Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Sentence
Fair 12 29.27%
Not Strict Enough 29 70.73%
Too Strict 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 05:11 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wanted to leave my post in 'Nam but it was too far to swim back to The World. So I became more involved with the river rats and that cured my boredom. It is difficult to remain bored during an ambush.
There is a book by Tim O’Brien called Going After Cacciato where a deserter heads for Paris, reminds me of Bergdahl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 05:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Obviously you are not related to one of the soldiers who lost their lives searching for this piece of fog feces.
Another piece of fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I've read a lot of first hand accounts of WWII, and during the Bulge there were officers who stopped a mass retreat by using their Colt .45. I've read two accounts, and since it's been a while I cant remember the authors names. It's ok if you dont beleive this, but I have read accounts. None of this has anything to do with Berghdahl, sorry to go OT
My father was present as a witness to an execution of a deserter. I can't remember the man's name but there was a book written about it, I believe.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:35 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
life for misbehaving? seems a little harsh

never saw any reputable source for this piece of fiction

Someone doesn't know the meaning of "misbehavior" within the context of the charge. Hint: There's a reason the military has considered this the more serious of the two charges and has set the punishment accordingly.

That said, like others have posted, 5 years is probably about all he'll get for, among other things, endangering the lives of his fellow soldiers who were searching for his sorry ass. A judge will be hearing his case, and he's already had statements he made suppressed.

What a sorry human being.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
He needs mental health treatment. He is probably a different person today than the one who was taken captive and held prisoner. He has suffered enough.
Have the parents,siblings,wives and kids of the people that died looking for him suffered enough? He probably does need mental health treatment which he can/should get in prison while serving a sentence of a minimum of 10 years.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It doesn't matter.

Legally, the US government can shoot a deserter on sight, but this hasn't been done since World War Two I believe.

Alternatively, you will be imprisoned and a court martial will be held. You can receive a dishonorable discharge, prison time, or execution.

Many served honorably. He didn't. His whole family is weird. (to say the least) His weirdo dad only made excuses for him. (but this is another topic)
As did the President btw.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:02 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Someone doesn't know the meaning of "misbehavior" within the context of the charge. Hint: There's a reason the military has considered this the more serious of the two charges and has set the punishment accordingly.

That said, like others have posted, 5 years is probably about all he'll get for, among other things, endangering the lives of his fellow soldiers who were searching for his sorry ass. A judge will be hearing his case, and he's already had statements he made suppressed.

What a sorry human being.
Speaking of context the only thing sorry is the fact that they accepted him in the first place since he was dismissed from the coast guard for mental issues, now they are ready to nail him to the cross. He did not belong in the military, he suffered enough at the hands of his captors.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:41 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Speaking of context the only thing sorry is the fact that they accepted him in the first place since he was dismissed from the coast guard for mental issues, now they are ready to nail him to the cross. He did not belong in the military, he suffered enough at the hands of his captors.

This is the truth. He doesn't need hard time, just pull his rank, dock him backpay, give him a dishonorable discharge, a swift kick in the ass and let this space cadet be on his way, back into anonymity, hopefully doing something that won't lead to this screwup risking other's peoples live in the process again. Bagging groceries might be an ideal safe career option for him.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:24 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,068,256 times
Quote:
He needs mental health treatment. He is probably a different person today than the one who was taken captive and held prisoner. He has suffered enough.

Suffered enough from what exactly?

Old 10-07-2017, 09:36 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Have the parents,siblings,wives and kids of the people that died looking for him suffered enough? He probably does need mental health treatment which he can/should get in prison while serving a sentence of a minimum of 10 years.
Right. I listened to a long podcast of interviews with Burgdhal and I agree with you.

For anyone interested:
https://serialpodcast.org/season-two/1/dustwun

Old 10-07-2017, 09:41 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Suffered enough from what exactly?
A captive of the Taliban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies