Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 10:50 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Why SHOULDN'T poorer people have better school districts too? Are you against children obtaining a good education?
See post #799
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 11:25 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Again for the millionth time, the quality of the school is a small part of the education experience of a student. Most of it is the attitude of the student, and that comes from how the student is taught at home to respect or not respect authority and education.

I went to one of those really rough schools with gang members everywhere, pregnant and proud teens up and down the hall ways, and school bullies had free reign over those of us who actually were there to learn. My family was poor and we lived in a really rough neighborhood. My parents worked minimum wage jobs. They taught us that education was our ticket out of that hell hole called poverty. And so we studied. All 5 of us now make 6 figures living in the upper middle class lifestyle.

Stop thinking throwing money at these schools will solve all their problems. Their problems stem from absent parents and children who don't care about education and disrespect authority. It starts at home.
I agree with a lot of these points, but my comment was made towards the OP and his bull**** charged question. The OP didn't want an intelligent argument, he wanted to create a question that would be like a booby trap for making the other side look bad

Old 11-25-2017, 05:40 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
What is and isn't morally bankrupt is a matter of opinion, not objective fact, and your opinion isn't better or more correct than anyone else's opinion.

Newsflash: -- People who disagree with you on certain things don't care if their opinions are 'something you can get behind' or not.
Your opinions are disgusting and elitist. If you have a good argument as to why working people don't deserve apartments I'm all ears but I doubt it.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:58 AM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How much would you personally be willing to pay? I thought you care about other people’s children.
I give my life. In case you missed it upthread, I teach in an inner city school with all the problems that we have mentioned. I could have stayed at NASA where I started back in 1979, but I answered the call to teach the poorest of the poor. My salary at 33 years in is $53,000. I'm giving back the other $50,000 per year I would be making by now if I had remained in computer engineering. I suppose that adds up to several hundreds of thousands of dollars by now.

Why are you opposed to ensuring that every American citizen receives a quality educational experience?

Old 11-25-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Again for the millionth time, the quality of the school is a small part of the education experience of a student. Most of it is the attitude of the student, and that comes from how the student is taught at home to respect or not respect authority and education.

I went to one of those really rough schools with gang members everywhere, pregnant and proud teens up and down the hall ways, and school bullies had free reign over those of us who actually were there to learn. My family was poor and we lived in a really rough neighborhood. My parents worked minimum wage jobs. They taught us that education was our ticket out of that hell hole called poverty. And so we studied. All 5 of us now make 6 figures living in the upper middle class lifestyle.

Stop thinking throwing money at these schools will solve all their problems. Their problems stem from absent parents and children who don't care about education and disrespect authority. It starts at home.
Certainly there were students at your school whose parents didn't emphasize education but who listened to their teachers and also studied their way into a middle class lifestyle.

I'm more concerned with what is provided to students by their country than I am with the outcomes. As you say, most of the problems rest on the attitudes of the students and their parents. What I am saying is that every school in the United States should have the minimum 21st century facilities and staff. We don't need to have students in decrepit buildings replete with mold and bacteria, peeling paint, backed up sewer systems, and leaking roofs as we do in my building. That situation is replicated in many inner city and rural districts around the country. The reason relies on the funding process of basing school spending on the property values of their districts. That may have worked a hundred years ago when most students only needed a grade-school education to be able to work in their communities.

Today we are having to prepare our citizens for employment in a more global marketplace. It is unrealistic to expect poor children to be able to compete with the offspring of the wealthy and middle class when they don't even have certified teachers in the classrooms. Our state is suffering a teacher shortage, so rather than improve pay and conditions for teachers, they are reducing the qualifications to allow warm bodies in the classroom with no preparation other than a degree in the subjects they intend to teach.

Teaching may look easy, but there is a large substrate of knowledge that goes into being able to break down learning tasks for a variety of students and their various learning modalities. The law of supply and demand breaks down when legislatures change the ground rules of setting teacher pay to increase the applicant pool by lowering standards. Personally I don't think it will make much difference because the pay and working conditions are so bad that most reasonable people would say not "No" but "Hell, no!"

Some states have initiated programs to intervene with parents beginning with the birth of their child. I think that might be the way to go. In Mississippi, three fifths of the children entering kindergarten have the vocabulary of a 2-year-old toddler. Early childhood education with a focus on language development would help enormously. That is what many industrialized nations have done with great success.

I don't want to "throw money" at schools. I want to ensure that all US citizens experience a uniform, high quality educational experience. What they do with that will vary. What I want to eliminate is having poor children attend poor schools where the poverty is evident at first glance. If every child experiences a middle-class education, then it will be easier for him to reach the middle class himself.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:21 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Rich people can afford to send their kids to private schools.

Tax dollars for schools should be used to ensure that one can get an equally good education at any public school.

By your rationale, all public servives should be better in wealthier areas. The roads the wealthy drive on, their garbage collection service, their water service, DMV offices...all better. After all, they pay more in total tax dollars.

How does privatization of a government of, by, & for the people work out for the people? Cui bono? 'To whose benefit?' 'For whose advantage?'

For one stunning example, who has benefited from the privatization of prisons?

Quote:
Executive Summary

The imprisonment of human beings at record levels is both a moral failure and an economic one — especially at a time when more and more Americans are struggling to make ends meet and when state governments confront enormous fiscal crises. This report finds, however, that mass incarceration provides a gigantic windfall for one special interest group — the private prison industry — even as current incarceration levels harm the country as a whole. While the nation's unprecedented rate of imprisonment deprives individuals of freedom, wrests loved ones from their families, and drains the resources of governments, communities, and taxpayers, the private prison industry reaps lucrative rewards. As the public good suffers from mass incarceration, private prison companies obtain more and more government dollars, and private prison executives at the leading companies rake in enormous compensation packages, in some cases totaling millions of dollars. ...
BANKING ON BONDAGE: PRIVATE PRISONS AND MASS INCARCERATION

https://www.aclu.org/banking-bondage...-incarceration

Old 11-25-2017, 07:12 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I give my life. In case you missed it upthread, I teach in an inner city school with all the problems that we have mentioned. I could have stayed at NASA where I started back in 1979, but I answered the call to teach the poorest of the poor. My salary at 33 years in is $53,000. I'm giving back the other $50,000 per year I would be making by now if I had remained in computer engineering. I suppose that adds up to several hundreds of thousands of dollars by now.

Why are you opposed to ensuring that every American citizen receives a quality educational experience?
So essentially $0. I got you.

How much more hypocritical can this get?

Old 11-25-2017, 07:14 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Why SHOULDN'T poorer people have better school districts too? Are you against children obtaining a good education?
How to educate your children is YOUR responsibility.

Why is this such a difficult concept to understand?

Old 11-25-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
So essentially $0. I got you.

How much more hypocritical can this get?
Really? What is hypocritical about caring so much that you spend your life doing a job that few others are willing to do? And by the way, I do pay my taxes.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
How to educate your children is YOUR responsibility.

Why is this such a difficult concept to understand?
We live in a society that over 100 years ago decided that education for all children was a societal benefit. Since then, most people have used this benefit. Why is this such a difficult concept to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies