Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should assault rifles (e.g. AR-15) be removed from the marketplace?
Yes 40 24.10%
No 126 75.90%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ignorant people, trying to think for me, on something they know very little about and are running on emotions.
Ignorance breeds fear.

My AR's, (yes plural), go hunting with me every weekend. There is great sport in spot and stalking hogs in the thick woods.
I have one for day field hunting with 24" barrel and 4x15 50mm, one 16" for knight hunting with IR, and a shorty 300ACC for the thick woods spot & stalking.

Here.

//www.city-data.com/forum/attachments/politics-other-controversies/186381d1497966835-gun-paranoia-vs-reality-dsc01303.jpg
Papa Bear - Mamma Bear - Baby Bear.
The shorty, is a 300 Blackout

These things feed my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 08:01 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Guns have played a significant role in the history of all countries. For example, guns have made women stronger and able to protect themselves without a man.

Guns are a great equalizer. Before guns, the strongest always prevailed. With guns, not so much.
This sounds very much like nuclear arms race logic.

At some point, reason has to kick in. All those nuclear arms were and still are a false sense of security.

If we start blowing stuff up, we'll kill everything and everyone.

Having everyone in the country walking around armed like we live in a war zone would have a similar effect, on a smaller scale. It's just not logical.

I do not disagree that guns have uses and that people should be allowed to own them if they are of sound mind, though.

I just think there's a point at which it won't matter anymore because there will be way more of them than anyone needs.

Taking a look at the Las Vegas shooting, we might already be there.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:05 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Here.

USA today says we can mount chainsaw bayonets as possible modifications...

I'm trolling them hardcore... I think I'm going to build a 300 pistol with a sig brace and place a fleshlight in the sig brace, I call it the Hump stock.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:06 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm not anti-gun. I'm pro human beings.

If guns are what makes America America, I think that is very sad. I think the citizens of this country are what makes America America. I think our system of laws and government are what makes America America.

Guns? How odd. There are plenty of guns in the Middle East. Does that make them American, too?

I think you have "girly men" confused with "men who don't need guns to prove that they're men."

(sigh) hate it when someone uses firearms ownership as a correlation to "manhood." As it's been mentioned women are outnumbering men in becoming armed citizens. Our last CCW class was a 3-1 margin in favor of the ladies. And I must say that women are far better students than a lot of men in this regard. They come to learn, and unlike many of their male counterparts don't think they know it all already. And our class is tough. t requires paying attention and setting aside of preconceptions about what carrying a firearm for defense means.

Thankfully the "real man" crow is not that large. But just one n a class can really throw a spanner in things. We have had to dismiss students before because they just wouldn't get with the curriculum. All t takes is one to disrupt the entire class and then nobody gets their moneys worth. Unacceptable.

If someone comes to us expecting to be learning to be a gunfighter they are better off seeking life elsewhere. Something we make very plain as our first addressing of the class.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Here.

Are we supposed to be impressed? You think I've never shot one before? LOL.

I grew up in the country, man.

Having kids made me want to have less guns in my home. Look at how many kids are killed by guns in their own houses or at the Sandy Hook shooter and how he got his guns.

I know plenty about guns. I just think that people like yourself who are avid hunters should have zero problems passing background checks and qualifying for license to own and operate firearms.

So, why does the idea of having these regulations in place upset you? Don't you want all those ignorant people who don't know much not to be able to easily walk into a gun show, buy a high-powered rifle with a high-capacity magazine and shoot up a church, a school, a movie theater, or whatever?

Old 11-09-2017, 08:08 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Kind of moot since a gun ban or confiscation will never happen. There are just too many people across party lines that will never allow anyone to take their guns. These mass shootings only increase the desire for people to buy guns.
That being said, if the government agrees to disarm the military and federal agencies of all firearms that NOBODY has them, I'll go along with that. But then we'd see the secret service, FBI, CIA, ATF and civilians running around with swords.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:09 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I do think the gun has played a significant role in our history, as we once were, and some ways still are a vast hostile, wilderness where people had to hunt, and defend themselves. Also, the beginning of our country was basically due to an ARMED insurrection. I do not feel more "manly" having a gun, but I do feel that I am more free.

What makes America is citizens having freedom of CHOICE, and maintaining our Natural Rights as human beings.

My ancestors sure wish they had disarmed all settlers to our land, of their firearms.
They were eventually rounded up, and sent down the Trail of Tears.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:09 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nobody needs an AR-15 for personal use.
If you don't need an AR-15 for personal use, that's fine with me, it's your choice, nobody's forcing you to go out and buy one, however, its not up to you to decide which rifles we need.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
First of all, the AR-15 is in neither a hunting rifle nor sporting rifle, it's an assault rifle.
False on all three points.

The semi-automatic sporting rifle in 5.56/.223 is used for small and medium game hunting all over the country, particularly wild hog hunts in the Southeast. It is also used in various shooting competitions, like 3-Gun for example.

And it is not an assault rifle, as it has no option to select automatic fire, which is the definition of assault rifle - selective fire.
Quote:
It was developed for the military for the purpose of cover fire.
Which is why the military versions are true assault rifles with automatic fire, since that is about all automatic fire is good for - suppression. It also serves the military's "volume of fire > marksmanship" methodology, since marksman training for the majority of the military ranges somewhere between "nonexistent" and "laughably feeble." Ever hear of the "5.56 pencil?" That's the tool used to make sure everyone gets their marksman ribbon during annual quals. So yeah, those folks need automatic fire, since they are sometimes tossed into combat with virtually no marksman skills whatsoever, and volume of fire can help somewhat.
Quote:
The variant sold to civilians is semi-automatic, while the models used by the military are select-fire. That's the only difference, otherwise they're one and the same.
It's a massive difference, and it is disingenuous to suggest that selective fire is some minor thing. If it was, the 1986 weapons ban kinda makes no sense.
Quote:
An AR-15 makes a poor choice for a hunting rifle...
Low recoil, easy to operate and 0.5-1 MOA for under $1000 = fantastic small/medium game hunting platform.
Quote:
... and even worse for self-defense. If someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night, you're going to shoot them with an AR-15? Do you not realize that even if you aim the rifle accurately the bullet has so much force that it will exit your target, go through a wall and kill one of your family members? The best weapon for home and self-defense is a pistol with hollow point ammo.
I personally wouldn't use a semi-auto rifle for home defense, since I have a 12 gauge shotgun with an 8 round magazine that alternates .00 buckshot and slugs. Whatever I shoot with that is going down and staying down. But I have multiple weapons that serve different purposes, hence owning different types.

And a pistol with hollow points is indeed a decent weapon for home defense, and my suppressed 9mm has that as the home defense load, but I still prefer the 12 gauge for home defense.
Quote:
You think you're going to use your rifle to fend off a government siege? Please, the government has enough manpower and firepower to wipe you off the face of the earth and every record that you ever existed. It's insane to think that you can fight the government with a rifle.
Really? Tell that to the mujahadeen in Afghanistan, who have held the two great superpowers of the last 50 years at bay since the 80s with small arms and good marksmanship. There are all kinds of victory conditions, one of which is robbing your enemy of the will to fight you. Enough civilians fighting back with small arms against their own countrymen who likely don't have much will to kill innocent civilians to begin with and sapping will is not all that hard to imagine. Insurgencies all over the world have succeeded on small arms and guerrilla tactics for centuries. Can you defeat the entire government? Nope. But you can defeat several of their on-the-ground infantry before they "wipe you off the face of the Earth" and every one of those soldiers killed reduces the overall will of the enemy.

Do you think that question was not asked prior to Lexington and Concord? How, pray tell can we, us simple folk, defeat the might of King George III's army which is commanded by one of the top five military commanders in the history of warfare? How could backwards peasants in pajamas hold the mighty US military at bay in southeast Asia? How can cave dwelling nomads hold both the US and former USSR at bay with nothing but AK-47s, WW II era bolt action rifles and a few RPGs? Etc etc. It's actually pretty reliable and repeatable how well dedicated insurgents ca do against overwhelmingly superior enemies using nothing but small arms and good marksmanship.
Quote:
Like I said before, the system can't seem to keep these weapons out of the hands of deranged people, so maybe it's time to take them off the market. I understand that they're fun to own and to operate, and I enjoy target shooting as much as the next person, but if we can't keep them out of the hands of crazy people, then perhaps we have the duty to get rid of them for the common good. Thoughts?
We cannot keep a lot of dangerous things out of the hands of crazy people. You realize with $100 at Home Depot and $25 at the gas station, you can easily build pretty serious area of effect weapons, right? The Columbine kids actually had that as their main plan. Use guns to herd everyone into the cafeteria and then detonate their homemade explosives for serious body count, but they sucked at chemistry and their explosives failed, so they just shot people until the game was over. Their body count would have been so much higher if they knew anything about explosives. McVeigh killed how many people without firing a single bullet because he actually did understand explosives? Al Qaeda killed how many by learning how to fly planes and understanding how herds react to panic?

And let us not forget that knives, blunt objects and personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc) each kill more people annually than rifles OF ANY TYPE. You understand that? More people commit homicide with their bare hands than with rifles OF ANY TYPE by an almost 2:1 ratio (2016 FBI statistics). You cannot outlaw things and stop crazy. Crazy, like any form of entropy, will find a way, so say the laws of thermodynamics. This does not mean we have no laws, but taking rights an privileges away from the innocent in order to prevent some hypothetical future thing from happening is more insane than the crazy you are trying to stop.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
(sigh) hate it when someone uses firearms ownership as a correlation to "manhood." As it's been mentioned women are outnumbering men in becoming armed citizens. Our last CCW class was a 3-1 margin in favor of the ladies. And I must say that women are far better students than a lot of men in this regard. They come to learn, and unlike many of their male counterparts don't think they know it all already. And our class is tough. t requires paying attention and setting aside of preconceptions about what carrying a firearm for defense means.

Thankfully the "real man" crow is not that large. But just one n a class can really throw a spanner in things. We have had to dismiss students before because they just wouldn't get with the curriculum. All t takes is one to disrupt the entire class and then nobody gets their moneys worth. Unacceptable.

If someone comes to us expecting to be learning to be a gunfighter they are better off seeking life elsewhere. Something we make very plain as our first addressing of the class.
When I first got my CCW permit, I was in a class of over 20 people. I was 3rd best shooter. The two ahead of me were my ex husband and a retired guy who was career military.

My ex and I shot together all the time to practice. The next best after me was the retired guy's daughter.

Guns are not a sign of manhood. They are tools to be used, hopefully, by people who are trained and qualified to operate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies