Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 03:46 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
lol....I laughed my ass off...because the fact..and I say fact deliberately..that many men are compensating for their feelings of being inadequate..as men..by owning a firearm..is funny. Most here think Freud was an idiot..but he hit a lot of nails right on the head.

A gun....just like a big truck..or a fancy sports car--can be a penis substitute--an all the whining and nay saying does not change the fact..that we all know people whom this is true for.

Just sayin...

***disclaimer***

I own three guns..and one penis--at the age of 66..guess which one I get a bang out of the most these days??
Okay why aren't you writing for SNL?

That last bit made me laugh out loud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 03:47 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
You think the drug smuggling from Mexico is bad, the ammo smuggling would be many, many times greater. Cartels would buy Russian ammo like Brown Bear https://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-9mm-ammo-9mm115fmjbb-500 by the shipping container load.

There is no expiration date on properly stored ammunition. See my comments above, it will be available. More expensive but available.

And some people really stocked up when it was cheap.
I posted this on another thread but the point applies here.

Assuming guns become illegal: So you have two items of almost identical weight:

A 1911 at 1.1 kilos and a kilo brick of cocaine.

A kilo of cocaine retail value on the street is about $65,000. You can also divide and subdivide cocaine to make it easier to sell off. You can form the cocaine into various shapes to make it hard to detect. You can hide the powder almost anywhere. Hell you can even swallow bags of it.

Guns on the other hand would be very very difficult to smuggle in an any large quantities since its a bulky, heavy item and can't be formed to look like anything else. You couldn't sell it at anywhere near the same price as cocaine. And while the price may also be very high once illegal, lets just say for the sake of argument you could fetch $25,000 a piece. You still have the disadvantage where you can only have one buyer for each item. You can't chop the gun up and sell pieces of it to 100 people like you can with drugs. Then you have the strong market limitations of firearms. You don't need to continually buy new guns over and over. So you wouldn't have the continuous market demand like you have with drugs.

Why would any criminal outfit want to smuggle guns when they could make way more money smuggling drugs, where there is always a willing market and its much easier to sell and dispose of.

Concerning ammo shelf live, how many gun owners store ammo in the most perfect of conditions. I would venture very few. Generally you don't wanna touch anything over 10 years of age.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:57 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post

Assuming guns become illegal: So you have two items of almost identical weight:

A 1911 at 1.1 kilos and a kilo brick of cocaine.

A kilo of cocaine retail value on the street is about $65,000. You can also divide and subdivide cocaine to make it easier to sell off. You can form the cocaine into various shapes to make it hard to detect. You can hide the powder almost anywhere. Hell you can even swallow bags of it.

Guns on the other hand would be very very difficult to smuggle in an any large quantities since its a bulky, heavy item and can't be formed to look like anything else. You couldn't sell it at anywhere near the same price as cocaine. And while the price may also be very high once illegal, lets just say for the sake of argument you could fetch $25,000 a piece. You still have the disadvantage where you can only have one buyer for each item. You can't chop the gun up and sell pieces of it to 100 people like you can with drugs. Then you have the strong market limitations of firearms. You don't need to continually buy new guns over and over. So you wouldn't have the continuous market demand like you have with drugs.

Why would any criminal outfit want to smuggle guns when they could make way more money smuggling drugs, where there is always a willing market and its much easier to sell and dispose of.

Concerning ammo shelf live, how many gun owners store ammo in the most perfect of conditions. I would venture very few. Generally you don't wanna touch anything over 10 years of age.
I'm still shooting ammo from the 1890s. First off, if worse came to worst yes, you can make gun powder. It would be dirty but more than doable. Next, guys like me, and there are a lot of them, have enough reloading equipment for 100 years of reloading. Besides the barrel an AK can be made in someone's garage.

I'm gonna make some serious money of your ridiculous idea came to fruition.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:01 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post

Answered in your other thread.

I have recently shot some .38 rounds that had a $2.99 price tag on the box. At the latest, they were 1970's rounds. They were stored in a closet which is really all you need. If you need to store them in a more harsh condition like buried in a PVC pipe, then air tight with an oxygen absorber will keep things in working order for a few decades.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:14 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm still shooting ammo from the 1890s. First off, if worse came to worst yes, you can make gun powder. It would be dirty but more than doable. Next, guys like me, and there are a lot of them, have enough reloading equipment for 100 years of reloading. Besides the barrel an AK can be made in someone's garage.

I'm gonna make some serious money of your ridiculous idea came to fruition.
If somebody is disparate enough to want to pay a fortune for dirty ammo and shoddy homemade gun. Then the question needs to be asked what do they plan on using it for. Probably something evil. Would you morally have an issue making and selling ammo to someone who plans on using it to kill their wife or a co-worker?

Assuming you lack any sense of morality, I like to think you don't. Then you should be very excited about a ban on ammunition. Why aren't you pushing for it if it would make you a pile of money?

Old 10-09-2017, 04:55 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,447,190 times
Best Silencer Available:

Walt Handelsman: Silencer | Opinion | theadvocate.com

Old 10-09-2017, 05:44 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
You do know that NRA represents millions of Americans, right? It’s an organization based on voluntary membership.

Of course you know that. Then why did you post something like this? Can’t be ignorant, can it? Or is it out of spite?

Old 10-09-2017, 07:51 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
The only thing funny about SNL these days is that its march-in-lockstep liberal dolts think we care that they think the rest of us "shouldn't own 47...anything". Yeah. I don't care.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:53 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,762,357 times
Quote:
lol....I laughed my ass off...because the fact..and I say fact deliberately..that many men are compensating for their feelings of being inadequate..as men..by owning a firearm..is funny. Most here think Freud was an idiot..but he hit a lot of nails right on the head.

A gun....just like a big truck..or a fancy sports car--can be a penis substitute--an all the whining and nay saying does not change the fact..that we all know people whom this is true for.

Just sayin...

***disclaimer***

I own three guns..and one penis--at the age of 66..guess which one I get a bang out of the most these days??
Projecting your feelings onto others...

People buy what they want to, it doesn't have to mean anything.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:27 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,447,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You do know that NRA represents millions of Americans, right? It’s an organization based on voluntary membership.

Of course you know that. Then why did you post something like this? Can’t be ignorant, can it? Or is it out of spite?
Everything we discuss, or almost, is about 'millions of Americans'.

The NRA uses hunks of money..campaign contributions, ad buys and influence to further the agenda of 'millions of Americans'..at the expense of many more millions of Americans who don't agree. The NRA is a self-aggrandizing organization that uses fear and disinformation to raise funds..to advance an agenda based on power--and has little indeed to do with the 2nd amendment.

I wonder if you got the context of the cartoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies