Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 08:45 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
DH was involved in a low income rental project years ago. The company bought the utilities and did the billing at current rates. That 15% spread paid for on site after school care, computers and job training. They got the education department at the local college to provide volunteer tutors every day. There are ways to solve problems but one needs to be willing and creative.
That's awesome, wouldn't it be great if something like that served as a model nationwide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 08:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Lightbulb Why SHOULDN'T wealthy people have better school districts?

Allow me to turn this around:

Why shouldn't working class folks have better school districts?

Old 11-24-2017, 09:21 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
A rising tide lifts all boats. I should be amazed that some CD posters think just because they have money and pay more taxes entitles them to better stuff. Schools should be like toll roads.

The thing this thread conveys to me is that there are as many ways to pay for public education as there are states. And that the soft bigotry of low expectation also comes from teachers.

If I were running a school district, I'd get really good pre school teachers and start school at age 3. I would also institute the program started in Missouri 25 years ago, Parents as Teachers. If the problem is lack of parental involvement, fix that. It might take 2 generations, but in the long haul we will all be better for it.

IMO, there have always been some unfit parents. The education establishment has been successful in blaming their failure to educate their kids on bad parenting. It is not impossible to teach children whose parents are not involved. The first thing to teach is how to behave at school.
Exactly an educated society is a health society, we don't need a caste type education system to favor the wealthy. I don't believe that a problem even exists since wealthy districts in my area seem to do quite well in spite of the amount of funding that goes to poorer districts.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:37 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Allow me to turn this around:

Why shouldn't working class folks have better school districts?

What is “working class”?

I know a many wealthy people, and in my experience, the vast majority of them work. So are they “working class”?

Or is “working class” a nice way of saying “poor people”?

Old 11-24-2017, 09:41 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What is “working class”?

I know a many wealthy people, and in my experience, the vast majority of them work. So are they “working class”?

It's silly to ask me for a definition of what's well defined.

I don't define the term and neither do you.

It is what it is.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:47 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
Because the barbaric authoritarian collectivists believe that other people's money is theirs to take and use however they please.

Spooner on the difference between a government and a highwayman (1870) - Online Library of Liberty

Old 11-24-2017, 09:50 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What is “working class”?

I have my own definition of working class. Someone working class earns minimum 2.5 times the rent of a median one bedroom apartment in their metro each month to maximum 5 times that rent

Old 11-24-2017, 10:19 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I have my own definition of working class. Someone working class earns minimum 2.5 times the rent of a median one bedroom apartment in their metro each month to maximum 5 times that rent
Working class is someone who does not own private property or the means of production.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:23 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Working class is someone who does not own private property or the means of production.
Point being was if you don't earn 5 times the rent of a median one bedroom apartment in your area, "the smart money" (betting term) says you won't earn enough to rent AND save for a down payment on a house/condo, so my definition is pretty accurate

Old 11-24-2017, 10:25 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Point being was if you don't earn 5 times the rent of a median one bedroom apartment in your area, "the smart money" (betting term) says you won't earn enough to rent AND save for a down payment on a house/condo, so my definition is pretty accurate
Indeed frankly its disgusting that anyone who works full time can not afford a modest apartment its a complete joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies