Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2017, 08:11 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
No. Everything is negotiable, especially when bargaining collectively. No executive would take a job without a contract. There's a reason for this.
huh? Only 6.4% of private sector employees belong to a union. The rest are at the mercy of their employers, not just for starting wage but for subsequent increases in wages or benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 08:12 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Why should they have it all? Most rich off a poor man’s back
Classic Marxist thinking.

Self made rich people simply create wealth for themselves. And this wealth creation helps ALL. Apple makes the i-phone and makes gazillions of dollars from the sales. This causes an expansion of the wealth gap.

The poor Joe Blow gives his money to Apple for the i-phone. However, Joe Blow gets to improve his live-------------he thinks he is getting VALUE that is more than whatever was paid for the phone.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:14 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
I would like to challenge the "equal opportunity" motif. Liberals believe it's not "socially just" for wealthy areas to have better funded and overall better quality schools than poorer areas. But, don't wealthy areas pay more in taxes? Why is unfair to get what you pay for? Heck, if I am able to afford to live in whatever neighborhood Obama lives in, you bet I'm going to demand good schools! Do liberals really believe that Bill Gates should be forced to send his kids to crappy schools just so things can be "more equal"? Or if we try to make every school the same, what will be the incentive for any school to be decent? Won't rich people just flock to private schools or homeschooling? Would the next step be to make homeschooling illegal so no one has an "unfair aadvantag"? Just wondering how far we should take this equality stuff. It seems like the book Animal Farm.
The question should be why do many areas have horsesh#t schools?
Answer - the one size fits all limitations the Dept of Education puts on education. Just the extra layer of government makesthe running of schools costlier and inefficient.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:17 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Well the wealthy do pay significantly more property taxes than the middle class and below. It isn't unreasonable that the schools in the area where they live should reap the benefit of those taxes.
One thing I have learned is that simply dumping money into a school district won't change anything without parents actually doing their part. Too often that extra money is diverted into sports programs, pay raises and wasteful spending. The "it's free money" mentality takes over fast.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:35 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Wage negotiation for minimum wage jobs is simple: take it or eave it.
As usual, ignoring the fact that there's a 3rd choice: better your skills.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:42 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well the wealthy do pay significantly more property taxes than the middle class and below. It isn't unreasonable that the schools in the area where they live should reap the benefit of those taxes.
so what if there are renters in the wealthy neighborhood, or a low rent apartment complex adjacent to the rich people's houses but in the school boundaries? Should the school district exclude those kids from attending the 'better school' and bus them to a school that is more in line with their wealth ? Geezus

Old 11-23-2017, 08:48 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
huh? Only 6.4% of private sector employees belong to a union. The rest are at the mercy of their employers, not just for starting wage but for subsequent increases in wages or benefits.
And people wonder why just like the 90's the stock market is booming, yet the majority of us aren't feeling the benefits of it.

If we want a bigger piece of the pie we need to do a better job at fighting for it.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
so what if there are renters in the wealthy neighborhood, or a low rent apartment complex adjacent to the rich people's houses but in the school boundaries? Should the school district exclude those kids from attending the 'better school' and bus them to a school that is more in line with their wealth ? Geezus
Never said anything of the kind. Can you show me where I did?
I did say the rich pay significantly more in property tax. Why shouldn't school districts where they live reap the benefits of that? No where did I say low income should be bused out of the school district. No where did I say anyone within that school district should be excluded.
What I am against is school taxes from a district being diverted to other school districts.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I detest my employer and job. Now down to 1.5 months before retirement. What I don't detest is my pay.
The Union has tried to get in where I work at least 3 times since I am there. Every time the Union admits that they won't be able to increase our pay and that our benefits are already about what they would negotiate for us.
Why would I pay union dues if it does nothing for me? The only folks who wanted the union were the under achievers. The slackers.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Not going to take time to read all the replies but i will say: the question really is simple. The better school districts attract teachers who want to teach and not play baby sitter for a bunch of kids who do not want to learn or who have had no direction from home. That plus better schools are usually associated with higher taxes and higher property prices. It isn't so much a matter or deserving as a fact of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies