Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 09:51 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
No they are not, there has been no rise in armed crime, arned police have actually seen a decrease in call outs, and homicide is at a very low rate around 130 a year. I don't call 30 firearms murders a year in England and Wales a problem, and gun violence is not on the increase.

Gangs have used knives throghout London's history, and we have had violent yardie and black gangs for a long time now, and our police have dealt with them in the past.

Furthermore London is a city being gentrified and is more similar to NYC than other US Cities and I don't see NYC experiencing massive problems at the moment, whilst London has started succesfully dealing with the problem with a new gan unit in Islington having been very succesful, and which is being rolled out to other boroughs, and there is a violemnce reduction strtegy in place, and the city has sought advice from the succesful Violence Reduction Unit in Scotland.
The majority don't report muggings in the UK. They are not allowed to protect themselves and know nothing will be done anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 10:11 AM

639 posts, read 376,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...cs-maps-charts

some interesting stats and graphs regarding gun violence in America vs other places.

IMO we need stricter gun laws. What we have right now isn't working and the amount of gun deaths is staggering.
I have no qualms with "stricter gun laws" as in background checks, etc.. Prior felons, etc should not be granted the right to fire arms.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:19 AM

1,081 posts, read 549,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Great post (as usual with you) and with plenty of links to back things up. I don't know why (some) people in the US seem to think they are 'different' to the rest of the human population so that they have a 'different' kind of criminal or gang member, its weird.
easthome: I posted an interview further back with a police officer from the UK (21 year veteran of your police force.) It was his opinion that there is a difference between the UK and the US. He states that organized crime (including gangs) are different in the UK than the US. He also states that the US style of gang culture (meaning glorification of the gun) is now starting to show up in the UK in places like Hackney where he serves.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:29 AM

1,081 posts, read 549,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Tell the hundreds of folks that were shot at a concert in Las Vegas that they were VERY safe that day.
Route 91 concert was a one off event; Their loss of life and what they went through was tragic, however it is statistically insignificant in our current discussion.
It would be like me pointing the blizzard conditions outside and proclaiming global warming does not exist because it has snowed 8 inches in the last two days during the month of April.

Chicago Tracking:
https://heyjackass.com/

Old 04-15-2018, 11:20 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Outside of suicide by people using a gun, where does the vast majority of violent crime happen in the U.S.?
I fail to see what difference it makes?

Old 04-15-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
A friend who works for 3M just came back from 2 years in London. He says the gangs run the streets. There are hundreds of daily muggings, most of which go unreported because the gangs are armed and the victims have no way to resist. Unlike the US where muggings usually occur at night, he says they happen day and night in London. According to him, it is a way of life there.
You are so obviously lying!

Old 04-15-2018, 11:22 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
It makes a lot of difference. The people committing violent crime using a gun are mainly in the inner city black communities. Stay out of there.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The majority don't report muggings in the UK. They are not allowed to protect themselves and know nothing will be done anyway.
lol, you are just completely making stuff up! And making yourself look rather stupid in doing it, go again and look at BNW's posts (oh and the links he is considerate to include with them), you might learn something.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:27 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
This is a giant shortcoming in your overall logic on this topic, of which you have posted on extensively here, offering little more than false equivalencies, emotional outflow, and a refusal to even try to understand the many facets that comprise American gun violence. And being as you're a foreigner anyway, it seems pointless to engage your desire to denigrate our country and citizenry at every opportunity. Which is why I certainly won't.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
easthome: I posted an interview further back with a police officer from the UK (21 year veteran of your police force.) It was his opinion that there is a difference between the UK and the US. He states that organized crime (including gangs) are different in the UK than the US. He also states that the US style of gang culture (meaning glorification of the gun) is now starting to show up in the UK in places like Hackney where he serves.
Its rubbish, are you seriously trying to suggest that Americans are 'different' human beings to Britons? Or is it just perhaps that the British authorities have better control of crime? Helped enormously by the gun laws!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies