Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 11:05 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I plan to say Merry Christmas to every clerk the entire month of December. My iPad didn't even autosuggest Christmas after I wrote Merry so that tells you something!!
Merry Christmas

^

My Android had no problem with it.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:11 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I think the point of the OP is simply that we have a POTUS unafraid to use the traditional holiday greeting of the dominant and traditional religion that created the biggest holiday of the year in our country, without fear of offending some little nitwit.

I applaud his choice, even if I didn't vote for him. ( or HC).
The U.S. has no dominant and traditional religion. It's in the Constitution: Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

You were always free to celebrate Christmas or Satan's Birthday or the Anniversary of the iPhone, any day you want.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:29 PM

385 posts, read 205,893 times
Happy Holidays!

Old 10-14-2017, 12:17 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
I don't care. don't send cards, don't get cards, don't spend money I don't have to. Don't send gifts, don't expect any. Don't believe. I feel clean, refreshed.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:27 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
It's October

this made me laugh.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:05 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Oh please your right wingers. Give it a rest. I always said Merry Christmas. More right wing hype over nothing.....

Old 10-14-2017, 04:06 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
yeledaf that's good. i like that.

i am agnostic and i have been bummed out about the war on christmas, and there really has been a war on it in the past few years. i love christmas time. i love everything about it. i welcome "merry christmas!" from anyone and everyone.

i don't know how much trump will actually have an effect on this, but whatever. merry christmas!!! there are 72 days left!
What war on Christmas -- it starts in October.

What have you been deprived of in the last few years that makes you feel like there is a war on Christmas?

Old 10-14-2017, 04:10 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
If someone greets me with Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings I just reply, "Merry and Happy to you!" I honestly don't do it to not offend, it's just my thing and has been for most of my life.
You're a pretty respectful person, and you gave great advice in an earlier post. This one too. My cousin Kevin just says "Happy Happy!", that about covers all of the holidays throughout the year.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:21 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Obama is gone

Trump is saying Merry Christmas again!!

You will hear it

Say it to everyone this Christmas season

Together we MAGA!!

Trump: "We're saying 'Merry Christmas' again" - Story | FOX 13 Tampa Bay
I am glad you feel safe saying it again. We never stopped here, even in our heavily populated Jewish community and I don't practice Christianity. Did a few let it be known that they don't celebrate? Sure. I don't mind keeping my assumptions in check.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:22 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
And you know what? Some still will. Nothing is going to change.

I have always found this to be one of the most nothing burger grievances out there from all sides. (Oh Lord did I really use that stupid phrase?)

If you say Merry Christmas to some one and they berate you say, "Oh I'm so sorry. I wish you joy," and walk away knowing in your heart that they are a jackass.

However, if some one wishes you Happy Holidays and you get upset about some one being kind and hoping you enjoy the whole season, well, I guess that's on you.
Quoted for truth, and because I can't rep you again.

For one thing, people who want to say "Merry Christmas" never stopped. Those who don't want to won't start now, just because of Trump.

For another, Christmas is not the only religious holiday to occur in December. What's wrong with saying "Happy Holidays" if one is uncertain of the beliefs of the person to whom one is speaking? I like to greet people with words that honor their traditions, when I know what they are, but that isn't always possible. Having said that, I've never been told off for saying "Merry Christmas" to the wrong person, but should it ever happen, I like the idea of "I wish you joy," and will keep that in mind, should it ever happen.

Last of all, concerning Starbucks, which was mentioned in another post, how is a Christmas tree, which originally started as a pagan tradition, any more representative of Jesus than a red cup? I love Christmas trees as much as anyone, but I know they are not necessarily a symbol of deeply held religious faith. That gripe might be the non-existent cheese on the nothing burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies