Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:51 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times

Advertisements

These same scientist are claiming farting cows/livestock are playing a major role in greenhouse gases/global warming, Lol.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:55 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
A regular gas burner car is more environmentally friendly to build than a hybrid.

You are wrecking the planet.
Listen, maybe you are right and there is nothing we can do. This planet is fated for environmental catastrophe because there is nothing we can do but enjoy the ride before we go over the cliff. More than a few people would agree with you.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:58 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The point is taking incremental steps to confront the coming environmental tsunami. It doesn't mean going from cars to horses, it means taking steps to reduce fossil fuel dependence, weaning off plastics, halting over fishing and taking better care of our natural resources.

My parents sacrificed for me and I will sacrifice for my children if it means a better life for them.
I don't why that is such a radical proposition these days.
You don't seem to get the fact that a couple billion people living in mud huts are moving out of those mud huts and will be greatly outpacing any reductions we make.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:59 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I can predict with a fairly high degree of certainty how this thread will go (assuming it does just die instantly): A high percentage of people will simply dismiss those "alarmist" left-wing kooks without taking any time to seriously consider the issues that they raise. In the minds of a lot of people, "science" is simply a synonym for "left-wing conspiracy." I predict that very few will even attempt to offer any serious scientific evidence to refute the claims. Those few who bother to give links or references to evidence that is supposed to refute the worries of these scientist will post links that trace back to mostly blogs and opinion articles, rather than to actual scientific literature. And the justification for this, of course, will go back the conspiracy theory: The claim will be that peer-review is worthless because the leftists have taken control over the scientific publications.

The sad fact, however, is that we do indeed have some serious environmental catastrophes in the making and our best hope is to pay serious attention to the scientists who, unfortunately, are now being ignored by a significant portion of the American public (and by the politicians they've elected). Instead of scientists vs. scientists engaged in deeply informed debate, we have scientists vs. political ideology, and science is losing some key battles.

Nevertheless, for what it's worth, here is the short article (it's only 3 pages long):

http://scientistswarning.forestry.or...rning_2017.pdf

The graphs on page 2 give a quick snapshot of the problems we are facing.

Obviously, truth is not determined by the number of people making a claim. These 15,000 scientists could all be wrong. But, personally, I wouldn't bet against them.

"...humanity must practice a more environmentally sustainable alternative to business as usual."

With all due respect to science and the resumes of those in the article what they are saying does not take a PhD in anything to figure out. I don't personally need a Nobel Laurette to tel me that s*** flows down hill. And there are a LOT of people using the planet for a toilet. The major corporations that run the worlds industry are all about nothing more than the bottom line.

The US has all these environmental regs governing industry, so the powers that be have offshored their production facilities to places that don't worry about emissions or where they dump the waste from industry. China, SE Asia, the PI, Mexico etc.

Russia and Japan still slaughter whales and dolphins wholesale and have fleets of mega boats trawling enough fish out of the oceans to decimate whole species with no backing off for recovery. The lumber industry n the US still cuts massive amounts of forest, they just offshore all the milling. I didn't have to get but a few paragraphs into the article to figure out where it was going.

I may lean a bit more right in my politics, but that doesn't make me blind. Or simple. However, I believe the planet will outlive humanity. It may have to take another hit from a comet or pop off Yellowstone. But t will still live through it whereas humanity won't. And there's no amount of money that will keep the corporate big wigs alive through whatever is coming either.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:12 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Sounds like mankind should listen and start changing their ways, but as we see some never will, let's hope their great grandchildren spit on their graves for what they get stuck with, If there even are any great grandchildren around to do it.
Mankind tends to learn lessons the hard way, when he learns at all, this will be one very hard lesson for all.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:15 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I can predict with a fairly high degree of certainty how this thread will go (assuming it does just die instantly): A high percentage of people will simply dismiss those "alarmist" left-wing kooks without taking any time to seriously consider the issues that they raise. In the minds of a lot of people, "science" is simply a synonym for "left-wing conspiracy." I predict that very few will even attempt to offer any serious scientific evidence to refute the claims. Those few who bother to give links or references to evidence that is supposed to refute the worries of these scientist will post links that trace back to mostly blogs and opinion articles, rather than to actual scientific literature. And the justification for this, of course, will go back the conspiracy theory: The claim will be that peer-review is worthless because the leftists have taken control over the scientific publications.

The sad fact, however, is that we do indeed have some serious environmental catastrophes in the making and our best hope is to pay serious attention to the scientists who, unfortunately, are now being ignored by a significant portion of the American public (and by the politicians they've elected). Instead of scientists vs. scientists engaged in deeply informed debate, we have scientists vs. political ideology, and science is losing some key battles.

Nevertheless, for what it's worth, here is the short article (it's only 3 pages long):

http://scientistswarning.forestry.or...rning_2017.pdf

The graphs on page 2 give a quick snapshot of the problems we are facing.

Obviously, truth is not determined by the number of people making a claim. These 15,000 scientists could all be wrong. But, personally, I wouldn't bet against them.

"...humanity must practice a more environmentally sustainable alternative to business as usual."
How ironic that many conservatives have no interest in conserving the earth.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:21 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
This is the mantra of the anti-science crowd. I used to believe it was willful ignorance, but it isn't, it is simply the core value of all conservatives: concern only for oneself.
Feel free to live in a cave and eat raw meat.

I will be responsible for myself.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:22 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I refuse to change the way I live. I will burn wood to heat my home. I will drive what I please. Those that are terrified can change their ways.
I do what I can, but we need a government to regulate industry. I cannot regulate industry, I can only ask my government to do that and vote for those who will. We can lead the world on this, but today in Bonn, Germany, we proved the be the laughingstock of the world.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:23 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
How ironic that many conservatives have no interest in conserving the earth.
Or any regard for their children or children's children.... truly selfish and devoid of any humanity.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:26 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
These same scientist are claiming farting cows/livestock are playing a major role in greenhouse gases/global warming, Lol.
That's because they are. Industrial livestock is indeed a chief contributor, but perhaps as bad as industrial livestock operations is the clear cutting of regions (like in Brazil. for example, and elsewhere around the world) where natures defense to climate change is clear cut to make way for cattle ranches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.