Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 06:58 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times

Advertisements

Believe or die! Same stupid crap and same stupid people who believe...

Old 11-13-2017, 07:09 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
I eat a lot of steaks to help cut down the cow population.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:12 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I can predict with a fairly high degree of certainty how this thread will go (assuming it does just die instantly): A high percentage of people will simply dismiss those "alarmist" left-wing kooks without taking any time to seriously consider the issues that they raise. In the minds of a lot of people, "science" is simply a synonym for "left-wing conspiracy." I predict that very few will even attempt to offer any serious scientific evidence to refute the claims. Those few who bother to give links or references to evidence that is supposed to refute the worries of these scientist will post links that trace back to mostly blogs and opinion articles, rather than to actual scientific literature. And the justification for this, of course, will go back the conspiracy theory: The claim will be that peer-review is worthless because the leftists have taken control over the scientific publications.

The sad fact, however, is that we do indeed have some serious environmental catastrophes in the making and our best hope is to pay serious attention to the scientists who, unfortunately, are now being ignored by a significant portion of the American public (and by the politicians they've elected). Instead of scientists vs. scientists engaged in deeply informed debate, we have scientists vs. political ideology, and science is losing some key battles.

Nevertheless, for what it's worth, here is the short article (it's only 3 pages long):

http://scientistswarning.forestry.or...rning_2017.pdf

The graphs on page 2 give a quick snapshot of the problems we are facing.

Obviously, truth is not determined by the number of people making a claim. These 15,000 scientists could all be wrong. But, personally, I wouldn't bet against them.

"...humanity must practice a more environmentally sustainable alternative to business as usual."

while I agree we need to be better custodians of our planet....

this pdf "viewpoint" opinion piece is interesting, their ''steps'' show a interesting direction....sounds like they want the liberal destruction of humans...

Quote:
(b) maintaining nature’s ecosystem services by halting the conversion of forests, grasslands, and other native habitats;
so we should stop man from building

Quote:
(h) further reducing fertility rates
hmmm..sounds like the liberal eugenics program

Quote:
(l) revising our economy to reduce wealth inequality and ensure that prices, taxation, and incentive systems take into account the real costs which consumption patterns impose on our environment
more liberal tripe of stealing for one to give to others...

Quote:
estimating a scientifically defensible, sustainable human population size for the long term while rallying nations and leaders to support that vital goal.
wow...liberals pushing more genocide....

Last edited by workingclasshero; 11-13-2017 at 07:21 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 07:30 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
No reason to worry much about this....robots will be taking over the planet and solving the issue!

Old 11-13-2017, 07:32 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Are you going to build a billion cars and two billion mopeds out of recycled toilet paper?

Okay, I am not saying you are foolish, but that statement, however, is foolish.

First, you don't need to build "a billion cars and two bullion mopeds" because any vehicle that runs on diesel now can run on biodiesel. It literally just requires changing a few filters and a few other "soft parts," but even that is unnecessary.

Rudolph Diesel originally designed his engine to run on plant oil, it's just that at the time when it caught on during the wars petrodiesel was was the most readily available. But his engine is still the same design.

Every single truck you see on the road can work with fuel made from algae, right now.

If the government passed a biodiesel mandate, saying all diesel sold must be at least B10 (10% biodiesel) in five years it would be an easily attained goal and would create many good jobs right in the US, and ease our dependency on the Islamic fundamentalist regimes in places like Saudi Arabia and would put us on the coarse to complete energy independence and a sustainable energy sector...

...but the Saudis love to pay off our politicians, both Republican and Democrat, and the yokels of this country refuse to be educated on the real issues and the "progressives" are too busy burning bras and screaming for "safe spaces" to do anything.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:37 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Yes we should. There is absolutely no reason why we should be destroying farmland, forests, wetlands, and other green spaces for the suburbs and exurbs. Not only do we need to repopulate our cities, but we also need to densify our existing suburbs. Furthermore, we need to connect them to core cities via rail. We need to cut our reliance on cars and living in suburban/exurban areas.

I quietly weep whenever I see a generic, bland, cookie-cutter McMansion being built upon what was formerly farmland.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That's because they are. Industrial livestock is indeed a chief contributor, but perhaps as bad as industrial livestock operations is the clear cutting of regions (like in Brazil. for example, and elsewhere around the world) where natures defense to climate change is clear cut to make way for cattle ranches.

It isn't the raising of life stock per se, but rather the way it is raised. Cows feeding on grass produce less methane than ones feeding on corn, and other bovines are even better.

I never understood why the government doesn't produce incentives to farm yaks in places like Montana, Alaska, and the Dakotas where farming cows is next to impossible. Yaks produce nowhere near the methane of cows, grow in the harshest environments, and taste like lean beef...mostly because they are so similar to cows genetically.

But the cattle industry has a massive lobby, so they will keep factory raising cows in ways that pollute more than the average coal power plant.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:44 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
The only non-fake thing on there is human population growth. But if you want to address that then you need to take your crusade to India, China, and muslim countries.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:46 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
while I agree we need to be better custodians of our planet....

this pdf "viewpoint" opinion piece is interesting, their ''steps'' show a interesting direction....sounds like they want the liberal destruction of humans...

hmmm..sounds like the liberal eugenics program

more liberal tripe of stealing for one to give to others...

wow...liberals pushing more genocide....
Thanks for your response, but it seems to me there is something missing. For each of the scientist's suggestions that you don't like, perhaps you can offer an alternative? You agree that we need to be better custodians of our planet, so how would you suggest that we be better custodians, in light of each of the problems the scientists are pointing to?

Old 11-13-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Yes we should. There is absolutely no reason why we should be destroying farmland, forests, wetlands, and other green spaces for the suburbs and exurbs. Not only do we need to repopulate our cities, but we also need to densify our existing suburbs. Furthermore, we need to connect them to core cities via rail. We need to cut our reliance on cars and living in suburban/exurban areas.

I quietly weep whenever I see a generic, bland, cookie-cutter McMansion being built upon what was formerly farmland.

Exactly right about the ugly McMansions...I find it funny that the "muh traditional values!" people who want to take America back to the 1950s never stop and look at the homes of the 1950s. The Beaver and Ozzy and Harriet weren't living in McMansions and commuting an hour by SUV to and from work.

But people should build, only we should build smart. Instead of tearing down forests and farmland, they could easily redevelop existing developed areas with newer, better homes. And that doesn't mean people couldn't have a nice garage and backyard, just that it should be built to function and to last, and not built just for size and gaudy grandeur.

That's what a sustainable house built on old farmland looks like. Not exactly an "apartment downtown."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies