Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 08:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Borders in places like that can be nebulous. Even the local residents tend not to respect them (borders often intersect tribal regions), and terrorists certainly don't respect them.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with official State Department releases detailing a five-year plan for U.S. involvement in a specific country.
Or are you suggesting that the State Department doesn't know one country from the other either?

Wouldn't surprise me, but still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Actually, Niger is getting the headlines, but it’s a small part of what the Pentagon is doing in Africa.

Even when my brother was serving, his unit was sent to African countries to do "ops". We have always been there (africa).

I am not an expert and I assume there is a reason why we are there. I don't know why we were there in the first place, so I won't comment on it.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As I said before, that area of the world is covered by 3rd Special Forces Group, and I get it that their primary mission is to train local forces in conventional and unconventional warfare. Embedding with the local population and training them is the bread and butter of Green Berets (winning hearts and minds). So I don't have a problem with that scope and concept in general.

However, they have absolutely zero business going on wild goose chases for the sake of ego. These guys were out on a previous mission for over 24 hours and had no backup support (another 12 man Green Beret team couldn't join them, and trust me, that would have made a HUGE difference as one US Green Beret is worth more than 20-30 conventional local soldiers in terms of firepower and know how).

I guarantee some local gung ho commander saw faulty intel about a high value target and his ego overcame the safety of his own men. I hope he can sleep well at night.
Sounds like a repeat of what occurred in Vietnam.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:55 AM

Also, if you look at the last few Presidents, it doesn’t really matter who is in office, the country is always fighting someone. If you only blame ONE president, (not the others), yeah, you are a political hack and an idiot.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
TruBama foreign policy......

Old 10-27-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Also, if you look at the last few Presidents, it doesn’t really matter who is in office, the country is always fighting someone.
Then maybe we should try something different, like staying out of conflicts that are no threat to us.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Then maybe we should try something different, like staying out of conflicts that are no threat to us.
It sounds nice, good luck with that. I doubt it is going to happen anytime soon.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It sounds nice, good luck with that. I doubt it is going to happen anytime soon.
Oh, I do not disagree, maybe if the military had more say in which conflicts THEY have to fight things would change, yes, Not gonna happen. Stuck with it, for now.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:32 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Which has absolutely nothing to do with official State Department releases detailing a five-year plan for U.S. involvement in a specific country.
Or are you suggesting that the State Department doesn't know one country from the other either?

Wouldn't surprise me, but still...
I'm suggesting that "ground truth" isn't as neat as you'd like it to be.

Of course, that should be an in-going consideration of which Congress cannot claim ignorance. Anyone in the DoD or State Department could tell them in a five-minute briefing that terrorists operating in Nigeria are moving in from Mali, Chad, and Niger, and must be "followed to their lairs" as necessary with agreement from those governments.

And if they don't like that prospect, then don't go at all...because an ROE that stops US forces at the borders is definitely going to get Americans killed.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:47 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"the Department of State and the Department of Defense to develop jointly and submit to Congress a five-year strategy to help Nigeria, members of the Multinational Joint Task Force to Combat Boko Haram, and relevant partners to counter Boko Haram, and to assist Nigeria ..."

Fun fact: Niger and Nigeria are not the same country.

A funner fact, the continuation of a sentence:

"and relevant partners to counter Boko Haram, and to assist Nigeria and its neighbors to address legitimate grievances of vulnerable populations in areas affected by Boko Haram"

Comprehension, good for the body...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies