Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 04:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Here in metro Phoenix, Tempe Union High School District has an open enrollment lottery, but doesn't provide transportation for the students accepted. So the kids I know from Phoenix proper who are part of it have to use the Valley Metro busses (public transportation) to get to school and back
What else would you like to be provided? A personal chef and a private jet?

In my old country, some students have to cross 8 miles of mountain roads to get to school.

I had to take 1 hour public bus to go to school myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 05:29 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
All libertarians agree that the aggressor must be stopped by violence. What’s the problem?
People who do not pay their taxes are aggressors against the rest of us. So we agree with the libertarians. You use violence or the threat there of to stop the aggresssors.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:37 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
They have that in New York, it's called the Urban/Suburban program. Minorities from the city of Rochester are allowed to go to Suburban schools as part of it (but whites in Rochester aren't eligible), and whites from the suburbs are allowed to go to Rochester city schools (though I'm sure few do, with the exception of Wilson High now that it's a magnet school)
Don't think that to be true. I lived in Chatham Gardens and sent my very white daughters to school in Pittsford. That was more than a few years ago but I am not sure it would be legal to sort the children by race rather than neighborhood.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
People who do not pay their taxes are aggressors against the rest of us. So we agree with the libertarians. You use violence or the threat there of to stop the aggresssors.
The people who do not want to surrender their legally earned property under the threat of their life are now the aggressors?

What’s the matter with you?

Old 12-03-2017, 05:43 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Don't think that to be true. I lived in Chatham Gardens and sent my very white daughters to school in Pittsford. That was more than a few years ago but I am not sure it would be legal to sort the children by race rather than neighborhood.
It's demographics among other things, the city of Rochester is only 37% white non-hispanic, 42% black, 3% asian and 16% latino. While the suburb I grew up in Penfield is 92% white non-hispanic, 2% black, 3% Asian and 1% Latino.

I stated before the program is a relic of the forced bussing era in order to racially integrate districts

Old 12-03-2017, 05:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The people who do not want to surrender their legally earned property under the threat of their life are now the aggressors?

What’s the matter with you?
Refer to my previous post, money is not property. Land and buildings are property

Old 12-03-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Refer to my previous post, money is not property. Land and buildings are property
LOL!!!

Property tax then.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:19 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
That's not why we oppose vouchers, that's a right wing canard. We oppose vouchers because they are an insidious way to eventually close down public schools; and they don't cover the full cost of private school tuition, which places extra financial hardships on the parents of a kid that uses them
Exactly.

I'm happy you are still posting here. I am exhausted from the rumors and downright hatred of the poor I've seen here.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:16 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
Quote:
Actually, New York's do. There was a big story in the news about a white kid from the city of Rochester that had been accepted into the urban-suburban program to go to school in the suburbs without knowing the kids ethnicity. But when it was found out the boy was white, the offer was rescinded, as New Yorks program was designed to integrate both suburban and city schools. All the urban-suburban kids at the high school I went to were black or Puerto rican
That I can believe. In NY, anyway.

About the transportation "dilemma": In NY there wouldn't be one. There are public busses and vans zipping around bringing people to just about everywhere. Out of district schools wouldn't be a big extra.

In NY, the suburban schools are fine. The same as those in NC, IN, anywhere (even though they are way more expensive, but not as expensive generally as city schools). It's the urban schools that are not so good. Although the charter schools in the City of NY are as good as any schools in the state, even though the regular schools are bad.

They need a different approach for city schools. The suburbs, they just need to economize a little.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Exactly.

I'm happy you are still posting here. I am exhausted from the rumors and downright hatred of the poor I've seen here.
There no downright hatred of the poor.

There are:

Hypocrisy - All the rich need to pay, but I, I don't need to pay.
Greed - The rich need to pay because they have more, and I want more, I want more, I want more!
Violence - If they don't pay, they deserve to be imprisoned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies