Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 09:11 AM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL. Every school I went to was a public school. There wasn’t any private school in my old country. Not even allowed.
How are the schools there funded? By local property tax or some other method? Are schools there uniform across the country or are there pockets of decrepit schools?

If I were so scornful of the society to which I had immigrated, I would leave. I am so scornful of the society in which I live that I am dedicating my life to changing it for the better.

Why did you choose to come to another country and then insult it? What is it about American schools and taxation that offends you so greatly? If your taxes are $53,000 per year, then I imagine that your income is well over $100,000 per year. If that is unattainable in the country of your education, then it seems that you would be appreciative of the opportunity that the U. S. affords you. But instead you denigrate its institutions and its citizens. Is it not a value in your country not to insult your host?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 09:12 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That's not how it works in Michigan and that's not how it works in most states.
It's like that in California

Old 11-25-2017, 09:14 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
I went to a middle school where the teachers were great but students were awful, and then went to a high school where the students were great but that teachers were awful. Same school equipment etc.

The middle school was ranked the bottom of the barrel.
The high school was ranked top three in the country.

Why? The students and their responsibile parents.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:16 AM

233 posts, read 191,175 times
Compulsory education needs to end and we need to revoke all truancy laws. We are subsidizing a glorified daycare service for unprepared, ill-equipped, and neglectful parents. You think if you put these Harrisburg students into "great quality schools" their behavior would change? It is a function of environment and home training.

Student violence led to 45 Pennsylvania teachers quitting | Daily Mail Online

Old 11-25-2017, 09:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What is “working class”?

I know a many wealthy people, and in my experience, the vast majority of them work. So are they “working class”?

Or is “working class” a nice way of saying “poor people”?

I define "working class" as those North Americans who work or who have a substantial work history, and also do not own their home and who are not in a position to buy a home. I believe that in most cases, owning a home or being able to buy a home makes a North American middle class. The "underclass" typically consists of those who do not own a home and who are not attached to the workforce.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's like that in California

Did you know there are people in California who would like to change that? Of course, people in California pay wildly unequal property taxes based on when their home was purchased.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
He never says, which is why I think he's being disingenuous
In one post he said his family of four lived on $50 a month, and immigrated to Canada with $700 you have to give a person credit for saving $700 when you get paid 31 cents an hour, assuming you saved $5 a month from your $50 income would take over almost 12 years

Last edited by 2sleepy; 11-25-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-25-2017, 09:24 AM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I went to a middle school where the teachers were great but students were awful, and then went to a high school where the students were great but that teachers were awful. Same school equipment etc.

The middle school was ranked the bottom of the barrel.
The high school was ranked top three in the country.

Why? The students and their responsibile parents.
So the two schools in your experience had similar school equipment. Was it adequate and in good working order? Or were the buildings and the equipment in dire need of repair? Do you know if those conditions were mostly uniform around the country or if there were areas with better conditions than others? How was it that the high school ranked so high if its teachers were so awful? Did the students not need the teachers to teach them because their economic status was high?

A country that doesn't allow private schooling sounds like one that is using its public schools for indoctrination as much as education. Did you find that to be a factor? I'm not basing that on anything other than curiosity.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Did you know there are people in California who would like to change that? Of course, people in California pay wildly unequal property taxes based on when their home was purchased.
I have no idea what you are talking about Prop 13 is still very popular in the state, sorry you don't like it but that's really off topic.

The point I was making is that schools in California are largely funded by the state and is per pupil, it does not vary by district.
Financing California's Public Schools - Public Policy Institute of California

Old 11-25-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about Prop 13 is still very popular in the state, sorry you don't like it but that's really off topic.

The point I was making is that schools in California are largely funded by the state and is per pupil, it does not vary by district.
Financing California's Public Schools - Public Policy Institute of California

You should probably know what's going on in your state.

Split-roll property tax would make California’s house of cards collapse – Orange County Register
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies