Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 12:03 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
When I was pre-teen, there was a out-break of teenage suicide in my town.
The two most common ways were car-in-the-closed-garage or, if you didn't have a car or a garage, taking something (alcohol or drug) to the point of passing out while laying on the rail road tracks. My uncle was a police man at the time. He had a lot of nightmares from wandering up and down the tracks picking up pieces.

If you plan to commit suicide, please don't. Get help. In the case of euthanasia (terminal illness), then at least pick a non-messy way.
Wish I had thought to comment as you just did instead or as well. Thanks. I wonder how many teen suicides are by way of the manner you describe and/or by use of a gun. Right again. On to other more productive and happier things to do now, really. Cheers! Really...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 12:09 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Aren't you the one who just spouted, "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE IF/WHEN/HOW a person decides to kill themselves, if they deem it prudent???"

Right! Time to sign off now. Got a life still to live...
I remember reading somewhere, that most women won't use a gun. They prefer non-violent methods like pills.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:10 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Ah, people falling over themselves to avoid the obvious facts: We have a mass shooting problem because we have too many guns. Period.

You either think the issue is important enough to limit gun ownership, or you don't.

The reason why you think it isn't important enough tends to vary between "the big bad government is coming after me" to "the big bad minority/liberal man is coming to rob me".

Thousands of words and back and forth simply to deny this obvious truth. If we didn't have 300 million guns in the country, someone looking to get their hands on a gun would have a harder time getting one. The disingenuous dog and pony show is pathetic.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:17 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Hopefully my comment #4296 answers your question. Let me know if not...
How that word salad could answer any question is beyond me. It reads like a Nostradamus quatrain, says nothing, but may be perceived as everything.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:25 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Ah, people falling over themselves to avoid the obvious facts: We have a mass shooting problem because we have too many guns. Period.

You either think the issue is important enough to limit gun ownership, or you don't.

The reason why you think it isn't important enough tends to vary between "the big bad government is coming after me" to "the big bad minority/liberal man is coming to rob me".

Thousands of words and back and forth simply to deny this obvious truth. If we didn't have 300 million guns in the country, someone looking to get their hands on a gun would have a harder time getting one. The disingenuous dog and pony show is pathetic.
How many is too many? If we had half the guns would we have fewer shootings? My guns are doing a poor job because they haven't shot anything outside of paper since the 1980s and that was just my deer hunting rifle.

I don't think it is important enough to infringe upon my rights.

I don't need to give you a reason.

Some people are saying we have double that amount of guns. https://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2017/...ms-in-america/

Old 03-30-2018, 12:32 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
How many is too many? If we had half the guns would we have fewer shootings? My guns are doing a poor job because they haven't shot anything outside of paper since the 1980s and that was just my deer hunting rifle.

Some people are saying we have double that amount of guns. https://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2017/...ms-in-america/
That's the problem. Their solutions never address the real problem, and never focus on the PERPETRATOR. Instead they focus on the law abiding, and punish them for the actions of criminals who are already breaking many laws. The real goal is to not reduce violence, but to take away guns from the law abiding to further control them, and make them further dependent on government.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:46 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That's the problem. Their solutions never address the real problem, and never focus on the PERPETRATOR. Instead they focus on the law abiding, and punish them for the actions of criminals who are already breaking many laws. The real goal is to not reduce violence, but to take away guns from the law abiding to further control them, and make them further dependent on government.
Ok and how do you propose we fix the "PERPETRATOR" problem?

Old 03-30-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

There you have it. It isn't important enough. And, you are a tough guy as well with your lack of reason.

And a lot of gun nuts respond to it seeming like it WILL become important enough for the populace (hence the hysterical attacks on protestors) by saying "we'll shoot you/start a civil war" etc.

Nice folks, these gun nuts. America should be proud we have a preponderance of irrational man-children.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No, the purpose is to reduce the number of guns which directly effects their availability to murderous lunatics.

I know this is difficult to irrational people to comprehend, but you'd hope adults can at least try. I couldn't give to ****s if you sit in your house stroking your arsenal of weapons with the fantasies of manly-hood and power they create for you. What I do care about is that your obsession with them which has created a public policy that ends with a country awash in guns that are far too easy for people with murderous intent to access.

The gun nut answer is to lock up anyone who shows an inkling of mental illness. So, your right to own a gun precedes the rights of everyone else to live free from imprisonment. Great.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:38 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There you have it. It isn't important enough. And, you are a tough guy as well with your lack of reason.

And a lot of gun nuts respond to it seeming like it WILL become important enough for the populace (hence the hysterical attacks on protestors) by saying "we'll shoot you/start a civil war" etc.

Nice folks, these gun nuts. America should be proud we have a preponderance of irrational man-children.
I'm a libertarian constitutionalist. Basically, I'm not full Libertarian because I don't believe the market should drive everything. The federal government should have a small hand is doing the 18 things as defined in Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution.

The federal government outlawed the sale and consumption of alcohol by amending the Constitution. They reversed that decision by amending the Constitution again. How did they get the power to outlaw drugs? They didn't.

My sister died as a direct result of using recreational drugs that are deemed illegal by the federal government. Most people would in my situation would be for more federal drug laws or harsher penalties for dealers. That would go against my principles.

Same way for guns. While I do not want any more gun violence or violence in any form, the federal government has already infringed on my 2nd Amendment right starting back in 1934.

You can call me a tough guy despite the fact I've never been in a fight in almost 50 years. I think my reasoning is pretty logical. I would never be the aggressor with a weapon in any altercation but I am fully trained and prepared to return aggression 10 fold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies