Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2017, 11:20 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,439,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You're running on emotion.
Who said anything about shooting someone. All you have to be, is afraid.
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself!

*And fertilizer

Old 11-10-2017, 11:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,955,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Ban fertilizer !!!
and diesel fuel, dont forget the diesel fuel.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:31 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,751,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Don't forget to ban maids, as a common cleaning cart is a potential rolling improvised explosive device to anyone who has taken even high school chemistry

I say no more fuels or oxidizers of any kind!

Old 11-10-2017, 11:32 PM

32,172 posts, read 15,174,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Hehe the left is going nuts because Trump correctly said the shooting was a result of a mental health issue.
People are going nuts because what does Trumpcare do about mental illness. It's going to take away funding.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:52 PM

18,163 posts, read 15,688,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You're running on emotion.
Who said anything about shooting someone. All you have to be, is afraid.

This is the ban happy rabbit peoples methodology. They present their position stridently and with palpable emotion. In short as an attack. An attack forces us to fall back on the defense out of the gate making us appear weak in our own position. The attack method makes them appear to be dominating the debate. On threads like this we actually have the high ground if we play our hand right.

All we need do is respond calmly with the facts. We don't have to remain silent and absorb the attack as in a live on stage debate that is skewed to them by the moderators anyway. Lol, I've discovered that looking up and watching videos of such "debates" or watching one of Feinsteins speeches and gong immediately here to post is a bad idea.

It has a similar effect to gong grocery shopping when your belly is wrapped around your backbone because you skipped breakfast. It leads to grabbing things you don't need. n the case of counter posting here we bring things we don't need. Such as severe annoyance and anger at the stupidity and know nothing ranting of the ban happy bunch. That comes through in our posts returning emotional , and unneeded, counter posting.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:49 AM

38,653 posts, read 26,463,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Uh, what? Handguns are 90% of firearm related homicides (where the type of firearm used is known).

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._2011-2015.xls

That stat includes handgun suicides.

Nearly two-thirds of deaths by firearm are suicides (64% in 2012), and almost all of those suicides are suicides in which a handgun is used rather than a rifle or shotgun.

http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/10....-031914-122535

Last edited by momonkey; 11-11-2017 at 03:13 AM..

Old 11-11-2017, 03:12 AM

5,127 posts, read 2,608,393 times
Quote:
and renting trucks

Old 11-11-2017, 09:10 AM

29,600 posts, read 9,817,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
1. Allure was created. The forbidden fruit is what creates curiosity. That's human nature. You feed what you breed. My father thought hotrods and race cars were a stupid waste of money and dangerous, so at 16 the little S10 I picked up for $850, with the help and guidance of friends father who owned a body shop, I waited for my dad to go away on a week long business trip and swapped a built 327 and 4 speed into the S10. Forbidden fruit and spite sure was fun and made alot of money when I sold it too!

2. Having knowledge of firearms safety is not ignorance. The approach of creating an allure/forbidden fruit is not conducive. It causes the opposite of desired result. Prime example firebug cousin from wacky aunt. I'd bet you would be like the parents of a couple of my friends who were mortified finding out from their kid that when they spent the weekend at my house there was a gun cabinet full of rifles and shotguns in the living room. And yes it was obvious then as it is now, those who didn't have firearms in their house, they wanted to handle them, shoot them, etc. Nope. Not without your parents permission first. They're not toys what's the big deal guys? The big deal was their parents didn't own or believe in owning firearms. Ohwell their loss. At age 18 on the other hand...

3. Ahh there it is. The anointed holier than thou truth comes out, gun owners aren't intelligent, responsible, or mature. Nice

4. You feed what you breed. Kids aren't dumb, kids are the result of what bred and raised them. Afterall you even admitted yourself curiosity caused you to find your father's firearm. Is that dumb? No. I find a kid who can figure things out such as that to be quite smart. Expectation well, this can be said about expectation and I had to tell this to every ex girlfriend of mine. Expect in one hand crap in the other tell me which fills up first.

Logic dictates, more responsibility taught, with a backing of harsh punishment = more responsible people. For there is an understanding that if I do this, I should expect to receive that. Darwin knocks if you neglect to teach the fundamentals and carry out safe practices. It's choice. Not expectation. You can choose to be irresponsible with a car a gun a motorcycle a book of matches anything really. That's your choice to do so. Knowing the rules, laws, and choosing to be safe and responsible is upon the individual is it not?

So go on and tell me more how raising future responsible beings is a bad thing... Oh right... because it involves firearms and free will...

I don't know if you are a parent, but all parents raise their kids in the way they feel is best. That's what my wife and I did, and I'm sure both my kids would say they were raised in a gun free environment. Other than the occasional visit with my wife's side of the family in Utah where we did some target shooting with some shotguns, we have lived a life entirely free of guns. I don't regret a day, and there is no reason to think anyone in my family is any the worse for not having guns in our lives. In fact the opposite as far as we are concerned.

That said, as already commented a few times now, to each his own!

Others just love their guns, and guns are a significant part of how they spend their time, live their lives. I get it. Just like others love cars, gardening, bird watching -- whatever. Different strokes for different folks. There is no arguing what is best, just that we do whatever we do in an adult, careful and considerate manner. Considerate of others whether they are into the same things or not. Right?

What's to argue about any of that?

Old 11-11-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
3. Ahh there it is. The anointed holier than thou truth comes out, gun owners aren't intelligent, responsible, or mature. Nice
PS: Again with this nonsense or inability to understand my words...

In no way did I write anything remotely close to what you state above.

I was explaining why it is my kids don't view fire and/or guns in the way you described some kids do. Why? Because among other things, they are more intelligent than that! No way does that mean the same thing as "gun owners aren't intelligent."

Hard enough to stay focused on what is actually being communicated. Gets exhausting to correct all this effort on your part to distort my words. Are you trying to be difficult and combative?

Kinda reminds me of my wife on a bad day...

Old 11-11-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
we all have thought of killing someone at some point in our past, for instance how many times have you used the suggestion i want to kill you towards someone? and of those times, were you giving in to anger at the time? most people do, in word. however they usually dont give into said anger in deed.
More from the dark side...

Your comment is interesting, because I can't recall ever making the comment "I want to kill you."

When I get frustrated with people, I have sometimes said something like "I want to shoot myself!"

"Somebody give me a gun so I can shoot myself."

Often in this forum I feel like shooting myself out of frustration over how some people think (or don't). There too, however, I don't really mean it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.