Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 08:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,828,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
It should have been on Seek, Careerbuilder, etc- places where most people look for jobs these days.

Plus, it asked that applications be faxed. This isn't 1993. How many people do you know with a fax machine in their home nowadays?

It is clear to me that this tiny print ad, lost in amongst the dozens of other classifieds in a local rag, and only ran twice was only there so that they could say "look, we tried to hire Americans... but it seems many Americans don't buy the newspaper in 2017, let alone have a fax machine. Oops!"

So then they could just hire on foreign workers, which rusty had intended to do all along.
Trump Org chooses not to participate in the annual Palm Beach Job Fair. It appears Trump Org goes out of its way to hire cheaper foreign labor than US labor and does so in spite of capitalizing on the election and doubling me,bears hip fees. They knew there would be no shortage of very wealthy people from all over the world willing to pay more to be a member of the Trump Org inner circle.

That you imply the low wage worker has 10 kids says more about you than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 08:24 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,877,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump Org chooses not to participate in the annual Palm Beach Job Fair. It appears Trump Org goes out of its way to hire cheaper foreign labor than US labor and does so in spite of capitalizing on the election and doubling me,bears hip fees. They knew there would be no shortage of very wealthy people from all over the world willing to pay more to be a member of the Trump Org inner circle.

That you imply the low wage worker has 10 kids says more about you than anything else.
Also remember, an employer does not have to make any 401k contributions for foreign temporary workers, nor do they have to provide them with Health insurance (although the employee is required to purchase it if it isn't provided). So, there are cost savings all around for Trump.

When did I imply the low wage worker has 10 kids? I never said or thought that?

Old 11-05-2017, 08:24 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,568,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

Actually that SHOULD be their take home pay if taxes are high. I make a similar wage myself and take home $550 after taxes, benefits and payments into retirement. If anything, the work is less than 30 hours a week since I work 35.

I work 45 a week and my take home is around $460 a week now that's not a lot for most here but we don't live in debt like 90% or more do on this forum. That's' not counting what my wife makes. Everything we have is paid for. My point is that I'm betting these workers pay rent. car payments, etc. And are in deep debt so that $418.00 a week isn't a lot.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:29 AM

63,062 posts, read 29,256,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh PUHLEEZE.

I've seen PLENTY of people here complaining about H-1B and other worker visas.

Of course, when it's obvious that workers were brought in on visas to undercut the American worker. It's rampant in the IT industry.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:36 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,955,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I work 45 a week and my take home is around $460 a week now that's not a lot for most here but we don't live in debt like 90% or more do on this forum. That's' not counting what my wife makes. Everything we have is paid for. My point is that I'm betting these workers pay rent. car payments, etc. And are in deep debt so that $418.00 a week isn't a lot.
I'm somewhat in debt right now but not too bad. I do agree that the problem is they have rent, car payments, food, etc. though it isn't exactly the company's problem for what is spent. That said, a resort making bank like Mar-A-Largo does offering peanuts to employees is why we have as much resentment to the "job creators" as we do in America.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:37 AM

20,192 posts, read 9,092,439 times
I live in a resort location, businesses hire these workers every year. They are in the US for 4 months, they can only work 3 months of their 4 month stay. They bring them here because they can't find Americans to work in restaurants or other service jobs. Ever been put on a waiting list for a table at a restaurant and then when you were seated see a half dozen empty tables? They don't have enough waiters is why.

The sixty-four foreign dishwashers, cooks, cleaners, and gardeners that Mar-a-Lago is expected to employ this year will be paid per hour roughly what they were paid last year. (The Palm Beach Post reported that the range is around ten to thirteen dollars an hour.)

Last edited by skeddy; 11-05-2017 at 09:17 AM..

Old 11-05-2017, 08:39 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,955,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Of course, when it's obvious that workers were brought in on visas to undercut the American worker. It's rampant in the IT industry.
It looks obvious here because it was released in a similar way to the ones derided for IT companies intentionally seeking H1-B holders...

Old 11-05-2017, 09:42 AM

47,020 posts, read 26,088,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Oh. Why would you think that?
Well, I seem to remember it being the argument against raising the minimum wage - that a job is worth what the operators in the market agree to. Seems that is quite the negotiable stance.

Quote:
Oh. How much should one be paid for setting tables or taking orders and running food to a table?
If you subscribe to the idea that market mechanisms dictate compensation, the one answer provided by the market is: "More than Mar-a-Lago offered." The transaction was turned down, and that's how the invisible hand operates - if you want people to take that job, you'll have to offer more. Which is, of course, anathema to current conservative thinking. Attracting workers through attractive wages? Nah, let's import some Eastern Europeans who'll wotk for less and who can be sent home if they get smart about hours and conditions.

Quote:
Oh. Like the morons who "graduate" from DeVry think that they can garner a salary of a PM...when all they are qualified to do is first tier HD? "Is your computer turned on"?
Complaining about bogus universities is a bold move from Trump supporter, or is Trump U already assigned to the Memory Hole?

Old 11-05-2017, 02:08 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,352,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yet you won't say the same about Trump.

H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y

Old 11-05-2017, 04:03 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,557,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Busted.

Hahahahahaha.

So Mar Largo firsted advertises for local workers to fill seasonal jobs. Can't get them. So then hires LEGAL immigrants to fill these positions.

What is wrong with this?

You guys are really grasping for straws these days.
Advertises in a tiny, tiny ad, hidden deep in the paper, with no phone # or email address, only a fax # (people who don't have jobs don't generally have access to fax machines). And how do you know that even if American workers found the ad they didn't apply and get ignored? Get a clue, dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies