Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 05:10 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You have no facts that the number of gun owners have decreased except for some phone polls that most gun owners would probably not answer. Even the last CDC study said that guns prevented crime.
Of course guns has some crime preventing aspect. Also has a crime causing aspect.

You have no reason to believe that owning multiple guns however does anything to prevent crime.

And there is reasonable evidence that gun ownership has decreased. And you have no way of refuting that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 05:28 PM

1,081 posts, read 549,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Of course guns has some crime preventing aspect. Also has a crime causing aspect.
You have no reason to believe that owning multiple guns however does anything to prevent crime...
Can you explain why you went to "owning multiple guns" in your logic?

Why are you concerned about the number of firearms that someone owns?

I wonder at your familiarity with firearms and their purposes. You need a different firearm depending on if you are defending you home, hunting turkey, hunting rabbit, hunting squirrel, hunting elk, hunting white tail, carrying concealed, or protecting yourself from lions and bears in the woods (yes, some people have to contend with getting attacked by wildlife while in their own yard or on a nature walk.)

You do understand firearms come in a variety of configurations and calibers based upon purpose?

Old 03-31-2018, 05:32 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
....You have no reason to believe that owning multiple guns however does anything to prevent crime. ......
DON'T I?

I am a multiple instrument of weapons in name of service to the State. If I don't take him out in hand to hand then I will take him out in what device is available to me, be it physical force, guns, whatever.

That is the way I am trained, that is what I am. I am the full combat suite and that is what I believe.

Long ago in JROTC, like they said to me, "Sgt. Ounce, what are you?"

"I am the best, Sir."

"How do you know you are the best?"

"Because I believe it."

"Good. Very Good. You can't get anywhere in life if you don't believe in yourself."

Old 03-31-2018, 05:42 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
You are assuming causality when none has been proven.

The counter is that the number of gun owners has in fact decreased.

A large number of owners with a number of guns does not do anything for preventing crime.
Then why are gun crimes increasing? Based on the highlight above, we should expect a decrease. When guns were more prevalent, we had significantly lower rates of mass shootings, didn't we?

Old 03-31-2018, 05:45 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Can you explain why you went to "owning multiple guns" in your logic?

Why are you concerned about the number of firearms that someone owns?

I wonder at your familiarity with firearms and their purposes. You need a different firearm depending on if you are defending you home, hunting turkey, hunting rabbit, hunting squirrel, hunting elk, hunting white tail, carrying concealed, or protecting yourself from lions and bears in the woods (yes, some people have to contend with getting attacked by wildlife while in their own yard or on a nature walk.)

You do understand firearms come in a variety of configurations and calibers based upon purpose?
Please. Let us not get absurd. I am well aware why some have multiple guns and it is reasonably common...in fact 29% of the gun owners claim more than 5.

However the number of times when having two guns prevents two crimes is going to be vanishingly small.

So vast numbers of new guns with decreasing ownership numbers says the guns per individual gun owner is going up not the number of gun owners.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:01 PM

1,081 posts, read 549,269 times
Quote:
Please. Let us not get absurd. I am well aware why some have multiple guns and it is reasonably common...in fact 29% of the gun owners claim more than 5.

However the number of times when having two guns prevents two crimes is going to be vanishingly small.

So vast numbers of new guns with decreasing ownership numbers says the guns per individual gun owner is going up not the number of gun owners.
I was just trying to understand where you were going with the multiple firearm logic. I didn't mean to offend. I have run across people who are not knowledgeable at all about firearms.

If I follow where you are going:
You only have the chance to prevent a crime per unique firearm OWNER per crime committed. Depending on the number of firearms owners in the area of the crime, you have a statistic chance of that crime being interrupted by a firearm owner.

What we would want to look at to determine the number of new firearm owners are the people age 18 and above that apply for a background check that have not previously filed for a background check. (If I want to purchase a firearm, I have to go through a background check even if I had one previously.)

Old 04-01-2018, 03:13 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, you were referring to those harmed by guns.

Now, the question could be, how many were saved by them?

That figure is probably unknown but it is probably a very true situation.

As far as "Is there a fire prevention system that uses petrol?" I don't know but given that so much of modern life comes out of the petrochemical industry, I wouldn't be surprised to find something in fire prevention, fire fighting that comes from a refinery.
Seriously is this a joke!? Well if there are 26 gun deaths here and 11'000 or so there I think the answer is somewhat obvious no!!? Your gun laws kil they don't save, you do the maths.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:21 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
This one compares "white" crime. It adjusts the homicide rate to race only.

http://igeek.com/w/U.S._vs_U.K._-_Crime/Murder

Whites in the UK commit more homicides than whites in the US. If we take out inner-city crime, we actually have statistically low homicide rates. It does not address our mass-shooting at schools (and churches) but it does show that we have an inner-city cultural issue that contributes to the majority of our gun violence.

In a country where firearms are banned, they switch to knives and clubs. Does the UK have a unique knife violence culture? (26,370 knife crimes compared to our 1,500 and we have 5x their population.)

@Ivmensch
Should the UK ban knives of all types? Should knife drawers be inspected regularly to insure no knives have gone missing? Registration of all knives and annual inspections? If you lose a knife, it could affect everyone. Would we have every right to restrict your knives?
Youve just made that up!!! lol, have a look at direct comparisons below:-

United Kingdom vs United States Crime Stats Compared

Its not even close! The US has EIGHTEEN times the murder rate and an INCREDIBLE 699 times more death by gun SIX HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE times! That's a mind blowing shameful 699 times - the difference is phenominal! And yet we are supposed to believe guns save lives loool! 699! Bloody unbelievable!

Old 04-01-2018, 04:26 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
How do guns CAUSE crime?

Quote:
You have no reason to believe that owning multiple guns however does anything to prevent crime.

And there is reasonable evidence that gun ownership has decreased. And you have no way of refuting that.
Gun ownership has increase exponentially over the last ten years, especially first time buyers and women. Look at gun sales.

I get it, you don't like guns. Then don't buy them, but don't take my right to own them away. Well you can't do that anyway, so.........

Old 04-01-2018, 04:30 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Seriously is this a joke!? Well if there are 26 gun deaths here and 11'000 or so there I think the answer is somewhat obvious no!!? Your gun laws kil they don't save, you do the maths.
26 gun deaths? Do you have documentation? How many other kinds of homicides? I would not want to be unarmed in the UK with the hordes of militant Muslims you are importing daily. Have fun with that.

Guns save the lives of the innocent every day in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies