Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 11:28 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Germany had 3 mass shootings in the mid 2000's and they responded by tightened up its gun control polices in response. Since 2010 they have only had 1 mass shooting. We can argue the effectiveness of the laws put in place but what is important was that the German government and people acted on the problem in order to protect its people.

America has 300+ mass shootings year after year after year and does nothing to stop it. Americans either don't really care about the lives of their fellow citizens or are so mentally fixated on guns they are willing to accept the unwilling sacrifice of many innocent people, children included.

The fact that we had 28 children mass murdered in their school and we didn't do one thing in response to ensure it doesn't happen again speaks volumes.
Please. Stop acting like you have the moral high-ground. Your side is the same side that argues for assisted SUICIDE and abortion.

Moreover, Germany - the German people - are madder than hell that Merkel has allowed millions of foreign conquerors have poisoned their country. They also have a terrorism problem that is only going to grow like cancer now that they've let millions of people that adhere to a conquering ideology like Islam. It isn't a religion, just so you know - it's an ideology bent on conquering the world.

There is so much wrong with Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 11:37 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Please. Stop acting like you have the moral high-ground. Your side is the same side that argues for assisted SUICIDE and abortion.

Moreover, Germany - the German people - are madder than hell that Merkel has allowed millions of foreign conquerors have poisoned their country. They also have a terrorism problem that is only going to grow like cancer now that they've let millions of people that adhere to a conquering ideology like Islam. It isn't a religion, just so you know - it's an ideology bent on conquering the world.

Do you have a point related to the topic at hand?

Old 03-29-2018, 11:43 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Are you advocating we should not have these laws then? Or that they don't have at least some intended affect?

Here too, let's not be ridiculous. No one believes any law keeps everyone from breaking that law, anymore than anyone believes a gun can kill without someone pulling the trigger. We do believe, however, in "a government of laws and not of men." Or do you want to argue this with John Adams and the rest too?
No, but the idea that a law will stop killings is just irrational. Murder is already illegal. Do you think making it double illegal will change anything?

Old 03-29-2018, 11:47 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

Morals are part of what drives people to care about others. Hopefully that applies to both "sides."

Care about these problems, the people dramatically affected by tragedies like these, and we have no choice but to consider what to do about them morally speaking. For other reasons too for that matter. Of course. No doubt it is hard to keep the emotions in check, especially for those who have lost a loved one, been crippled, let alone died, but also no doubt we have to be intelligent and objective about solving problems in an effective and productive way.

Not sure I appreciate your "side" arguing my choice about suicide or abortion, let alone a woman's, but I'll leave that be since our personal beliefs should not get in the way of also deciding what is the right or wrong about these issues for others in a fair and intelligent way. No doubt there are lots of other threads about those topics too that we can turn to if we want to go to another topic of contention...

Old 03-29-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
No, but the idea that a law will stop killings is just irrational. Murder is already illegal. Do you think making it double illegal will change anything?
Maybe quote me verbatim as to what idea you are referring to, so I can see why it is you think it is my idea. I haven't really promoted any idea, just a fair and objective look at the facts that might help us arrive at the best ideas. That and addressing anti-gun control (or pro) comments that don't make as much sense as those posting those comments seem to think.

Do you think double posting those kinds of comments changes anything?

Old 03-29-2018, 12:03 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,816 times
Quote:
Another way to accomplish what you recommend and/or additionally is to stop giving copy cat yahoos more acts to copy...

Also to be fair, just what are you suggesting we do with regard to the media covering these mass shootings. You and others like to call it "media frenzy," but how is the media supposed to deal with incidents of school shootings, or something like the Route 99 concert shooting? We're not supposed to hear about this sort of thing? People affected (I had friends who were at that concert) are not supposed to tune in and expect all the news that can be had about these tragedies?

I always get a kick about how quickly we raise the point about our rights with respect to owning guns, not to be infringed upon, but all sorts of interesting notions about how we can and should control the media. Not sure I get that one either...
You are right. Media coverage is First Amendment. You asked "What can we do?" We as a populace can choose NOT to glorify or sensationalize these acts. It would have to be a voluntary act not to contribute to the sensationalism. Very simply, "Kids were killed today in a school shooting." That's all the coverage it gets. No names, no places, no numbers to beat, etc... I think we should put together a panel to study the facts. We have a system (Youtube and sponsors of network news) that is driven by views or clicks. Those views or clicks generate income for the person broadcasting the information. As long as someone is willing to take that money or seek that fame, we will have people committing mass murder to get into the news. Our problem is societal.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
You are right. Media coverage is First Amendment. You asked "What can we do?" We as a populace can choose NOT to glorify or sensationalize these acts. It would have to be a voluntary act not to contribute to the sensationalism. Very simply, "Kids were killed today in a school shooting." That's all the coverage it gets. No names, no places, no numbers to beat, etc... I think we should put together a panel to study the facts. We have a system (Youtube and sponsors of network news) that is driven by views or clicks. Those views or clicks generate income for the person broadcasting the information. As long as someone is willing to take that money or seek that fame, we will have people committing mass murder to get into the news. Our problem is societal.
Wish I could stay and spend more productive time solving our problems, but I must sign off now...

Doubt we can expect any such voluntary acts even if they were going to make a difference, but in our society I don't think media coverage is really the problem some people believe it to be. We've got all sorts of movies, video games, YouTube and worst of all, parents behaving badly and/or mental illness that needs no media help to find ways to act crazy. Examine what drove these people to act crazy and more often than not, if not always, there is something a good deal more going on than simply seeing media coverage and deciding to copy "as seen on TV." Much more, or we'd have a much bigger problem with mass murderers than we do.

I also expect "full coverage" without having to wonder who decided what I am supposed to know or hear. A free press needs to be exactly that, or we are looking for more trouble than we hope to prevent.

My bigger problem right now is waiting for me to sign off the computer, so until next time! Here's to another gun-incident free day.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Germany had 3 mass shootings in the mid 2000's and they responded by tightened up its gun control polices in response. Since 2010 they have only had 1 mass shooting. We can argue the effectiveness of the laws put in place but what is important was that the German government and people acted on the problem in order to protect its people.

America has 300+ mass shootings year after year after year and does nothing to stop it. Americans either don't really care about the lives of their fellow citizens or are so mentally fixated on guns they are willing to accept the unwilling sacrifice of many innocent people, children included.

The fact that we had 28 children mass murdered in their school and we didn't do one thing in response to ensure it doesn't happen again speaks volumes.
Quote:
Do you have a point related to the topic at hand?
You brought up Germany. You made them part of the discussion.

And there are plenty of points being made - the point that liberals really don't give a **** about human life since liberals are the ones who support importing Islam (an ideology that throws gays off rooftops and stones adulterers), assisted SUICIDE and ABORTION.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
YES. Thank you. This is one of the most IMPORTANT problems: MEDIA CONTAGION.

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releas...contagion.aspx

Old 03-29-2018, 12:28 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,816 times
Quote:
Wish I could stay and spend more productive time solving our problems, but I must sign off now...

Doubt we can expect any such voluntary acts even if they were going to make a difference, but in our society I don't think media coverage is really the problem some people believe it to be. We've got all sorts of movies, video games, YouTube and worst of all, parents behaving badly and/or mental illness that needs no media help to find ways to act crazy. Examine what drove these people to act crazy and more often than not, if not always, there is something a good deal more going on than simply seeing media coverage and deciding to copy "as seen on TV." Much more, or we'd have a much bigger problem with mass murderers than we do.

I also expect "full coverage" without having to wonder who decided what I am supposed to know or hear. A free press needs to be exactly that, or we are looking for more trouble than we hope to prevent.

My bigger problem right now is waiting for me to sign off the computer, so until next time! Here's to another gun-incident free day.
Thanks for batting ideas back and forth to solve problems. I feel like I have a better sense of what direction you were wanting to head into now.

I am a bit of an amateur anthropologist. I too would feel at a loss without full details. I do believe that in the teen versions of these shootings that recognition does play a large part; especially Parkland.

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies