Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 10:31 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
But this is what they do - habitual liars. Then they wonder why we conservatives will never listen to a word that comes out of their mouths. SMH
I rest my case, though this over the top comment not as humorous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The only point at which gun control should even be considered is when all other options have been considered, tried, and exhausted.
Not true. Wrong.

The first thing to do is figure out cause, regardless what has been tried anywhere else, anytime before. Identify the root cause (as they also say about solving business problems) and only then can you begin to determine the best way to address and/or correct the problem. This includes proper understanding of what also aggravates or increases the incident of a problem as well.

Perhaps a bit like tackling problems of disease. Regardless past trials and errors, misdiagnose the cause and cures are not likely. Proper diagnosis leads to better ways to apply remedies. Also of course, more than one remedy may be part of the cure. Take skin cancer, for example. Took a while to understand the Sun's rays were causing skin cancer.

The Sun doesn't cause cancer however. It's people exposing themselves to the Sun's rays that cause cancer! Remedy? Probably some surgery, AND no more exposure to the Sun's rays...

All to say that all this evaluation and comparison of statistics, cause/effect analysis, is for the purpose of properly identifying cause and that which aggravates the problem. Some trial and error might be part of that process too, of course. Can't say there should be anything wrong with the effort in any case.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
No assuming. It's a matter of fact. Most of the people screaming about "gun control/gun confiscation/gun bans" are of the liberal persuasion. (And I don't consider Bret Stephens or Justice Stevens "conservative" nor will I ever, so please save your typing on it..)

Most people arguing for assisted suicide and abortion are also of the liberal persuasion.

THEREFORE: a reasonable person can reasonably conclude that the arguments about being concerned about suicide(death) are a load of lies.
Mostly correct, but where your logic also seems off base is with regard to the respect for human life and respect for life in general part...

I am a liberal by just about any measure, though I don't see any real chance that gun control in America will prevent or reduce gun deaths to anyone's satisfaction, and I also respect the 2A and those who use weapons in responsible safe manner. I am also for allowing assisted suicide, like Oregon's "Death with Dignity Act." I have my reasons, and they are certainly NOT because I don't respect and value life! I am also pro-Choice, because I don't think anyone should make that decision for a woman, especially since the woman may not share the same beliefs or faith that others might wish to impose on her. The right or wrong of those beliefs is a private matter and should remain private. I'm not going to argue that right or wrong for a woman considering an abortion, because it isn't my place. It's hers! Regardless those who don't share her beliefs. Not their business either.

None of what I am explaining here should mean to anyone I don't respect and value life. Nothing could be further from the truth, but people like you love using that sort of rhetoric, because that's an easier argument to make for you and yours than being fair, reasoned and truthful. Maybe that assessment is also not fair, but sometimes I really don't know what to make of these ridiculous characterizations so typical of conservative perspective. Too typical and altogether wrong...

Old 03-30-2018, 11:09 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Your comments and all your finger pointing toward one side or the other always seems a little "over the top" to me, but humorous in a way, because if my "side" could be allowed better access to assisted suicides, there just might be less in the way of suicides by way of self-inflicted gun fire. The reduction of those numbers would be welcomed by your "side." Would they not?
I'm all for assisted suicide but if I am able to take myself out, it will be with a gun. I'll have to stage it to look like a gun cleaning accident so it won't count as a homicide. If I'm physically unable, I've told my wife to smother me with a pillow.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I'm all for assisted suicide but if I am able to take myself out, it will be with a gun. I'll have to stage it to look like a gun cleaning accident so it won't count as a homicide. If I'm physically unable, I've told my wife to smother me with a pillow.
Cheary subject...

Seems to me there are more than a few factors to consider. Yet another personal matter that doesn't seem the business of others, but for example there is a) first one's ability to commit suicide in the first place, by any means. Lots of this "dignity of life" issue has to do with capacity, to think, speak and eat, for example, let alone pull the trigger of a gun. Watching my father suffer from Alzheimers years before dying brought this issue into clearer focus, and he was all for assisted suicide! Still he/we had no such option, b) the difference between physician assisted suicide and the alternatives for loved ones. You might be good at making it look like an accident, but maybe not, and then there is who finds you, the mess. Hard to put that on someone else if you ask me, c) the ability for people to actually pull that trigger rather than get help, professional help, not only to deal with depression for example, but all that long-term pain that some people are faced with dealing with before they finally decide they can't take it anymore and there is no point in taking it anymore, but now..., they are in a hospital bed and not going anywhere if someone doesn't let them, help them. d) What did your wife say? She thinking she can smother you with a pillow? Now that's a woman! Might consider why she feels able if I were you, e) There are other factors, but you get the picture and I think best to sign off now and focus on living instead of dying...

Old 03-30-2018, 11:46 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Your comments and all your finger pointing toward one side or the other always seems a little "over the top" to me, but humorous in a way, because if my "side" could be allowed better access to assisted suicides, there just might be less in the way of suicides by way of self-inflicted gun fire. The reduction of those numbers would be welcomed by your "side." Would they not?
You argue for assisted suicide, then carry on about how you have a problem with suicide (when implemented at a person's own will, with a FIREARM).

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE IF/WHEN/HOW a person decides to kill themselves, if they deem it prudent???

Old 03-30-2018, 11:47 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
You see, I just can't fathom this.

Yes, I have thought about suicide, and SERIOUSLY shotgun/firearm to my dome is like the LAST way I would want to do it.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
You argue for assisted suicide, then carry on about how you have a problem with suicide (when implemented at a person's own will, with a FIREARM).

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE IF/WHEN/HOW a person decides to kill themselves, if they deem it prudent???
Maybe it's a reading comprehension issue or maybe I can't write too well, but how is it I can write this, "Yet another personal matter that doesn't seem the business of others," and you can write this comment above?

I simply noted some of the considerations, complications, that I have come to think about and that others might want to consider as well. Otherwise, ultimately, again it's "to each his own" as far as I'm concerned! Just ought to include the option of choosing assisted suicide as well if you ask me.

Reread my comment if you REALLY want to understand how/why suicide can be a challenge even when sometimes a person decides to kill themselves. Sometimes they are not able no matter how much they want to!!!

Get it?

Old 03-30-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Yes, I have thought about suicide, and SERIOUSLY shotgun/firearm to my dome is like the LAST way I would want to do it.
Aren't you the one who just spouted, "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE IF/WHEN/HOW a person decides to kill themselves, if they deem it prudent???"

Right! Time to sign off now. Got a life still to live...

Old 03-30-2018, 11:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 549,116 times
Quote:

When I was pre-teen, there was a out-break of teenage suicide in my town.
The two most common ways were car-in-the-closed-garage or, if you didn't have a car or a garage, taking something (alcohol or drug) to the point of passing out while laying on the rail road tracks. My uncle was a police man at the time. He had a lot of nightmares from wandering up and down the tracks picking up pieces.

If you plan to commit suicide, please don't. Get help. In the case of euthanasia (terminal illness), then at least pick a non-messy way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies