Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 11:14 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Why not just let kids from bad school districts go to schools in good school districts? Say, the kids from Albany or Rochester go to Bethlehem or Irondequoit? Or why not open other schools in bad school districts that are run by different people?
Why not? Democrats. Teachers unions. The former protect the latter to get million$ in campaign donations and votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 11:17 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mouf View Post
not what I said

they've had things like "bussing"

and they also had things like "magnet" or "vanguard" programs where people from other areas can go to schools not "zoned" to them

just as they have strategically drawn districts in the political realm, they've always "zoned" kids to certain schools to keep them in place

there is a story of a women that got charged because she was trying to send her child to a better school and she used someone else's address and I think they criminally charged her with theft or some shhhht because she was trying to get her kid a better education
Excellent point. I hope minorities are aware of that. Democrats oppose school vouchers because they want to keep minorities in their place: under-educated and poor. They don't want any uppity minorities.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:25 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Trying to get her kid a better education on someone else’s dime. It costs money to run a school. If you are paying property taxes in a different town, you are not contributing to your child’s education in a different town. In my state, you can send your child to a different school district, but you have to pay the town in order to do that. If you dont, then it is theft.

In a state that has very high property taxes to send your children to a good school, as well as a high income tax to fund poor districts extremely well, I would be very angry to know that people from other towns were scamming my school district and adding to my already astronomically high taxes.
What’s wrong with that?

Old 12-03-2017, 02:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
None of those programs have racial restrictions, but like open enrollment in California which allows parents to enroll their kid in another school if there is room, it doesn't solve the problem of how the kid will get to that school, busing pretty much ended in California in 2007 so unless you have a car and time to drive your kid to and from a school that's not in your neighborhood it's probably not going to happen.
Actually, New York's do. There was a big story in the news about a white kid from the city of Rochester that had been accepted into the urban-suburban program to go to school in the suburbs without knowing the kids ethnicity. But when it was found out the boy was white, the offer was rescinded, as New Yorks program was designed to integrate both suburban and city schools. All the urban-suburban kids at the high school I went to were black or Puerto rican

Old 12-03-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Excellent point. I hope minorities are aware of that. Democrats oppose school vouchers because they want to keep minorities in their place: under-educated and poor. They don't want any uppity minorities.
That's not why we oppose vouchers, that's a right wing canard. We oppose vouchers because they are an insidious way to eventually close down public schools; and they don't cover the full cost of private school tuition, which places extra financial hardships on the parents of a kid that uses them

Old 12-03-2017, 02:25 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Actually, New York's do. There was a big story in the news about a white kid from the city of Rochester that had been accepted into the urban-suburban program to go to school in the suburbs without knowing the kids ethnicity. But when it was found out the boy was white, the offer was rescinded, as New Yorks program was designed to integrate both suburban and city schools. All the urban-suburban kids at the high school I went to were black or Puerto rican
Family should have sued. I'm absolutely sure they could have found no shortage of lawyers interested in taking this on pro bono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
None of those programs have racial restrictions, but like open enrollment in California which allows parents to enroll their kid in another school if there is room, it doesn't solve the problem of how the kid will get to that school, busing pretty much ended in California in 2007 so unless you have a car and time to drive your kid to and from a school that's not in your neighborhood it's probably not going to happen.
It surprises me that there aren't more private companies selling busing services to parents in these situations (open enrollment but on your own for transit). Guess the overlap between being able to afford busing but not being able to afford a better neighborhood is too small. Or maybe it's just an underserved market opportunity.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Family should have sued. I'm absolutely sure they could have found no shortage of lawyers interested in taking this on pro bono.
They would have no grounds, unless they wanted the program changed or dismantled outright. It's a relic of the "forced bussing" era of the 70s which is still around

Old 12-03-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post

It surprises me that there aren't more private companies selling busing services to parents in these situations (open enrollment but on your own for transit). Guess the overlap between being able to afford busing but not being able to afford a better neighborhood is too small. Or maybe it's just an underserved market opportunity.
Here in metro Phoenix, Tempe Union High School District has an open enrollment lottery, but doesn't provide transportation for the students accepted. So the kids I know from Phoenix proper who are part of it have to use the Valley Metro busses (public transportation) to get to school and back

Old 12-03-2017, 03:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Amazing..if I had been the parent I would have sued the district

Old 12-03-2017, 03:06 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Here in metro Phoenix, Tempe Union High School District has an open enrollment lottery, but doesn't provide transportation for the students accepted. So the kids I know from Phoenix proper who are part of it have to use the Valley Metro busses (public transportation) to get to school and back
yes, that's how it works in California too, sort of sucks for working families who only have one car and no way to get the kid to a better school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies