Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Sentence
Fair 12 29.27%
Not Strict Enough 29 70.73%
Too Strict 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 09:31 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I don't see him getting a pardon unless someone like Obama is elected again. He cost his fellow soldiers their lives after all...
I changed that to "parole."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 09:33 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post

Let's not forget 6 soldiers died looking for this man.
As well as the journalist who uncovered the story.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:38 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
A trial could also uncover what was going on in his unit..a gag order was issued to all the troops about him going AWOL.
He was even promoted twice despite going AWOL. And the Military won't release any of the non classified documents from the investigation to the press. He had mental issues and the military issued a waiver so he could enlist.

Lots of dirt would have come out during a court martial hearing.
There were several from his company on the networks telling all so I don;t believe a gag order was obeyed if there was one. He was entitled to his promotions lacking a conviction and yes he definitely had mental issues prior to his enlistment.

The military already released his interviews, I doubt they will release more prior to an agreement. One of his lawyers indicated that Trumps statements would deny him a fair trial, I guess that went by the wayside.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:40 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I don't see him getting a pardon unless someone like Obama is elected again. He cost his fellow soldiers their lives after all...
How many died looking for him if any is still open for debate.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:42 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I can only speculate here, he has to plead guilty in exchange for an agreement by the prosecutor to drop one or more charges, reduce a charge to a less serious offense, etc.

All of those units that were running extra patrols, being derailed from their actual missions, all of the staff briefings, status reports, the extra logistical requirements to resupply for the fuel, food, batteries expended in the search have earned him a very high measure of... well.. hatred.

He probably would get kicked out, and I doubt he'd spend any time in prison.
Life would be good enough I suppose. All hard time, he deserves it.

The 6 U.S. Soldiers Who Died Searching for Bowe Bergdahl

Quote:
Chances are you haven’t heard of the six soldiers who died hunting for him after he went missing, according to military officials. Now that Bergdahl has been sprung—in exchange for five senior Taliban officials, who had been imprisoned at Guantanamo—soldiers who served with Bergdahl are grumbling that he deserted and shouldn’t be hailed as a hero, especially given the resulting cost in American lives.
I hope he rots and dies.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:49 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
He is pleading to take the death penalty off the table.

Still should be shot for desertion in the face of the enemy.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:53 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How many died looking for him if any is still open for debate.
It doesn't matter.

Legally, the US government can shoot a deserter on sight, but this hasn't been done since World War Two I believe.

Alternatively, you will be imprisoned and a court martial will be held. You can receive a dishonorable discharge, prison time, or execution.

Many served honorably. He didn't. His whole family is weird. (to say the least) His weirdo dad only made excuses for him. (but this is another topic)

Old 10-06-2017, 11:03 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
He needs mental health treatment. He is probably a different person today than the one who was taken captive and held prisoner. He has suffered enough.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:28 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It doesn't matter.

Legally, the US government can shoot a deserter on sight, but this hasn't been done since World War Two I believe.

Alternatively, you will be imprisoned and a court martial will be held. You can receive a dishonorable discharge, prison time, or execution.

Many served honorably. He didn't. His whole family is weird. (to say the least) His weirdo dad only made excuses for him. (but this is another topic)

The US has never shot a deserter "on sight," at least not on record, and it certainly would not be legal.

If you look at the dispositions of the tens of thousands of desertions over the last 30 years, you'll see almost none more than a year or so in prison, if that. In most cases, desertion results in "BCD and 'bye."

The serious charge here is "misbehavior before the enemy." The military takes that much more seriously than simple desertion.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:32 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
He needs mental health treatment. He is probably a different person today than the one who was taken captive and held prisoner. He has suffered enough.
Obviously you are not related to one of the soldiers who lost their lives searching for this piece of fog feces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies