Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 06:26 AM

57,343 posts, read 26,255,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Who are you or anybody to say a person can only earn x amount?
Competition and the free market is what's needed.
Well the argument is that Mar-A-Lago is defeating the free market by bringing in cheap labor from foreign countries. Wages should rise to attract local residents but they evidently didn't want to increase salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 10:00 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,868,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Actually, I do know because my son is constantly on the hill going to meetings and meeting with congressman about healthcare and H2B visas. Unions are against the abuse of H2B visas because it takes jobs away for americans. Obviously, you are for more H2B visas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well the argument is that Mar-A-Lago is defeating the free market by bringing in cheap labor from foreign countries. Wages should rise to attract local residents but they evidently didn't want to increase salary.
once again i must remind you that i HAVE WORKED as a seasonal employee for fourteen years. i have dealt with foreign workers, and dealt with the regulations dealing with foreign workers.

nat either you or your son is lying about foreign workers getting paid less than american workers, because it is patently FALSE. they get paid the SAME as american workers. to anything else is in fact ILLEGAL.

goodnight, i will just say that you are misinformed about the issue at this point.

and once again the fact is that it is very difficult to get qualified americans to work seasonal positions in the hospitality industry across the nation.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:23 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,870,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
once again i must remind you that i HAVE WORKED as a seasonal employee for fourteen years. i have dealt with foreign workers, and dealt with the regulations dealing with foreign workers.

nat either you or your son is lying about foreign workers getting paid less than american workers, because it is patently FALSE. they get paid the SAME as american workers. to anything else is in fact ILLEGAL.

goodnight, i will just say that you are misinformed about the issue at this point.

and once again the fact is that it is very difficult to get qualified americans to work seasonal positions in the hospitality industry across the nation.
Yes, they get paid the same but it still costs the company less as they are not obliged to provide a healthcare plan for temporary foreign workers (the workers are obliged to find and pay for a plan themselves if the employer does not provide them). Nor are they obliged to make any 401k contributions.

Additionally, while they may be paid the minimum required by law, they may be paid slightly less than the local standard for the same job.

Fwiw- I'm foreign. I initially came over here on a work visa (albeit not a seasonal one) to work in hotel management years ago, so it isn't like I'm not speaking from experience.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:27 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,453,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Yes, they get paid the same but it still costs the company less as they are not obliged to provide a healthcare plan for temporary foreign workers (the workers are obliged to find and pay for a plan themselves if the employer does not provide them). Nor are they obliged to make any 401k contributions.

Additionally, while they may be paid the minimum required by law, they may be paid slightly less than the local standard for the same job.

Fwiw- I'm foreign. I initially came over here on a work visa (albeit not a seasonal one) to work in hotel management years ago, so it isn't like I'm not speaking from experience.
No temp worker gets HC or 401k.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:28 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,657,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Busted.

Hahahahahaha.

So Mar Largo firsted advertises for local workers to fill seasonal jobs. Can't get them. So then hires LEGAL immigrants to fill these positions.

What is wrong with this?

You guys are really grasping for straws these days.
The ad ran for something like two days, with a small ad in a low circulation local newspaper. Replies were solicited by fax, no phone number or e-mail given. It was hardly a good-faith effort to get local American employees.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There were LOTS of local workers who could have filled these jobs. A tiny ad in a print newspaper, no online ad, no ad placement with local placement agencies is not going to reach many locals.

It is total hypocrisy by Trump. Hire American indeed.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:32 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,453,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The ad ran for something like two days, with a small ad in a low circulation local newspaper. Replies were solicited by fax, no phone number or e-mail given. It was hardly a good-faith effort to get local American employees.
lol..How long has that resort been there? The locals don't know it's there and hires every year? They need to be spoonfed? I know that's a rhetorical question by the way because the sloths in society these days absolutely DO need to be spoonfed responsibility.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
No temp worker gets HC or 401k.
dbone is right, health insurance and retirement plans are not provided to temporary workers, even ones that are US citizens.

G your are correct in your post though overall. at least you are offering up an honest post. as for pay rates, i dont know about private companies on private lands, but in the national parks, the vendors have to follow federal regulations in regards to everything. they must for instance, find out what similar properties pay their employees for a particular job with in a 250 mile radius, then average the pay rates, and offer that pay rate as a minimum pay rate for new employees. returning employees usually get a bit more for their second season.

so if the average pay rate for say desk clerks is $8 per hour, for every property in a 250 mile radius, then that is the set minimum for desk clerks in the parks.

and that also goes for room rates, food prices, souvenir prices, etc. in fact even gas prices you pay in the national parks are regulated the same way.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
There were LOTS of local workers who could have filled these jobs. A tiny ad in a print newspaper, no online ad, no ad placement with local placement agencies is not going to reach many locals.

It is total hypocrisy by Trump. Hire American indeed.
i have yet to run across a website for any resort that operates seasonally, that doesnt have a section for those looking for seasonal positions. everyone of of them has an employment opportunities section, it may not be listed exactly that way, but its there, and i have looked at many such websites in my time, and it tells of what jobs are available and how to apply for such jobs. if people cant find them, the they really are not interested in working at these locations.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Not irony. You don't know the meaning of the word.

At 4% unemployment, Americans don't want the seasonal jobs. Don't blame foreign legal workers that do want them.
"While 500 visas for foreign workers have been requested for Mar-a-Lago since 2010, only 17 Americans out of 300 applicants have been hired, the New York Times reported last year."

I find it hard to believe that out of 300 American applicants, only 17 were qualified to be hired for unskilled or semi-skilled labor. The very nature of unskilled labor means that experience is not required.

Mar-a-Lago continues quest for foreign workers with tiny U.S. ads - NY Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies