Don't drink and derive!"

Old 03-27-2018, 11:09 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol. Did you read the "Key findings" section? It is in layman's terms, but you are welcome to read the original JAMA article as well.
Soooo, 1.4% decline is progress?

I guess...

So insignificant one could easily conclude my point above: eliminating firearms from society STILL has no significant impact on nonfirearm suicides in that particular country.

Try again.

And as I stated above, liberals who in the same breath argue for assisted suicide and abortion haven't a shred of moral high-ground to stand on when they toss around their manufactured "concerns" about people killing themselves with a firearm. You people couldn't be any more melodramatic in your falsehoods.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
........There is the psychological factor to consider as well. People don't want to be dropping their kids off at school having to think about the next shooting. Don't want to go to a concert to enjoy other than the music. I know people who are actually thinking twice about going to such entertainment venues, where to sit and/or from where the shots might come. Rational or not, productive or not, rightfully fearful or not, when these sorts of incidents are happening more and more often, obviously to be covered by the news, the simple body count is not all that matters.

Right?
Is it?

Does one, a wise one, when they get on a plane not note where the nearest exit to them is, how many rows it is (to count in the smoke)?

Does one not listen to their instinct when it tells them that they should not here?

Do not people, some of them, live life as if they will live forever but are prepared to meet their maker tomorrow?

Have we not said for decades, "Never go to sleep angry at your loved one."?

I hate to tell you this but this is life, that chance, that risk, that possibility. Risk is always there. We can reduce the risk but we can never get totally rid of it.

And people, at least the wise ones, have lived like this for decades.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:13 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
UHHHH, because isn't that the crux of the matter?

What do you think should be included? Suicide with a firearm, is that what you are implying/asking?
Violent crime? Gun-related deaths? Gun-related injuries? Etc.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Soooo, 1.4% decline is progress?

I guess...

So insignificant one could easily conclude my point above: eliminating firearms from society STILL has no significant impact on nonfirearm suicides in that particular country.

Try again.

And as I stated above, liberals who in the same breath argue for assisted suicide and abortion haven't a shred of moral high-ground to stand on when they toss around their manufactured "concerns" about people killing themselves with a firearm. You people couldn't be any more melodramatic in your falsehoods.
Which part do you not understand? Quoting the article:

"In the 18 years prior to federal and state government gun reforms (1979-1996) Australia saw 13 fatal mass shootings in which 104 victims were killed and at least another 52 were wounded. There have been no fatal mass shootings since that time. 'Mass shootings' were defined as five or more victims killed by gunshot, not counting the perpetrator(s). From 1979 to 1996, total firearm deaths in Australia were declining at an average 3 per cent per year. Since then, the average decline in total firearm deaths has accelerated significantly to 5 per cent annually."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies