Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 09:10 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,289,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
No God given(natural) rights then? Rights of circumstance only? I say a society that cannot handle the rights it has inherited is not adequate to the task of deciding which rights it shall secure for its children.
Right to bear arms is a man-made right, and as such is subject to re-evaluation. And to continue to hang onto a Constitution written centuries ago in a different world without letting current events dictate the need to amending/updating is either naive or stubborn.

I get freedom and rights, but it is not an absolute.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
An AR-15 is an assault rifle and it only costs $500 - $2500
Aurora: AR-15
Orlando: AR-15
Las Vegas: AR-15
Sandy Hook: AR-15
Texas Church: AR-15
San Bernardino: AR-15
Parkland: AR-15

Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Right to bear arms is a man-made right, and as such is subject to re-evaluation. And to continue to hang onto a Constitution written centuries ago in a different world without letting current events dictate the need to amending/updating is either naive or stubborn.

I get freedom and rights, but it is not an absolute.
If freedom and rights are not absolute... then you have a real problem....

Old 02-15-2018, 09:12 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Aurora: AR-15
Orlando: AR-15
Las Vegas: AR-15
Sandy Hook: AR-15
Texas Church: AR-15
San Bernardino: AR-15
Parkland: AR-15
What is the difference between an AR-15 and a handgun? The way it looks...

Old 02-15-2018, 09:13 AM

937 posts, read 928,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Probably harder to get a firearm today. Many states have licensing programs and FBI background checks prior to purchase.
I dunno. I think, regardless of regulations, gun distribution is definitely wider today than 50 years ago.
I can walk down the street to a local pawn shop and get one right now.
50 years ago.... Actually... Maybe not....
America is weird.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:14 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,004,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The so-called "gun control" advocates have spent the last several decades proving (inadvertently) that their half measures do not work. "Assault weapons" bans, waiting periods, "gun free" zones, background checks, and all the rest rarely reduce the crime rate, and often result in an increase instead. And yet they keep coming back and saying we need "just a little more" of their "reasonable restrictions".

When they point to countries whose results they like, they invariably point to places like England, Japan, Australia, etc. - countries that have almost completely banned guns from their subjects.

Take the hint.

In fact, complete bans of all guns are the only things that have ever reduced "gun crimes". And they must be accompanied by ruthless confiscation. Advocates who say they want "just some reasonable regulations", know by now they won't work. The only thing they could now be intending, is an eventual complete ban on all guns. While pretending they will do only just a little, to fool you into going along with "just a little". And then next year, just a little more.

Their total gun bans must be accompanied by SWAT teams going door to door to every house and apartment in America, taking people's guns whether they want to give them up or not. They know that many people will object to giving up their guns voluntarily... but a gun ban won't work unless everybody turns in their guns.

Advocates who say they want a few "reasonable regulations", are either astonishingly ignorant of the results of their own policies, or are lying to you.
I completely agree, I would like to ask those on here to point out in the enumerated powers of the Constitution to where the federal government has the right to enact any fire arm laws. These are State issues and should be addressed by the States.

36,543 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
And yet, and yet, in countries where it's harder to get a gun, these things rarely happen. In this country, we are awash in them with practically free-reign. No questions asked, even for an AR-15.
And yet, and yet in this country when it was easy peasy to get a gun these things rarely happened.
I was in high school from 1974 to 1978. At that time anyone could buy a gun at the flea market along with the ammo. You could buy them at nearly any retail store or hardware store. No background checks, no waiting period. It was a common site to see guns on gun racks in trucks in the parking lot of the school. Even see some gun trading going on during lunch period. So why did we not have school shootings then?

13,973 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
What is wrong with Trump? What is wrong with Republicans in Congress? A law that makes it easier for the mentally ill to buy guns? What kind of idiot would vote for that? The day will come when there will be blood on the hands of Trump and Congress for voting for this nonsensical bill.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...mental-illness
That bill rolled back a piece of abject tyranny that removed a natural individual right without due process.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:18 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I completely agree, I would like to ask those on here to point out in the enumerated powers of the Constitution to where the federal government has the right to enact any fire arm laws. These are State issues and should be addressed by the States.
The RIGHT to keep, and bear arms is not a State's rights issue. It is a Natural Right we possess as humans. The states all agreed to abide by the Constitution when they became states, and that includes the Second Amendment. Any restrictions states, and cities put on firearms is illegal, and UnConstitutional. The fact that activist courts uphold them is plain WRONG.

Government in the U.S. does not grant us rights.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:19 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,004,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
That bill rolled back a piece of abject tyranny that removed a natural individual right without due process.
Agreed, but some people just don't care about little things like tyranny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies