Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 10:20 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
If that many want recreational grass, it's a sad sign to know there are so many unhappy people who need to get high.

But then, booze is legal and many use that as a means to feel better.

And many use cannabis as a sleep aid, I challenge you to make the case it's a worse alternative than something like Ambien.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...sed-death-rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 10:58 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
[quote=burdell;50069241]And many use cannabis as a sleep aid, I challenge you to make the case it's a worse alternative than something like Ambien.

That would be more in the line of use for medicinal purposes v just getting high.

Whatever floats one boat, just seems sad that anyone would need any mood altering substance. But, be that as it may. . . hopefully those who do get high don't get behind the wheel and drive.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:00 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Whatever floats one boat, just seems sad that anyone would need any mood altering substance. But, be that as it may. . . hopefully those who do get high don't get behind the wheel and drive.
Meh, some people exercise for the endorphin rush. Others skydive for the adrenaline rush. Everyone alters their mind in some way shape or form; long as they are not hurting anyone else I don't have a problem with it.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:01 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Do you think religion is mood altering? , and if so, would you find it sad that people would need religion to feel better?

Old 11-08-2017, 11:20 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Do you think religion is mood altering? , and if so, would you find it sad that people would need religion to feel better?
I am not sure on your comparison.
Religion is not a physical substance with components you put into your body that change your bodies normal healthy functions.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I am not sure on your comparison.
Religion is not a physical substance with components you put into your body that change your bodies normal healthy functions.
Escapism/emotional issues are the link, using your logic.

Are the religious that unhappy, or wrought with emotional issues, that they need invisible friends just to cope?

Old 11-08-2017, 11:24 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
No, not for me anyway.

However, one just 'thinking' about anything is not classified as mind-altering in the same sense as with booze or drugs because those substances do effect the receptors in the brain (via the bloodstream), and in turn affect neurological functions.

Like I wrote, if one wants to smoke it, so be it - it's their brain and their choice. Just be responsible when it comes to getting behind the wheel.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
No, not for me anyway.

However, one just 'thinking' about anything is not classified as mind-altering in the same sense as with booze or drugs because those substances do effect the receptors in the brain (via the bloodstream), and in turn affect the neurological functions.

Like I wrote, if one wants to smoke it, so be it - it's their brain and their choice. Just be responsible when it comes to getting behind the wheel.
So religious belief/faith has no impact on the mind?

Old 11-08-2017, 11:29 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
The brain is a electro-chemical biological machine, basically any change of mood is going to at some level have some impact on the current chemical balance of the brain, as well as the binding of neural receptors. Why do people think those receptors are there in the first place? To allow for attachment of mind altering chemicals produced naturally by our bodies.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:32 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Quote:
No, not for me anyway.

However, one just 'thinking' about anything is not classified as mind-altering in the same sense as with booze or drugs because those substances do effect the receptors in the brain (via the bloodstream), and in turn affect neurological functions.

Yes, it is pure science. Facts. Not feelings of, or belief if it does or not effect the bodies physical function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies