Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:37 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times

Advertisements

Most people need jobs, which are harder to find in rural and even suburban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 07:38 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Because a lot of that media consumption is done on the go. So I would rather sit in a nice restaurant eating a good meal while surfing the Internet than I would in a cow pasture. But that’s just me. If you like small town living, who cares. I just find it strange that so many think it’s so virtuous to do so. If you don’t live in city why do you care? Could it be that city dwellers tend not to vote how you think they should? Maybe if everything wasn’t viewed through a political lens, you all could feel better about it.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:39 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I try and balance my internet consumption and am currently reading most of the Wikipedia pages on volcanoes.

So nice to not think about politics for a while.

Don't think a single politician has ever stopped a volcano.
We haven't dropped enough politicians into volcanos to determine that it's not useless to do so.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:57 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Bragging rights.

A lot of people who live in the inner core live there so they can brag about living there. (No, not all)
Yep. There are nutty people who live near Princeton, NJ that pay EXTRA to have a Princeton mailing address just for the optics of it. There are fake people everywhere, just peruse FB and other social media to see their pretend life in action.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:59 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.emarketer.com/Article/US...-Media/1015775

12 hours per day consuming media on laptop, desktop or mobile device.

https://www.emarketer.com/Article/US...-Media/1015775

8 hours is what the average person sleeps.

I think it is very interesting how people pay 10 times the price for a home in San Francisco than Wichita when a vast majority of people's lives is consuming nearly universally available media and sleeping.

When ever I am in a big city, I wonder where the excitement is as a vast majority of people are staring at a device most of the time.

Interesting the premium pay to be on the internet in Culver City or Newport Beach as opposed to Wichita or Grand Forks.
Opportunity, politics, weather, diversity are main reasons to live in SF over Wichita. Sorry.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:05 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Opportunity, politics, weather, diversity are main reasons to live in SF over Wichita. Sorry.
There's no real opportunity there for the regular person unless you want to work at starbucks or some other MW wage job. Look at all the homeless there, where are their opportunities? The weather is ok, not the best though. San Diego is better. As far as politics and diversity goes, That's why SF is a Lefty magnet, they thrive on hive mindedness and separated communities.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:09 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
There are too many meth labs in Kansas.

And too much winter!

Old 10-20-2017, 08:12 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Because a lot of that media consumption is done on the go. So I would rather sit in a nice restaurant eating a good meal while surfing the Internet than I would in a cow pasture. But that’s just me. If you like small town living, who cares. I just find it strange that so many think it’s so virtuous to do so. If you don’t live in city why do you care? Could it be that city dwellers tend not to vote how you think they should? Maybe if everything wasn’t viewed through a political lens, you all could feel better about it.
FWIW you are the first person to take this in a political direction.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:14 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Well, at least in my case, the best jobs in my field tend to be located in or around population centers. Sure it costs 30% more to live there, but the jobs pay 30% more as well and there are more of them. As long as you are in a field that is competitively paid, it is always better to make more money in a high cost of living area than it is to make less money in a low cost of living area, because COL can be largely offset by things such as online shopping where you get prices that are competing against all areas.

So, for professional well compensated jobs, in a high COL area, you pay more for housing taxes etc... but you can pay roughly the same as low COL areas for much of the rest of the products you need, leading to a net increase. Not only that, you can build up retirement savings/investments based on the higher pay and then eventually take that larger amount to a low COL area when you are ready to call it quits.

If you plan on working at McDonalds then yes, it is a pretty terrible idea to try to move to some crazy high COL city...

In math terms you are better off making 150,000 and paying 70% of it on COL needs in a high COL area than you are making 100,000 and paying 70% of it in a low COL area, the raw amount left over is higher (45000 vs 30000), the eventual home resale value is higher, leaving you with more leverage and wealth in the long term especially if later in life you retire to a lower COL area.

The most important factor is actually the ratio of COL vs increases in pay scales. Looking at COL alone is only getting half the picture.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 10-20-2017 at 08:33 AM..

Old 10-20-2017, 08:15 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Yep. There are nutty people who live near Princeton, NJ that pay EXTRA to have a Princeton mailing address just for the optics of it. There are fake people everywhere, just peruse FB and other social media to see their pretend life in action.
I tried to find, but failed, a video of an old SNL skit where there was a zipcode change in Beverly Hills and some people would no longer be 90210. It was pretty damn funny and somewhat on point. But, I couldn't find a video of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies