Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 07:53 PM

35,787 posts, read 21,176,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I have a computer and no printer. If I need to print something, I'll just download what I need to print from my computer to a USB card, and then take it to kinkos. But I print so little, it's not worth me buying a printer, which tend to not last long in my house.

I am definitely with the critics on this one. Trump and his family are huge POS for condemning other companies of using cheap foreign labor, when he and his daughter do the same thing. And considering he is a freaking billionaire, it makes it even worse. It's why the working class hates super rich people. They are just so greedy, then don't care who they hurt as long as they keep making more and more money. Seriously, how many homes, cars, boats and planes does one man possibly need? Imagine if he was't so damn greedy, he would have the funds to pay his workers 20 bucks and hour and make sure they have a living wage.

This personal acknowledgment still won't change my opinion on having to vote for him over Hillary. What he is doing is definitely immoral, but it's not against the law, and he hasn't been personally responsible for the deaths of innocent people like the Clintons have. But, I am getting tired of the BS with not bringing our troops home from the Middle East, overturning NAFTA, and abolishing Obamacare, or at least make it where American citizens won't be fined for having to buy a product (which should be unconstitutional)
If you say the cilinton responsible for deaths of innocent better have facts - mr T has much to answer for- give it Time .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 08:09 PM

47,041 posts, read 26,135,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Not really. Lots of Americans wanted to get hired at Mar-a-Lago at the wages offered. Qualified people did apply, but Trump prefers bringing foreign workers in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.16b51c6e4b27
Well, isn't that just contemptible?

Old 11-05-2017, 09:02 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,287,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My local Mc Donalds offers $11/ hr to start for a fixed shift. That's $2.75 more than the State Minimum Wage.
Fast food joints aren't country clubs with set dining hours.

Quote:
These employees are not required to be available 16 hours a day to work a 5 hour split shift as the do at Mar-Lago.

Quote:
In contrast, Mar-a- Lago offers an effective gross wage of $3 and change an hour given the need to be available 16 hours a day for 5 hours of split shift work. They require country club experience The value proposistion offered by Mar-a-Lago cannot compete with Mc Donalds.
It's the nature of the industry.

What makes you think these folks don't have a set schedule but are are "on call" for 16 hours 7 days a week?

Quote:
NYT? Trump Org could use any of the major online job sites to recruit like all other employers do. These sites enable online applications. Trump Org chooses not to participate in the annual local job fair. Their value proposistion is not competitive.
I have been to MANY job fairs (on the employer side). Never, ever, have I seen any company wasting their time/money looking for seasonal job hires at a job fair - let alone FF jobs.

Quote:
Upon inauguration, the initiation fee to Mar -a-Lago was doubled from $100,000 to $200,000. The annual dues increased to $15,000/ yr. these are the fees that enable a member to book a room and dine at the facility. Trump Org bills the Federal Government for space, lodging and food necessary to secure the premises.
And?

You prefer he stay in the WH or Camp David? Maybe that should be made a law: POTUS, should he or she own/have interest a resort or any type of seasonal vacation property will NOT be allowed to travel to it during the time of service.

Imagine if Obama had a business such as Mar-a-Lago....you all would have called any & everyone who whined about a thing Obama did as: "racist".

Headlines would have read "Conservative Racists Don't Want the POTUS/Black Business Owner to....."

You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
Trump is intent on reducing the corporate tax rate and in doing so, create jobs for US people.
Yet, Trump Org chooses to not make a competitive value proposistion to prospective employees and instead import cheaper labor.
Hasn't happened yet. So business practices will remain status quo.

Quote:
The job description is designed to exclude the US worker in favor of legally importing cheaper labor from Haiti and Romania. That's a huge disconnect for a POTUS who campaigned on being a US job creator.
See the above.

Quote:
That this Admin chose to increase the number ot low wage H2B visas by 45% is the icing on the cake. 45% !
For seasonal visa work.

Are you as upset with ski resorts in Colorado and logging businesses in Oregon for hiring the same?

Or just fancy country clubs that Trump is involved in?

Old 11-05-2017, 09:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,940,315 times
having worked seasonal jobs, i can tell you that it is tough to get locals to work for a season that is less than 6-9 months long, and then take three months off before being able to work again.

and that is the reason these companies hire from outside the US. the foreign workers are more than willing to travel from job to job when the season ends. but i wonder how many of you complaining that mar a lago is doing this have actually worked seasonal positions, and then went home to try and find another seasonal position, so that you could return to the previous seasonal position?

i am betting that perhaps one or two of you have.

i worked seasonal positions for 14 seasons, and only stopped because my kidneys started failing, among other medical issues, causing me to have to stop working. so i can tell you from experience that most employers are not going to hire you for a few months just so you can leave to go to another job. they want employees that are going to stay around for a number of years.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:18 PM

32,153 posts, read 15,162,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post

It's the nature of the industry.

What makes you think these folks don't have a set schedule but are are "on call" for 16 hours 7 days a week?

I have been to MANY job fairs (on the employer side). Never, ever, have I seen any company wasting their time/money looking for seasonal job hires at a job fair - let alone FF jobs.

And?

You prefer he stay in the WH or Camp David? Maybe that should be made a law: POTUS, should he or she own/have interest a resort or any type of seasonal vacation property will NOT be allowed to travel to it during the time of service.

Imagine if Obama had a business such as Mar-a-Lago....you all would have called any & everyone who whined about a thing Obama did as: "racist".

Headlines would have read "Conservative Racists Don't Want the POTUS/Black Business Owner to....."

You can't have it both ways.

Hasn't happened yet. So business practices will remain status quo.

See the above.

For seasonal visa work.

Are you as upset with ski resorts in Colorado and logging businesses in Oregon for hiring the same?

Or just fancy country clubs that Trump is involved in?

Our president Trump has been the one promoting putting americans first and hire americans for jobs. That's one of the reasons he wants to build a wall so that illegals can't take jobs away from americans. He doesn't practice what he preaches though. It's ok for him to do that I guess cause he's president and can do what he wants it seems.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,940,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Our president Trump has been the one promoting putting americans first and hire americans for jobs. That's one of the reasons he wants to build a wall so that illegals can't take jobs away from americans. He doesn't practice what he preaches though. It's ok for him to do that I guess cause he's president and can do what he wants it seems.
first off turmp doesnt run mar a lago now, second he is hiring LEGAL immigrants to do seasonal positions.

but tell you what. you start your own business, and make it a seasonal business not a year around one, and see how long it takes you to start looking to foreign workers to fill out your workforce.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:25 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,688,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
having worked seasonal jobs, i can tell you that it is tough to get locals to work for a season that is less than 6-9 months long, and then take three months off before being able to work again.

and that is the reason these companies hire from outside the US. the foreign workers are more than willing to travel from job to job when the season ends. but i wonder how many of you complaining that mar a lago is doing this have actually worked seasonal positions, and then went home to try and find another seasonal position, so that you could return to the previous seasonal position?

i am betting that perhaps one or two of you have.

i worked seasonal positions for 14 seasons, and only stopped because my kidneys started failing, among other medical issues, causing me to have to stop working. so i can tell you from experience that most employers are not going to hire you for a few months just so you can leave to go to another job. they want employees that are going to stay around for a number of years.
Kinda like trying to find Americans to pick strawberries or lettuce or other hard labor food sources, eh?

Old 11-05-2017, 09:29 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,974,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
These resorts in Florida and other places game the system to maintain profits, all they need to do is increase wages. They do the same thing in the Hamptons, there are plenty of seasonal workers that will take these seasonal jobs.
The job was posted for only 2 days in the paper in order to fulfill the legal requirements.
They had no intention of hiring Americans.

Trump could have easily required a hire Americans only policy at his club during his MAGA presidential campaign. But as we all know, it was a sales pitch he had no intention of abiding by.

Even so, under capitalism, if you cannot attract local talent, you increase the compensation until you do.
It appears Trump hates capitalism when it comes to the worker side of the equation.

It is the same with him having his stuff made in Communist China where workers do not have any rights.

People preach about the glories of Capitalism when it comes to raking in the profits but when it comes to the workers side of the equation they turn a blind eye.

Now before someone says, start your own business if you want to pay people more.
What chance do I have if a billionaire like Trump cannot afford it?

If Trump can't afford it, then that means no one can and his hire American only was all BS.
No two ways about it.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:31 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,287,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I think someone mentioned that these people will be making $418.00 a week give or take.

That's before taxes I'm betting so it would come down to more likely $350 or $320 depending on what taxes they claim. Trump's people are still missing the big picture. Once again Trump ran on giving jobs to Americans this shows that he really doesn't care in the end just like any president regardless of their party. If any member of the left there would be 100 pages of right wing outrage over this.

So why isn't the right more upset about this? Is it because in the end they don't really care about jobs being taken from Americans? I'm betting this is the case as many have posted at least it's not Hillary in office.

What do you want to pay unskilled labor?

Would it be based on their personal circumstances (that they created for themselves) or the hourly rate offered across the board to take orders/serve food/fill up water glasses with water (or stock shelves, clean potties, change linens)??

Old 11-05-2017, 09:34 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,974,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
That is just BS. Where did they advertise...in some obscure paper in small print. Don't you think someone would jump at the chance to work at Mar A Largo. They would make tons of money in tips alone. A bartender would probably make $100,000 in a year. But this is what businesses say all the time at resorts.....they can't get locals to work so they have to hire immigrants. Immigrates work for less money. Get a clue.
The job post said no receiving tips is allowed.
This is how cheap the club is.

Also, the pay is not even within the market range for the required positions.
A chef at a high end establishment usually pull in 45K a year and the club was only offering 13 bucks an hour.

It should be a requirement that if you take in immigrants because there is no one else, then you should pay 20 percent above the market rate in order to weed out shyster employers.

What they want is 30 people to live together under a roof living cheap as possible in order to make them richer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies