Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 08:33 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Age is somewhat meaningless at some point. A lot of women marry older men, especially these days. It's more common than most people think.
I still use the half your age plus 7 rule for what is socially acceptable. So the youngest socially acceptable partner for a 49 year old would be 31

Old 11-12-2017, 08:36 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I still use the half your age plus 7 rule for what is socially acceptable. So the youngest socially acceptable partner for a 49 year old would be 31
Ha, I’ve always used half +10...but maybe it’s because I’m using it in the less than 40 years old bracket.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:38 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
So why hasn't he been arrested and charged? You say they have all the proof that they need. I am not defending the guy... I am saying that some of you have him tried and convicted without due process.
I felt the same way about the accusations about HRC. It looked bad, but I didn't run around saying " lock her up" nor calling her "crooked". ( I personally thought she was a horrible candidate.) I wanted to see the actual evidence against her before making up my mind. And that is all I am saying here.
Once again... unless you don't believe in the our laws I can only assume that your stand is politically motivated
rather than about the actual truth.
The court of public opinion does not have the same burden of proof as a criminal court. Personally I hope he's elected, I might even donate to his campaign, this will leave a stink on the Republican party that they will never rid themselves of.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:39 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Age is somewhat meaningless at some point. A lot of women marry older men, especially these days. It's more common than most people think.
umm no, 14 year old girls don't marry 32 year old men, well maybe they do in Alabama but that seems to be a 'special place'

Old 11-12-2017, 08:43 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The court of public opinion does not have the same burden of proof as a criminal court. Personally I hope he's elected, I might even donate to his campaign, this will leave a stink on the Republican party that they will never rid themselves of.

I think so and the state of Alabama as well but they deserve it if they elect this guy.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:45 AM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I can understand waiting a year. But five years? Or thirty year?
These women just wanted to go on with their lives. You are a good example of why the did not come forward. You assume the perps in these situations is innocent and the women are lying and just looking for money. Many others think like you and insulate these sexual predators.

Sad very sad.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:48 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How about a 49 year old man and a 22 year old woman?
Do you have someone in mind, or are you bragging? Or just being philosophical?

Old 11-12-2017, 08:51 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
I think this treatment is rampant in all industries. I am a 53 year old woman and I have had minor incidences happen throughout my life. Two memories that are in my mind clear as day are incidents that occurred when I was a teenager within my own peer group. I had one boy who constantly grabbed by a$$ throughout the school day when no one was looking. He was also in my shop class and plagued me there. I was constantly trying to avoid him and had a lot of anxiety around him. I'm sure he was doing it to other girls too. Why didn't I tell on him? I have no idea. It just never struck me as something I could do and even be taken seriously. The next time something happened I was a few years older and was at a school event helping to build a float for Homecoming. We somehow got in a more isolated area of the school (outdoors) and he fell down and said he hurt himself and needed help getting up. I stuck out my hand to pull him up and he pulled me down on the ground and, well, I don't what he was trying to do. I managed to get away and told me friend and we left. I didn't tell anyone else. Next day, he spread all around that I had done the "deed" with him. When I tried to explain what really happened, no one believed me.

Now these were guys my age but I've always felt like there is just this thought process with many men that they can take what they want from women and no one really cares. I know the above sounds simplistic and silly but I felt tons of shame and embarrassment over it. And I never felt like I could say anything about it as no one would care.

When I entered the workplace I remember this one boss I had used to hit on my coworker so much. He used to walk up behind her and put a cold soda on the back of her neck and watch her jump and peer over her shoulder to try to see down her shirt. These kinds of things went on often.

I do think that if one of these people I am thinking of became famous today (and preachy to boot), I'd probably rat them out at this point, just because I hate hypocrites.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:59 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How about a 49 year old man and a 22 year old woman?
Especially if one was President.

But I felt that should have stayed under wraps, as I do this one.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:00 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
The fact that this thread exists at all should answer the question of why women are scared to come forward about sexual assault.
Exactly right. Historically, women have never held power, political or otherwise. We have always known the cards are stacked against us before we even open our mouths, and when the man in question is one who is older, bigger, stronger, in a position of power or holds your life or your livelihood in their hands, it was always a lose/lose proposition for a woman to come forward.

It's changing finally, but it's still fraught with danger to come forward. I would imagine the lives of these women have been hell since their names were published. Anyone who thinks they are enjoying this kind of attention is daft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies